Thread: Good Ole' Days

LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member

Good Ole' Days

I was involved in a thread about my bench and it brought back some memories about back in the days when big benching was just very common. I mean if you say you used to push 500lbs no one doubted you but now a days. Its uncommon. I dont know about you guys but I miss the days before 88-89 before the ban went into affect. I remember back in the days at this gym everyone was huge. Steroids was good and legal. Nothing was fake. No one had to worry. No one had to hush up and look over there shoulders. Now its an underworld society. I hate what its turned into. I feel like a vampire on buffy the vampire slayer.

I mean back in the old days this gym I used to go to. Every one was benching 500lbs on a bench. Who wasn't? 400-500 it was common. Everyone was doing a BB show and they had contests after contests. Contests for best parts and for best build. Everyone had trophies for something. N steroids?? Well man I remember in the posing room one guy was doing leg shots. He was prepping up for a show. He didnt like his legs. He kept saying "my legs are to small, I dont like em". So he reaches into his duffel bag and pulls out a needle and a bottle. Shoots his quads right there in the whole gym. No one said a thing. He'd come back later and wham all good. I seen that all the time. Seen a guy training his triceps. He was doing rope pull downs and didnt like the horse shoe look with his outer tricep so he pulls out of his pants a bottle of something and a needle. Goes in the posing room shoots his tricep and goes about his business.

I remember when a guy would come with a suit case of gear. He'd come in after a trip to austria. This guy still compete's profesionally by the way (no names) but man the guys would swarm him when he walked in the door. It was like... whatcha got? whatcha got?

I mean now it just sickens me. I cant say nothing to nobody. I know even on this board its that way. I dont trust you, you dont trust me.... I dont know you, you dont know me. I always have to be careful what I say who I say it to. Is this fake, is that fake? Now im even wondering if I picked a bad name and getting a lil paranoid who's reading my posts.

I remember after that ban omg... the raids. Everyone got busted. It was crazy. My buddy almost got deported for coming back on the plane with his gear. And now the prices....wtf? Dude the prices are just a freaking mess.

I miss my old gym. I had so much fun in that gym and my old buddies. It was so much fun hanging out in the juice bar after training. We were the shiit back then. Now its dead. I drive by that gym and shun at walking in there. Its a joke. The owner sold it. Its a teenage highschool hang out now. No professionals train there anymore. I remember one time the Barbarian brothers came to my gym to train. I'll never see that again.

I went to a Arnold Classic down in Ohio 2 years ago. Wow that was fun. I fealt like I was in my element then. Watched the show and hung out at that bar downtown there think it was called red light or lounge or something red. Man there was tons of BB's from everywhere in there. All the clubs and diners were full of bodybuilders. Just like it used to be here. Being at that show was the most spiritual uplifting I had ever felt in years. I met arnold ate dinner with him. Met joe wieder and his wife. Ate with them.

Im going again. Thats where I belong is in that element. I miss my gym. I miss the old days when bodybuilding was fun. I miss everyone. WTF has it turned into now...

I mean god dudes I have to search the internet and hide under a screen name. Kids popping on here asking questions how to sneek gear across the border. I have watch what I say and to who I say it to. I cant find gear for the life of me. I mean now Im cool but thank god for the internet I guess.

Its just...I dont know dudes..i just dont know what to say anymore. You guys should see my buddy. He still competes professionaly but he's so scared and freaked out because all he knows is bodybuilding but look what has happened to the sport. He has no job skills and obviously he is on gear duh like u cant tell and he gets no respect here like bodybuilding is the poison root of society. The guys in tears and now I dont talk to him much no more. He's selling freaking phones for peanuts now. I dont know no more man...my book is done here.
    Last edited by LuvMyRoids; 11-28-2003 at 02:02 PM.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Looks like I was born in the wrong time.....I would of loved to have lived back then lifting with the big boys and all that goes along with it......at least you lived it...I can only read about it......and a 500lb bench has always been a big deal to me......I'd love to hit that someday.......im probaly around 365 or so.......but hopefully after my 1st cycle(now) I'll be hitting over 400.....that to me will be a great accomplishment in itself....

