samoth is offline Member

steroids and shin splints?

This may be a strange question, but has anyone else had problems with shin splints while on cycle? I played many sports throughout grade and high school, and never had a problem till i started cycling (specifically dbol and primo). Anyone care to comment?

Veggie is offline New Member
    I'm a surfer so I really don't know exactly what a shin splint is but after my first cycle when I would play raquetball for cardio, my shin would have an intense sting to it when I was finished, I'm assuming that this is what your talking about. It sucks but went away in a few weeks, about 8 weeks after an 8 week cycle, different from yours. My wrists and elbows also had the same pain. No help, I know but I feel your PAIN.

samoth is offline Member
    Thanks bro... I thought it kinda stupid asking, but i was hoping someone on this board could relate to this problem and offer a possible solution.

juiceon is offline Associate Member
    You betcha! I get the same thing. Just today was the first time I got it this cycle (I've gotten it on previous cycles also). It happens to me on the treadmill. I sometimes do 30 min. on the treadmill after a workout. I always walk fast, don't run. But when I go on the juice (test, dbol ), I have to stop after about the first 8 minutes because I can't pick my feet up anymore. It's like my shins get too pumped. So I stop and turn it down a notch.

However, I don't get the same thing on the stair stepper, so I stick to that after a while and add the treadmill back when I go off.

Mike Guest
    holy crap...you know to be honest I was having the WORST shin splints a couple months ago and I never get them - couldnt tell why it was happening - I couldnt even walk for too long of a distance or they would just kill me - but it WAS in a cycle - just never put the two together...interesting...

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Shint splints are painful M/F I have never done a cycle but I get intense pains at the front and sides of my shins.If I walk at a fast pace or a long distance then bang the pain is there.

I read up on it and found out how I got them they do heal but mine were x-rayed and my shins are full of multiple hairline fractures that don,t heal.I,ve come to live with it now and when it hurts I grit my teeth and carry on.

Obviously you now what causes it and I,m not sure if AAS causes it but it is uaslly running on hard surfaces that have no flex in so you shins take the impact.Using treadmills are a good cause of them as well.

Air cushioned trainers stop all that ......nope when i got mine checked I was told this is the biggest con there is running in sand is the best way to run it offers more absorption as does grass

Billy

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Yep, its gotta be cycle related cos I've got the same problem with my forearms.........its a pain cos it can effect alot of exercises.

BA

Why do you guys think it AAS? Shin splints are caused by fracturing the bone over and over during a certain peroid of time.From what I am reading you guys are saying that the AAS are making your bones brittle and shin splints only occur through fracturing.

Are you sure that the pains you are feeling are not swollen tendons possibly caused by the AAS and the amounts of weight you lift?I have tennis elbow and I would put that in the same league of pain and that is caused from hyper extending the ligaments and muscles (Thanks to Ju Jitsu for that)

I,m interested in your views and before you ask yes I,m a walking painful reject

Billy

You've got a point.

The way I see it Weight training is very repetitive and you put strain on the joint, liagments, bones, tendons etc. I think we maybe confusing shins-plins with tendonitis which is more than likely what I'm suffering from.

BA

I can,t help but think you guys are suffering from tendon strains rather than shin splints .....interesting though

Billy

pureanger is offline Senior Member
    I would have to agree with Billy on this one though all you big guys trying to do cardio body cant take that much abuse

I keep in hearing the word Cardio.

What are you talking about, Is it something to use with Clen and T3?

BA

choice is offline Junior Member
    I have the stinging pain in my forearms as well. It's not really when I grab something, but more when I let go. Doing bicep barbell curls really aggravates it, I have very strong bis (curl 160 for 8) but have wrists like a girl, so I don't think my forearms can take that strain. Sometimes it gets really bad, and I have to take some time off from anything with a barbell. A doctor goes to the gym I train at, and he says they are stress fractures,equivalent to shin splints. He knows quite a bit about AS, I will ask him if he sees any logical relation between the two.

