redrock is offline Member

Lightbulb Never pulled an all-nighter, might pop my cherry...

So I have 3 finals tomorrow, including 1 group presentation and a group project due. I have never stayed awake the whole night studying before.

What are your guys thoughts? Do all-nighters work? Will i just forget everything that I read? Is it possible for me to stay up 40 hours straight without being a zombie?

Any thoughts appreciated. Red

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Do all nighter's work for studying ?? I usually get tired and fall asleep anyways. Either you know it or you don't. You can only store so much in your short term memory.

You'll be tired as hell for the next few days though.

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    I pulled one last night. I took some liquid clen as I didn't have anything else to keep me up. I studied my ass off for finance. I actually retained the knowledge pretty well and did good on my test. Nothing like learning 3 chapters in a night. Missed everyday of class since the last test so I had to. I am pretty sleepy now.

LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    I do horrible on my term papers doing that. I did that for mid terms just a few weeks ago. I stayed up all night then went to the college library to finish studying more. Walked across campus to my building. I was so tired I made 3 simple mistakes circling wrong answers and misreading the question.

The question is. If I stay up until lets say 3am studying and then get back up at 8am. Will 5 hours be a decent amount or is that just going to make me more tired by mid-afternoon. RR

Mandinka is offline Junior Member
    It works , I useta stay away from any stimulants and then hit them hard when studying for final engineering exams , if ur gonna cram , u gotta sleep in short bursts...eventually u will pay but u should be good for two weeks.

WiLLpOwEr is offline Member
    I know I can't do that. If I get less than say 7 hours I feel too drowsy to do a **** thing, including taking a test.

TheChosen1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 50%Natural
    I pulled one last night. I took some liquid clen as I didn't have anything else to keep me up. I studied my ass off for finance.
    Well if that's your ass in your AV, I would hate to see you lose it just for a Finance exam. It's not worth it.

lloyd_cannon is offline Associate Member
    Personall experience says that I suck on exam's when not sleeping well In my concurrent college classes we usually have essay tests and if I don't sleep (5, 6, 7, hours)well then I get grades normally 10 points worse then I normally do. still not bad ones but bad enough

LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redrock
    The question is. If I stay up until lets say 3am studying and then get back up at 8am. Will 5 hours be a decent amount or is that just going to make me more tired by mid-afternoon. RR
    Yah that works for me red. A good power nap I call it to take the edge off my drowsiness. Man what we gotta go through to get that degree huh...lol

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyRoids
    Yah that works for me red. A good power nap I call it to take the edge off my drowsiness. Man what we gotta go through to get that degree huh...lol
    Good call, 3am here I come! RR

Bevo is offline Junior Member
    ****...last december during finals I stayed up from Wednesday until a test saturday morning at 9am w/only one power nap on thursday afternoon (the product of missing a semester of class)...had two finals on saturday, a 9am and 1pm...took quick nap after morning test, woke up and even had like 4 people call me (who said i talked to them) but fell back asleep...needless to say, i woke up an hour and half into my final...drove to campus and parked in the middle of an intersection near the building...got a ticket, but finished the exam...

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    I pulled an all-nighter for one of my finals last week, but it was at 8:00 A.M. and my only final of the day. I wouldn't do it if I had three finals. I'd try to get as much sleep as possible.

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    all nighters are good for the soul. you dont know how painful life can be until youve been awake for 40+ hours without stimulants. i used to stay up and study all the time, nothing like cramming weeks of information into hours of studying.

Quote Originally Posted by sin
    all nighters are good for the soul. you dont know how painful life can be until youve been awake for 40+ hours without stimulants. i used to stay up and study all the time, nothing like cramming weeks of information into hours of studying.
    Nice, I just got a 4 pack of Red Bull. We'll see how that treats me. RR

Swellin Guest
    The easy answer is get the hell off the computer! Stop procrastinating! I know it when I see it...I am the god of procrastination. I only showed up for class to get a syllabus and to take tests. My grades suffered for it, but I hated class. I was diagnosed with ADHD after I got my Bachelors...which is a medical rarity.

This post should be proof of the ADHD...from point "a" to pint "r" to point...

I use to start the night before. I would scan and highlight the chapters and any notes I conned from anyone. I then typed them into Word, based on the most important parts. I printed it, then highlited the Cliff's/Swellin's notes that I just printed, based on priority. After learning how tests are structured, you can do this and nail enough info for a "B" with little problem...the "A" required a little class time. Even if I wasn't through with this, I would always fall asleep around 4, and sleep til 5:30 or 6. I had enough to get back going and complete the day. Of course, this all changed in grad school. I went to class...I din't take notes or pay much attention, but I went to class anyway.

For the record...BBA Finance & MBA.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redrock
    Nice, I just got a 4 pack of Red Bull. We'll see how that treats me. RR
    thats the way to go bro. i used to drink coffee but that gave me the shake and made my brain numb. Redbull keeps you up without making your head numb....Plus it gives you wings

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    I used to pull them all the time in college. My roommate and I would each grab a couch, a 12 pack of diet coke and crank the stereo. Averaged a 3.2, couldnt' have been too bad.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Red bull did nothing for me, but coffe gave me that zip with every lil sip.

I just had finals last week, so i know what you're going through and i slept very little. Allnighters work well for finals week but you lose that attention to detail.

Mon-thurs of finals week i slept very little and did alright, but then friday came. I had one test left. Our prof gave us the option of taking the test on monday at 7:30pm or at 12:45-2:45 on friday, i already had 2 exams in a row on monday so i took the friday one. Well anyways friday comes, i'm tired as hell, and I'm studying away. I'm in the middle of this tough problem so i sit back to take a breather and its 2:15 pm, and i'm like this is cool still got 5 hrs to study. Then i look at my exam schedule on the wall and realize i confused the times in my head. So i got there at like 2:30 and was like "I need an exam" and the TA's facial expression was pretty funny cuz i knew he was thinking this kid is so f ucked. So i'm sitting there blindly filling in answers(it wasn't scantron, ****in org chem with having to draw mechanisms and ****) and the prof came over and told me i could finish it while they grade everyone's tests. So i got pretty lucky, but i really coulda used those extra few hours of studying. I actually vowed to myself that I would go back through every single HW problem in the whole course over xmas break because i was so pissed that i ****ed up so much. Haven't started but I still want to do it.

So I'd say if its less then 2-3 days you'll be alright. Once you start going 4-5 days you're gonna run into big time trouble.

Anyways good luck bro.

Still going strong. I think i'm gonna fade out in 45 minutes and then get back up in a few hours. Peace, RR

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    Last night I crashed at 5:30 and woke up at 10 this morning. All you need is about 4 hours and you'll be cool. Good luck on the final tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 50%Natural
    Last night I crashed at 5:30 and woke up at 10 this morning. All you need is about 4 hours and you'll be cool. Good luck on the final tomorrow.
    Thanks bro, actually I have 3 finals, but screw it, who's counting anyways. RR

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Didnt need to always got by with 1-2 hrs per test.

Thread Information