HeavyHitter is offline Anabolic Member

Marijuana and Estrogen levels....

I know that weed or any other type of smoking/drugs is bad for you and possibly inhibits AS use. My question is more specific: Does MaryJ increase estrogen levels in the body?

I did some searches and didnt really see anything.... Some huge body builder at my gym told me and he seemed to know what he was talkin about.... hence I come to my good ol AS FORUM for verification....

thanks boys!!

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    i read something in mens health magazine about some one asking this and the result was that it effects the nitrogen balance in ur muscles therfore inhibiting growth, i will hook out the magazine and reply again but thats all i can remember, the only thing positive is the hunger cravings!

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyHitter
    I know that weed or any other type of smoking/drugs is bad for you and possibly inhibits AS use. My question is more specific: Does MaryJ increase estrogen levels in the body?

I did some searches and didnt really see anything.... Some huge body builder at my gym told me and he seemed to know what he was talkin about.... hence I come to my good ol AS FORUM for verification....

thanks boys!!
    I believe HOPS is well known to convert testosterone to estrogen as it tends to stimulate aromatase emzymes, also SOY products will do this as well. The thing is, Marijuana is closely related to HOPS, however no one has shown marijuana to stimulate aromatase. Marijuana is proven to decrease your natural testosterone production but that is it. However HOPS as in BEER has been shown to increase conversion of testosterone to estrogen, it also encourages conversion of progestin and prolactin from other steroids like EQ and Deca .

i found this on a health website:

"Both marijuana and cigarettes are associated with breaks in the DNA of sperm. The more you smoke, whether it is marijuana or tobacco, the more DNA breaks occur. The effect does not seem to be greater with marijuana. However, marijuana is metabolized in the liver, and unlike tobacco, it can affect the liver over the long term in such a way as to increase estrogen levels. Higher estrogen levels in males can increase the risk of abnormal sperm counts or motility. If your semen analysis is normal, this is not likely an issue"

http://www.ivillagehealth.com/expert...=adid=11499886

Quote Originally Posted by bigswiftos

"Both marijuana and cigarettes are associated with breaks in the DNA of sperm. The more you smoke, whether it is marijuana or tobacco, the more DNA breaks occur. The effect does not seem to be greater with marijuana. However, marijuana is metabolized in the liver, and unlike tobacco, it can affect the liver over the long term in such a way as to increase estrogen levels. Higher estrogen levels in males can increase the risk of abnormal sperm counts or motility. If your semen analysis is normal, this is not likely an issue"

http://www.ivillagehealth.com/expert...=adid=11499886
    bro, thanks alot! But does this mean i have to go to a sperm doctor and shoot my load in a cup??? I always wanted to do that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ntpadude
    I believe HOPS is well known to convert testosterone to estrogen as it tends to stimulate aromatase emzymes, also SOY products will do this as well. The thing is, Marijuana is closely related to HOPS, however no one has shown marijuana to stimulate aromatase. Marijuana is proven to decrease your natural testosterone production but that is it. However HOPS as in BEER has been shown to increase conversion of testosterone to estrogen, it also encourages conversion of progestin and prolactin from other steroids like EQ and Deca.
    What is HOPS????

Pork Chop is offline Member
    my girls boob job doctor said gyno can be brought on by excessive pot smoking.. and does offer services for gyno from this.

massive amounts of boose will do it also.. i'm talking 20-30 years of hard drinking.

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    What is HOPS????
    It's a plant that is used in brewing beer to neutralize the sweetness with its bitter flavor. It also contributes to the aroma of the beer.

Matto20 is offline Member
    You guys have been reading too much D.A.R.E. propaganda...

Here is some info that can be easily found off of www.erowid.org - I don't claim it as my own, but thought it might be of interest, as it is credible information backed up with science.