Absolutely, it hurts when you say rack the D.b's or release the bar! Its F88King painful, could really do with out that.

I've stopped doing incline D.b curls and now use and e-z bar for curls, I use wrist straps, but I'm giving them a break as they may aggravate the problem rather than helping. I was thinking it maybe an imbalance between the strenght of my biceps and my foreams.

BA

choice is offline Junior Member
    weird, as long as I am holding dumbbells it never hurts, except right when i let go and put them on the rack. Dude, stay away from those wrist wraps, unless you plan on working your wrists by shrugging real heavy on a barbell without straps!

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Could it be corporal tunnel, if your forearms hurt? When you do barbell curls, your wrists are put into a very stressful position squeezing the nerve that runs up and down your arm. Could that be a possiblity. I have only had shin spilts when I run on hard ass pavement. Course I run in the sand almost every freakin day, so I never have a problem with Shin splits, course, I don't work my calves that much either, cause I am always jumping in the sand. I think I just answered my own freakin question. Okay so someone shoot me.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Pains

Hey Choice,
    I would be careful if I were you. I had a similiar problem several years ago. I had gotten in the habit of pushing curls to the max, even to the point of forcing out reps with the aid of my partner "bumping" the curl bar at the top of the rep. I began to feel stinging pains in my forearms and wrist but worked through the pain anyway. Like you I have small wrist but have strong biceps. Anyway I wound up ripping the muscle in my forearm and was completely cut of from the gym for several weeks while taking antibotics and pain pills with a wrapped up arm. I don't know how intense your arm routine is but be careful. If there is a pain, ease up, most likely there is a problem that might heal itself with little or no time away from the gym. Good Luck,

Tobey
    Now about shin splints. Hummm, never had them but Billy did mention somthing that caught my attention. I jog approx. 3.5 miles a day on hard asphalt, and have been doing so for several years now. Reckon I need to look for another place to jog I guess. I'll have to look into that.
    Last edited by Tobey; 09-07-2001 at 09:59 PM.

Sorry to do this guys but I really do not believe that you are suffering from shin splints in your forearms

I may be teaching you guys how to suck eggs if so sorry....

Shin splints are fractures from constant pounding eg running on concrete your forearms are not subjected to this same condition shin splints can only occurr in the shins as does say tennis elbow in the elbow you would,nt get that in your big toe!!

I think it is more like tendon or deep muscle strain and if it hurts whilst gripping a bar it is muscle strain

Billy

Nope, ripped muscle here

Nope ripped muscle here. At least thats what the doctor told me when I went to see him. Could'nt lift for about 4 or 5 weeks if memory serves me right,had to wear a brace and take a antibotic (I think)

Tobey

big_guy is offline Associate Member
    hey billy boy. You have it backwards with your shin splints(no flame intended). Shin Splints are not caused by fractures, but shin splints can cause fractures. I hope my knowledge will help u guys out.

Shin Splints can occur in one of two muscles. The Soleus or the Tibialis anterior. The Soleus is found on the inside of your tibia (shin bone) and below your gastrocnemius (calf muscle). It runs from the calf to the ankle. The Tibialis anterior is found on the top/outside of the tibia. It runs from the ankle to the knee.

What exactly is a shin splint?

A shin splint is the seperation of a muscle to the bone (Either the Soleus or the Tibialis anterior).

Funtions of the two muscles.
    Soleus - helps stabilize the legs on impact of the ground when running,jogging,ect.
    Tibialis anterior - like the soleus it absorbs shock on impact of the ground, and it is used to raise the foot towards the shin.

How the Shin Splints occur.

Shin Splints occur from the constant impact of feet hitting the ground while running. And from the overworking of the Gastrocnemius (calf muscle), withouth strengthening the other lower leg muscle (specifically the soleus and tibialis anterior). The calf basically become to stong for the other muscles, and in turn, the other muscles can not support the action of the calf muscle. The strengthening of the calves can also cause them and the achilles' tendon to become "tight" and "shortend". Over time this will cause the Soleus or TA to become elongated. The elongation of these muscles will cause them to actually seperate from the tibia to which they are connected.

