redrock is offline Member

Punched a door, is my hand broken?

Before the story, i'll just say that is the pain isn't gone within the next 5 days, I will go to the dr. but i'm a college student and I really can't afford the bills of a dr.s visit.

Anyhow, I was on the phone with my dad and got really upset. I threw the phone and as I walked by the door in my room, I punched it. I cut my knuckles pretty good and I have about 50% of my grip strength. This happened on saturday.

There's no bruising and it's not excrutiating pain, just really tender on a couple of fingers and parts of my hand. I have full range of motion in my fingers, it's just that my pinkie and ring finger hurt a lot. Thoughts? Thanks guys, RR

BTW, I put a pretty wicked dent in a solid wood door.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Doesn't your college force you to participate in a healthcare plan?

Also take note: doors are hard.....

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    Happy New Year redrock...breaking stuff huh..."hit the pillow" as i say... geez how swollen is it, thats usually how i can tell if i broke a knuckle... It should heal, just ice it or heat it if neccessary...

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico

Also take note: doors are hard.....
    I know that now! Where were you last week?

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    It might be fractured but I don't think it broke.........I say that because u have full rom with your fingers.......is there any swelling around the knuckles or your fingers........when I punched a metal framed door, my knuckles and hand where swollin for about 3 days with some loss of grip strength........mine was a fractured knuckle....mine didn't bruise either.

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    I wouldnt worry bout it unless it dont get any better in the next few days. usually when that happens to me its just another scar on my knuckle

Quote Originally Posted by monster.
    Happy New Year redrock...breaking stuff huh..."hit the pillow" as i say... geez how swollen is it, thats usually how i can tell if i broke a knuckle... It should heal, just ice it or heat it if neccessary...
    None of the knuckles are swollen. The back of my hand is the swollen part. It seems like i've been getting better range of motion. Just the same amount of pain.
    I have been able to use the fingers more. It's just the pain that hasn't gone away. I guess i'll give it another week. Thanks, RR

Quote Originally Posted by bornbad71
    It might be fractured but I don't think it broke.........I say that because u have full rom with your fingers.......is there any swelling around the knuckles or your fingers........
    Yeah slight swelling on pinkie and ring finger, no swelling on knuckle. Swelling is all on the top of hand, and palm. RR

Quote Originally Posted by redrock
    Yeah slight swelling on pinkie and ring finger, no swelling on knuckle. Swelling is all on the top of hand, and palm. RR
    Sounds like it's gonna be a fracture.......if the pain is not better in a few days, go get it x-rays.........for now try ibuprofen for the pain.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    if you're in school, they definitely have healthcare facilities on campus that are free, if not free, definitely cheap, it should come with your tuition

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Hold off on the Doc's office..Try ice several times a day along with OTC anti-inflammatories..No heat as this tends to dry out the area and increase pain and swelling..Ice only..20 minutes per session..If the pain and discomfort does not subside in another few days, it may require an x-ray to determine if there is in fact a fracture..Also, and I think this goes without saying, don't hit anymore doors!!

Doc M

Xavier_4446 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds to me like a hairline fracture. I got one of those in my leg once. They're pretty painful but not really any signs of a fracture is present

lloyd_cannon is offline Associate Member
    in the words of a highschool coach...
    "walk it off son" No I'm sure it will get better just immobilize and dont move it if its healing moving doesnt really help untill its well enough to be rehabilitated. I broke my sisters finger rough housing and the doctor just set it straight and put one of those finger casts on it
    and ultra sound too i guess after it healed to try and break up any bone floating around. It hurt for a long time she said I felt so bad. and its still kinda crooked today

hoss827 is offline Banned
    I punched a wall and broke my wrist once. I dont think its broken really...maybe fractured, or maybe you just hurt ou

hoss827 is offline Banned
    *your fingers really bad, heat it for an hour, then ice it . And if ya have to get some painkillers from someone!

Quote Originally Posted by hoss827
    *your fingers really bad, heat it for an hour, then ice it . And if ya have to get some painkillers from someone!
    Doc M said no heat..........but pain killers are goooooooooooood

I can see we need to take your key board from u.

Thread Information