Da Bull is offline Banned
    yeah bro I remember those days,was a blast going into the gym and everyone was huge,although I did not partake in the use of gear then,I felt to little was known about the drugs and I wanted to see if people were going to start dropping like flies before I took my first step,but yes it was a fun time to see all the monsters putting up weight you rarely see anymore.Those days are now past,but the knowledge and info these days makes it a much safer sport for those with any smarts about them anyway.I enjoyed your post...All the best..DB

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    **** Im with mass on this one.. i was born to late!

but **** you got to eat with arnold? **** thats cool in itself!

LostUp is offline Associate Member
    If only I could have started working out when I was 5! I would have been all set, that sounds awesome. Makes what I do now sound pretty depressing!

BDTR is offline Retired
    I dont remember those days.. i'm only 24.. I do remember the days way back in the day last week though when i finally hit 500 on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    I dont remember those days.. i'm only 24.. I do remember the days way back in the day last week though when i finally hit 500 on the bench.
    LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Awesome Bdtr.....I cant wait to hit 400.....

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    I envy your past with the experiences youve had, i mean how many of us can casually say"i ate with arnold" i mean thats some **** in itself. But what i cant understand is how can it be legal one minute then illegal the next? was there like a 12 month amnesty say like" hey you in 12 months thats it" or was it over night? You wont ever see that with alcohol or tabacoo will you? NO because the governments reap in too much tax. Would someone be kind enough to point me towards some literature about when it all changed............Hitman

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/new/commonknow.html

I surfed the net to find something for anyone about what happened. I thought it happened in 89 but it was 90. Seemed earlier to me. Read the link above. That is very informational. I remember an agent pushing for this act also and we just hated this guy in the gyms. I'd have to find his name also. But what happened was the steroid use spilled into high schools and teens began using them. I remember reading articles in the paper deaths being linked to steroid abuse . I do remember one guy that was in his basement around the block from me. He was younger didnt know him but I read he tested for steroids after an autopsy. He was found dead on his bench bench pressing. They claimed his heart stopped suddenly due to the abuse. So I guess that and incidents across the nation got congress and legislation involved. Thats why the members here and mods shun away the teens coming here looking for gear.

Oh yah and to answer your question about over night. Shiit did hit the fan over night. Dude I remember the entire gym getting raided. They asked the gym owner questions. Everybody and there brother was getting popped over night. It was snitchville too. Everyone was telling on everyone to get out of the jams too. Lot of bs was going down. Fingers being pointed. That was just where I was from. I can imagine how much activity was going on across the country.
    Last edited by LuvMyRoids; 11-29-2003 at 12:41 AM.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    reminds me of the song by the Judds - Graaaaaaaaannnndddpa, tell me bout the good ol days"

I was out in LA not long after the ban - worked out with the Barbarians and a bunch of them - Ahhhhnold came in too sometimes - I didnt know much about juice back then (was only 190lbs but pretty ripped) but I had a buddy who was jacked up on it and he was always complaining that they were so expensive then, blah blah. I do remember in college a buddy got tons of them at the local gym without any problem. Some seriously freaky dudes hung out at golds and powerhouse back then - I remember one guy came in whose leg was as big around as my waiste I was thinking -WOW- what the heck was he doing?

Yah dude Powerhouse gym that was it. Man I remember this dude that was like a giant and when he walked his leg thigh just shook like a freaking slab of meat bouncing back and forth.

You met the barbarian brothers too? Yah they were halarious and strong. I remember watching one of them inclining like 3 plates on each side of the bar like it was nothing. Stan Fredryck brought them in he was hanging with them while they were in town.