What happens if u don't cure the shin splints?

Basically, the longer that the Soleus or TA are elongated the weaker the muscles become and the worse the shin splints are. If the muscles stay seperated from the bone to long, then they are not properly absorbing the shock from walking running ect. and all of the pressure is then obsorbed by the tibia, which will eventually cause stress fractures, or hairline fractures.

How to get rid of Shin Splints

This envolves alot of stretching, icing, rest, and strengthening exercises.
    First off, discontinue any running. Second, u must stretch the achilles' and calf muscles thoroughly. Do this by using a towl to to pull the top of the foot towards the shin. Also u must strengthen the soleus and TA. Do this by using an elastic band. Put the bad around top of foot, and straighten the foot, Also do the opposite, with a partner holding the band. And finally, ice the effected area 3-4 times daily. It should take 1-2 weeks to rid yourself of the shin splints.

The best way to keep shin splints from coming back is to STRETCH THOROUGHLY BEFORE AND AFTER EXERCISE!!

Shin splints are no laughing matter, as they can actually cause fractures in your tibia. So rest properly, and get rid of them before doing cardio training.... I hope that you all now realize, it's not the juice causing your Shin Splints.

Hope this helps all you guys out. Peace.

The original jason Guest
    well you guys got a point here cos i get all the same stuff when i was on a cycle i started to get pain which was the same as shin splints sure felt like that to me, never ever considered it was the juice but guess now you all said it must be related now does anyone have the answer???

jason

I don't know if it's shin splints or just pumped shins and/or if there is a difference. One thing I tried that worked for a while was glutamine. I was taking creatine along with the cycle and had the problem on the treadmill. Then I read about glutamine reducing lactic acid buildup, so I tried it. The treadmill problem subsided for a while, so I figured the glutamine was working. Eventually, however, it came back . . . not as bad, but still to the point where I didn't bother doing the treadmill during the cycle. I don't know what would happen if you just jacked the glutamine dosage up, but those who have this problem (during cycles) and don't take glutamine yet should try it and see if it helps. I would be interested to know if it does.

hey jason. i gave the answers in my last post.

either you are doin too much running (most likely this isn't it) or your calf muscles are too strong for your Soleus and Tibialis anterior. i also explained how to get rid of the Shin Splints. The answers are all there.

BTW, i have suffered many times from shin splints, untill i started doin strengthening exercises for my lower leg muscles other than the calves.

Nathan is offline Retired Moderator
    I'll tell you guys what I'll betcha it is. Intense shin and forearm pumps. They can hurt like a bitch but that's probably the culprit. It is especially common with d-bol. I'm telling ya.

Good Post Big Guy,

Good post Big Guy,
    I useually stretch before I do my jog, However, it is important for people to know how to streach. While preforming any type stretch go into the streach slowly. Never bounce as this can cause pull ligements, ect. Hold each streach for a miniunm of 15 secs. It is helpful for me to completely exhale as I am going down into the stretch. Anyway, good post, I never thought about what true shin splints were, and although I have never had a problem with them, I have a better knowledge of what they are from reading your post.
    Tobey

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    yes, strecthing, does help alot with the prevention. I used to get Shin Splits at the drop of a hat, when we used to train in the Martial arts. We were always running and jumping. But when we would actually target and stretch the calves, we would find that the shin splits wouldn't be so bad, (we trained really hard). Also Epson salt in a hot bath, works wonders. Has anyone tried that?

Originally posted by Nathan
    I'll tell you guys what I'll betcha it is. Intense shin and forearm pumps. They can hurt like a bitch but that's probably the culprit. It is especially common with d-bol. I'm telling ya.
    I'll second that. Intense pumps with small muslces, located at the outer regions of our circulatory system. The "waste" is not getting out fast enough.