The myth that marijuana damages the reproductive system:
    This claim is based chiefly on the work of Dr. Gabriel Nahas,
    who experimented with tissue (cells) isolated in petri dishes, and
    the work of researchers who dosed animals with near-lethal amounts
    of cannabinoids (i.e., the intoxicating part of marijuana). Nahas'
    generalizations from his petri dishes to human beings have been
    rejected by the scientific community as being invalid. In the case
    of the animal experiments, the animals that survived their ordeal
    returned to normal within 30 days of the end of the experiment.
    Studies of actual human populations have failed to demonstrate that
    marijuana adversely affects the reproductive system.

A new study by Dr. Robert Block at the University of
    Iowa disputes the commonly held notion that marijuana alters
    the level of testosterone and other sex hormones.
    The study contradicted a widely publicized 1974 study
    by Dr. R.C. Kolodony, which reported decreased testosterone
    levels in men who smoked marijuana chronically.
    The U. of Iowa study found that chronic marijuana use
    had no effect on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle
    stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men or women.
    Noting that six other studies had failed to show
    lowered testosterone levels in men, Dr. Block concluded: "It
    appears that marijuana, even heavy use of the kind that's
    typical in the United States, doesn't alter testosterone levels."
    However, he cautioned that heavy use might have other
    adverse effects, including "possible effects on reproductive
    function and mild, selective cognitive impairments associated
    with heavy, chronic use."
    Block's study is published in Drug and Alcohol
    Dependence, Vol. 28: 121-8 (1991).

I can probably find several more studies if you'd like. Smoking nugz is not going to give you titties...

spooledup is offline Banned
    I drank beer and smoked pot the entire time I was on my last cycle. I gained 17lbs AND dropped a waist size.

I think the majority of the info on this thread is BS.

its not BS, its the science side of it not peoples personal experiences such as ur own

KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spooledup
    I drank beer and smoked pot the entire time I was on my last cycle. I gained 17lbs AND dropped a waist size.

I think the majority of the info on this thread is BS.
    Thats great, but we are looking to gain muscle here, not fat from beer.

Quote Originally Posted by aXe
    Thats great, but we are looking to gain muscle here, not fat from beer.
    Read i.e gained 17lbs AND dropped a waist size...

Beer doesn't have any fat in it. It does have an abundance of chromium which is essential for transport of BCAA's via insulin . Beer also has very low GI. Beer also contains many vitamins such as B6.

I'm@ 11% BF btw.
    Last edited by spooledup; 10-28-2004 at 07:44 PM.

"I drank beer and smoked pot the entire time I was on my last cycle"

u might have gained 20lbs if u hadent of drank beer the "entire" time and smoked "pot"

"I drank beer and smoked pot the entire time I was on my last cycle"

u might have gained 20lbs if u hadent of drank beer the "entire" time and smoked "pot"

Ha! I swear bro that sounds like something my mother would say. I went to engineering college and graduated EE but my mom would say "Just think if you didn't smoke that crap, you'd have been a doctor!"

Btw, **** the 3 lbs. I'll take the bong hit

longhornDr is offline Member
    Weed increases estrogen levels and can cause gynecomastia .

It's a classic board question on medical licensing exams.

Pick up any medicine textbook and it's near the top of the differential dx list for gynecomastia.

blkplys is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spooledup
    Read i.e gained 17lbs AND dropped a waist size...

Beer doesn't have any fat in it. It does have an abundance of chromium which is essential for transport of BCAA's via insulin . Beer also has very low GI. Beer also contains many vitamins such as B6.

I'm@ 11% BF btw.
    Why dont you post a picture of you. I would love to see how you drank beer and smoked pot the hole time and you gained a clean 17 pounds and you are 11% body fat.

magicstick2003 is offline Anabolic Member

The effect does not seem to be greater with marijuana. However, marijuana is metabolized in the liver, and unlike tobacco, it can affect the liver over the long term in such a way as to increase estrogen levels. Higher estrogen levels in males can increase the risk of abnormal sperm counts or motility.
    This is some good info, it sounds like to me if you're on any orals then steer clear of pot and booze... due to the strain already put on the liver...good info

so basically my beliefs are going to sway towards this---- Marijuana doesnt effect your test levels but can increase your estrogen levels.... agree??

alexvega is offline New Member
    weell idonīt care i smoke weed and nothing diferent on me, of course, i smoke little bit. jajjaj

so basically my beliefs are going to sway towards this---- Marijuana doesnt effect your test levels but can increase your estrogen levels.... agree??
    I disagree. I'll find some studies pertaining to estrogen soon, but here are some more regarding marijuana's effects on other hormones...

