goldenFloyd is offline Member

Question benching competition... halo?

hey guys... got a school benching competition coming up the end of april, I will be 5 weeks into an EQ/var cycle... wondering what you all would recommend to get crazy pumped up the day of the competition. I've heard halo is excellent in these situations, advice?

I'll be cutting, so I will probably get into a lighter weight class, but hopefully I'll enjoy the strength gains of the EQ/var... I'm hoping to get to a 340 max or so at 190-195 pounds... nothing special by "online standards" hehe, but probably enough to place high in the university competition. I'm at 275 x a shakey 3 right now and would like to make a bit of splash at the comp. any advice much appreciated!

4plates is offline Banned
    hell yeah bro ,start it a wk or 2 before the comp,how long is your cycle?
    maybe run it for the rest of the cycle @30 mg ed
    it will harden you up as well as give you extra streanth and aggressivness to get that xtra 65lbs up

Mr. Fina is offline Associate Member
    test suspnsion the day of the comp

Mike is offline Retired SuperMod
    lol oh boy.....yeah it will help but in all honesty I never thought that was really cool. To use something with a short half life just to win a contest when the next guy who on any other day may bench you under the table - leaves the competition beaten.

cpitt398 is offline Junior Member
    How big is the university thay you attend. No flame intended, but the bench press competition at the local gym here (town of 25,000 at the most) puts out much higher numbers, for instance:
    one guy I know weighed 184 and benched 405 (21 years old)
    another guy I know benched 475 at 204 lbs and then benched 225 for 29 reps shortly after. (a little older but still in school)
    The overall winner benched 535 (older and not in school). I'm not sure what he weighed but probaly around 225-230.
    Good luck though but beware there is always people that you don't know about that are strong as hell that come out of the woodworks and live for these types of competitions.

Tankass is offline Senior Member
    I never understood these. I mean i know people like to be strong...but a bench contest... Why does this remind me of those guys always doing curls. These guys with huge arms and nothing else to them. In highschool I benched 315 and weighed 230. I was a fullback/Defensive end. The papers covered this one kid from another town saying he was soo good and all these schools were looking at him. Be boasted a 450lb bench. Come game day I bitched his ass. I mean seriously i tossed this kid around like rag doll. He was a good 250-260. I mean now i bench what i bench. I am not so concerned what others think its just for me and my piece of mind.

-g

Mugs is offline Anabolic Member
    LMAFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 I agree!

poppapump58 is offline Member
    Test Suspension! I have gone up on my bench press 10lbs before with just one shot of 100mg test suspension.

TOM2502002 is offline Junior Member
    be careful,, but something like d-bol or halotesten might come in handy.

goldenFloyd is offline Member
    the university has 16,000 nerds - hint, it's "in a league of its own" (i don't want to straight out broadcast the school). i think the winner with the heaviest bench was 375 or so since not everyone enters it or even takes it seriously who should. as far as the point of a bench press competition, it is to see how much weight you can move in a strict movement; an independent measurement from athletic performance on the field or in the real world. There is a point to the competition in my mind - for recreational lifters like me, who lift for the sake of lifting and for my own reasons, a bench competition is a place to see how you stack up to your peers - to some, a significant measure of respect and self-worth. anyway, the boys who can bench 500+ (i think 2 guys on the football team, which is terrible) usually don't enter or are in the 250-unlimited weight class. There is a weight class and age class. I've never entered one of these before, but I've been to them and thought they were interesting, hehe.

anyway, thanks for the advice guys!

gettinthere is offline Associate Member
    Gsims,
    There is definitely a huge difference between weightroom strength and field strength. I have a few friends that play football at the college I go to, and one of them is the strongest guy on the team, 34" thighs or something like that. My friend can still block him all day long though!

OT8268 is offline Associate Member
    I get what Gsims says also and I love the comment about the guys who curl all day, I hate that, I used to be guilty of that but in the reverse, the only thing I used to do was squat because I hated all the pussies who all they did was curls and I felt it wasnt necessary. So now I am small biceps but my triceps make up for it. But Legs are so much more of an important muscle in sports, and Isee it get looked over all the tiem, more of when I was in High School than College, but lots of kids refuse to dead lift and squat because it hurts their back, but its their form that is hurting their back, not the lift.

tackle78 is offline Junior Member
    When I was going into my junior year of high school we had a guy who was in all the papers, d-1 scouts every where. He was huge, 6-6 300. He benched something like 400 lbs, which at the time for a high schooler was practically unheard of. Well I was pretty good myself, but alot smaller and didn't have the wieght room numbers. I was 6-3 235 at the time. The first day of contact the coach matched us up together and I was shitting a brick. This guy would turn over our 7 man sled by himself. I was totally afraid of him. I got to practice like an hour early an got all psyched up for it. I got on the field and the first thing we did was one on one pass rush. I was blocking him. They blow the whistle and I dorve him into the ground. I couldn't believe it. THe whole season I kicked his ass. I only benched about 225 and squated like 350 lbs. It was pathetic. I worked hard in the wieght room but dident have the tenacity I did on the field. But I have never judged someones talent by their numbers since. After all Kyle Turly is one of the best lineman in the NFL, benchs 250 lbs. I saw him struggle to do it to.

OT8268 is offline Associate Member
    Yeah turley is pretty quick he runs a 4.9, ;but I am also fairly sure he benches more than 250,

Dr.Evil is offline Retired Moderator
    cheque drops . these are similar to methyl test. they have a slight edge over halo, but are more toxic.

tackle78 is offline Junior Member
    Turley was at a combine in January of his senior year. Although, he did 225 about 20 times so that translates into a little greater strength and he did his 1 rep max after this. Still his weight room strength doesn't show how strong he really is.

Thread Information