Nathan is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by juiceon

I'll second that. Intense pumps with small muslces, located at the outer regions of our circulatory system. The "waste" is not getting out fast enough.
    Word brother. I'm surprised more peeps haven't tapped in to it yet. You gotta ask why it's ALWAYS on cycle. If it were shin splints truly, then why doesn't the pain persist past the point of the cycle ending ever? Should happen at least once or twice that the body isn't able to heal itself before the cycle ends.

KingOfPop is offline New Member
    Have you guys ever thought that your cycle is pumping up your calf muscle far greater than it usually is...that's probably causing the shin splints. The sudden swell could be causing major strain on the two shin muscles which haven't grown enough to support the leg. It seems fairly possible. Did someone already say this? I got tired of reading some of the posts...if so, I'm sorry.

Hey Big Guy no disrespect but I totally disagree with you for the following reasons

I have shin splints have had them explained to me by medical staff and seen the x-rays

I also have a football coach who works with me who is a guru of sporting injuries (he has had every conceivable one I think!!) and he agrees with what I said

It is an interesting post and I read it with great interest.Shin splints are splintering of the bone in tiny particles that are only microns in size.

Like I said no flame and I respect your opinions

Billy

hey billy boy. i don't take almost anything as flames don't worry.. We both of us obvioulsy are hearing different medical opinions. My knowledge on shin splints came from the Athletic trainers at McNeese State University, back when i had shin splints. and i also did some other research on them.

... but here is what puzzles me. u said shin splints are the splintering of the bone. the bone (tibia) cannot splinter without a reason, and the reason for it splintering, is that it is absorbing forces which would usually be absorbed by either the Soleus or Tibialis Anterior. And the muscles would not be absorbing these forces because they for one reason or another have been seperated from the bone.

peace

ravaz is offline Associate Member
    I have never in my life had pain in my shins. I have started a cycle 3 weeks ago. I have played ice and roller hockey my whole life, and play 3-4 times a week now. I have to say it is the juice, because after 5 minutes of skating, I feel so much pain down there, pain that I have never felt before. I thought to myself maybe I'm just tired, but my legs are fine and the only thing that is bothering me are my shins, and it's been going on for the past 3 weeks. I take my dogs for a walk every other night and after 5 minutes I get the same thing, it has to be the juice, no question about it.

-ravaz

timvds is offline Member
    i read an article recently on AS effects on tendons. after visiting my doctor last week for strange lumps on both my wrists the doc told me i had a couple of GANGLIONS, ruptures in the tendons. AS apparently had something to do with them, coupled with heavy lifts. im not a doctor but i dont think its schin splints youre getting, aggrevated tendons is more like it

BDD
    BDD is offline Banned

choice- same thing happens to me

hay bro same crap happens to me as soon as i let go of the weight i get a cramp of some sort on the forearms what i do is let the weights down slowly..... and it either gets milder or does not happen at all

AS can have an effect on tendons from what I have read they appear to "harden" them making them more inflexable hence the tears and cramping whilst on a cycle coupled with the extra weight you lift from your strength gains.

Now this would explain why the pain stops after a cycle.

As for shin splints I,m not going to mention them at all ever again

Billy

timvds is offline Member
    at my recent doctor visit, got some blodd taken to test my kidney values, i asked my doc why my tendons were sore, he did tell me that my ganglions, ruptures in my tendons. were caused by my AS use. AS he said causes the lining of the tendons to become softer, whilst the fluid in the lining builds up in a rupture caused by the heavy lifting. only way to get rif of em is to tie off the rupture requiring surgery of course.

jssmc is offline Associate Member
    I have had problems with my shins and my wrists while on my cycle also. I have never had this problem before. It sucks ass.
    jssmc

samoth is offline Member
    Wow... Im impressed by the response to this thread... and to think when I first posted it, i thought it was something that was only happening to me, that no one could relate to! Thanks for the info guys... =)

lethal is offline Junior Member
    Good Post !
    Lethal

Thread Information