Big Canadian is offline New Member

Hammer Strength Fans/Users-Please give me your $.02

I train at home. Yesterday I went to Toronto and took measurements of a Hammer Strength Iso Front Military press machine with the intent of making one. It will be a 100% exact replica. Hammer Strength made two different versions. The one I measured-frame is 90 degress front to back, bottom to top. The newer version-frame tapers front to back, bottom to top. I think the movement is the same for both of them. The reason I choose this shoulder machine is if I want to hit shoulders I put the seat quite low. If I have the seat up as high as possible it turns into a "super incline" press. I like the fact I can work two body parts with one machine (space is limited in my garage). I have all the basics, I'm now looking at getting a couple of "nice" extra's. I doubt I'll have over $300 into it when I'm finished (I'll bet closer to $250). Does anyone use the Hammer Front Military on a regular basis (what version do you use)? Should I go for it? For any regular users-would the shoulder press movement feel better if the whole seat unit could be tilted forward or backward (I would make a pivot point at the bottom). The back pad could be as straight as 90 degress or as low as 30-40 degress for the incline press. I have only used it twice so I just wanted opinions/advice from anyone who has access to it all the time. Thanks.
    Last edited by Big Canadian; 11-25-2003 at 12:07 PM.

D3m3nt3d is offline AR's Whore D'Oeuvre
    I personally use it and like it. I dont know what version I use. It presses pretty much directly over my head with maybe a slight frontwards angle, but it is none the less effective. I also like to use the smith machine with the locking bar to do the military presses

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    I use it and I love it but I have no clue how the hell u are goin to build a exact replica unless u are some sort of contractor with an expertese in steal work... Any way GOOD LUCK BRO...

Bigboy 123 never underestimate Big Canadian! LOL. Dad has a machine shop with 40 years experience welding/fabricating. I myself am no slouch but don't weld on a regular basis. I don't know all the little tricks, so if I run into any trouble, he is available for consultation. The frame is actually straight forward. I brought a machinist protractor with me to get the angles right (the first time I measured one I gave up because I couldn't get the angles). The tubing that the arms rest on-30 degress. The tubing the bearings bolt to for the arms-70 degress. The seat is angled at 62 degress (give or take a degree because I had to eye ball it and my eyesight isn't worth a shit!!). Just having fun with you Bigboy 123. Thanks for the quick replies D3m3nt3d and Bigboy!!!

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I would make a Hammer Strength base jammer. Most all around functional Hammer machine.
    http://www.hammerstrength.com/produc...l/hs_plate.asp

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    do you have a home-made smith machine in your gargage?? thats one of THE MOST useful pieces of equipment in the gym IMO

you can work out any muscle group.

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    please post some pics when you get done bro.......that would be interesting to see

calidude is offline Senior Member
    Good Luck

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, def good luck.... When ur done post some pics because im sure it will be awsome....

Weld ON

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. I stopped in to see dad last night and I've bought my metal and I know how much the bearings are. I think it will only be $200-225. Not bad when a new one would run me 2400-2600. And I guaran-****-tee the real Hammer and mine will be the same. I am going to post pics on all the boards I put this thread on. My big problem right now is trying to find out how thick the tubing has to be and I actually popped off an end cap to look. I just wasn't smart enough to get my tape measure and check it. bigol'legs I have a smith machine. It's not counter balanced (who gives a ****), but it's good and heavy. I just want variety.

TheChosen1 is offline Member
    Good Luck, bro.

Due to the fact that I have never worked out with a partner, I prefer to use the Hammer Strength machines when training. IMO it's safe as cable machines and as strong as benches/barbell systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Canadian
    I am going to post pics on all the boards I put this thread on.
    Can't wait to see the pics... Am a bit of an amateur welder myself (got a MIG welder) to fix things around the country house.

I was looking at the hammer strength machines at the gym yesterday thinking about this thread and came to the conclusion most can be easily duplicated at a fraction of the cost. Only thing is that the welds (painted over ) all appear to be TIG, not everyone can do clean TIG welds.

For bearings and pillow blocks check out Kinecor (formerly National-Bearings), I used to deal with them a lot here in Canada.

Keep us updated on your progress bro!

Red

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    The newer version that places the load just forward of your verticle plane is the safer one. It will save you from rotator cuff and shoulder pain down the line.

I don't know if you remember - but using the older version, you had to sit with your chest on the pad (backwards) to get the safer angle. Sitting with your back on the pad put the load behind your neck. Hammer fixed that issue by moving the load more in front for a safer front military press - and thats the version you would want to invest in.

BDTR is offline Retired
    If someone wants to build me a hammerstrength machine that can hold more than 5 45 lbers on each end feel free to. I can no longer use any of the machines in my gym and its depressing. Do they make them any higher? Maybe my gym just got the girly ones.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    hehe bdtr I got the same problem with the leg press machine.. **** start having people stand on the machines...

Thread Information