Its good ta hear someone else was around back in the days. Knew someone else on this board had to be around then. I remember the original powerhouse in detroit on woodward and then they opened up one on van dyke in centerline. I went back n forth. It was no gym it was a cage for human gorilla's.
    Last edited by LuvMyRoids; 11-29-2003 at 01:29 AM.

roch is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    I remember one guy came in whose leg was as big around as my waiste I was thinking -WOW- what the heck was he doing?
    yeah thats big'ol. 32.5" is bigger than my waist at certain times

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    a 500lb bench is still impressive but a lot of guys lie about how much the bench press........i dont care what anyone says..........i only know personally 4(including me that bench well over 500) now ive seen some 600, 700lb benches but i didnt know them or train with them........its not an easy thing to accomplish. i reciently hit a 545pause......hell it kinda scared me to know that i have that kind of power in me

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I gots to know - are you talking about over 500 was common using the powerlifting shirts and what not? I hear them shirts can assist an extra 100 pounds on the bar...
    Last edited by Warrior; 11-30-2003 at 12:53 AM.

Danielle is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePower
    but a lot of guys lie about how much the bench press........
    why does every friggin guy lie about how much they bench?!?!........
    .......WTF?........guess they think that girls are clueeless and will believe they all bench like 500+.......lol....then i see like almost evey guy struggling with 2 plates.........
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    why does every friggin guy lie about how much they bench?!?!........
    .......WTF?........guess they think that girls are clueeless and will believe they all bench like 500+.......lol....then i see like almost evey guy struggling with 2 plates.........
    lol...thats hilarious......I know I can do what I say.......and have plenty of witnesses........but the struggling with 2 plates is pretty funny

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    The good old days for me are right now! I just hit an all time weight high of 171. I've never been stronger or heavier.. and now that i'm starting to build up my legs again after the long break because of knee surgery, i'm hoping that i can throw on another 5-10 lbs or so in 6 weeks.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    It's all part of the war on drugs . . . dunno who's idea it was at first, but it's still a bad idea.
    I don't like having customs snag my stuff, risking hassle and/or jail time for doing this stuff voluntarily. It doesn't affect anyone else, so the gov't should IMHO stay out of my personal business.

Just like the gov't should de-criminalize grass (make it available to those over 21 in state-licensed shops, like liquor stores) the gov't should de-criminalize AS, make it available to those over 21 by licensed physicians.

Ain't nothin' more reasonable that this . . . and as I've said before (and will say again) I ain't voting for any politician who supports the current war on drugs (and hope y'all don't either). It ain't working, it encourages organized crime and terrorists to get in the business to finance their activities, and it senselessly sends otherwise good people to the clink. And it complicates things in our day-to-day lives. Encourages counterfeiters to use low quality ingredients or to mislabel drugs. Makes us wary of what we say to workout buddies and family.

Rant rant rant . . . .

Yah, this war on drugs sucks in such a sucking way it doesn't suck worth a ####. We'll be stuck with it, too, until voters (y'all are registered to vote, yes?) vote in politicans willing to improve things . . .

rant rant rant . . .

Man oh man, I've been in a ranting mood lately . . . well, this one's been for a good cause . . . our right to AS without politicians telling us we can't (who are those saggy-fatasses to tell us what we can and can't do with our own f###### physiques?) JHC . . .

Getting off my soap box now . . .
    --Tock

ColdSore is offline Banned
    bump for this...LuvmyRoids...i almost got teary eyed reading your 1st post...

didnt all of this **** go down in the Reagan era????

My dad has talked about this **** before, he said when he was in college that everyone was sporting 20 inch guns and a 220 pound body...i wish i was old now...

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I graduated High School in '90 (yeah I'm old) and AS was in my school (Football team) then. Coaches knew what was going on...never asked questions. A few of the guys just didn't know what the hell they were doing or when enough was enough.

I remember our running back was 5'9" tall and weighed 210...very low fat and ripped all over - huge ass legs and fast as ****. Nobody thought anything different about it. I remember some of the guys in high school maxing well over 350lbs on the bench regularly...and they were under 18. Doing it at that age will probably catch up with them one of these days...time will tell.

I guess it getting into the high schools is what brought it all on. It was easy to get while I was in high school from 1986-1990. I hadn't ever thought about it before but it makes sense now when I reflect on what all was going on.

I enjoyed the trip down memory lane though bro...sounds like great times.

peace,

ttgb

Thread Information