Authors
    Friedrich G, Nepita W, Andre T
    Title
    [Serum testosterone concentrations in cannabis and opiate users].
    Language
    German
    Source
    Beitrage zur Gerichtlichen Medizin
    Date
    Issue
    Pages
    57-66
    Abstract
    The object of this study was to establish possible influences of long-term cannabis usage on plasma testosterone levels . The plasma testosterone levels of 66 male Pakistani who for years had smoked cannabis daily or drank cannabis regularly where measured after chronic and acute intake of the drug and compared with a material of 41 normal controls, i.e. persons who did not use cannabis. An evaluation of the results showed that there were no significant differences between the two groups. No influence of long-term cannabis usage on plasma testosterone levels was found. Furthermore we wished to find out wether long-term heroin abuse showed an effect on plasma testosterone levels. The concentrations of testosterone in the plasma of 102 heroin addicts assigned to a Methadone Program were measured and compared with the values of 29 male healthy students as controls. Plasma testosterone levels were found to be significantly decreased in heroin addicts as compared to controls.

Authors
    Block RI, Farinpour R, Schlechte JA
    Title
    Effects of chronic marijuana use on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men and women.
    Source
    Drug & Alcohol Dependence
    Date
    1991 Aug
    Issue
    28(2)
    Pages
    121-8
    Abstract
    To investigate possible effects of chronic marijuana use on reproductive and stress hormones, we assayed testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin, and cortisol in 93 men and 56 women with a mean (+/- S.E.) age of 23.5 +/- 0.4 years. Hormone values were compared among groups of subjects stratified according to frequency of marijuana use (frequent, moderate and infrequent; N = 27, 18, and 30, respectively) and non-using controls (N = 74). Chronic marijuana use showed no significant effect on hormone concentrations in either men or women.

Id Code
    Authors
    Cushman P Jr
    Title
    Plasma testosterone levels in healthy male marijuana smokers.
    Source
    American Journal of Drug & Alcohol Abuse
    Date
    Issue
    2(2)
    Pages
    269-75
    Abstract
    Plasma testosterone, FSH, and LH levels were obtained from 25 healthy consecutive heterosexual male mauijuana smoking university students. All values were within the range of normal and the means did not differ significantly from those of 13 normal controls. These data suggest that the casual marijuana smoker (at least one time weekly with an average of 5.1 joints per week) may have plasma testosterone levels which are normal for the time of day and the laboratory.

Here's a source regarding estrogen, FYI...

Authors
    Sauer MA, Rifka SM, Hawks RL, Cutler GB Jr, Loriaux DL
    Title
    Marijuana: interaction with the estrogen receptor.
    Source
    Journal of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics
    Date
    1983 Feb
    Issue
    224(2)
    Pages
    404-7
    Abstract
    Crude marijuana extract competed with estradiol for binding to the estrogen receptor of rat uterine cytosol. Condensed marijuana smoke also competed with estradiol for its receptor. Pure delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol, however, did not interact with the estrogen receptor. Ten delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol metabolites also failed to compete with estradiol for its receptor. Of several other common cannabinoids tested, only cannabidiol showed any estrogen receptor binding. This was evident only at very high concentrations of cannabidiol. Apigenin, the aglycone of a flavinoid phytoestrogen found in cannabis, displayed high affinity for the estrogen receptor. To assess the biological significance of these receptor data, estrogen activity was measured in vivo with the uterine growth bioassay, using immature rats. Cannabis extract in large doses exhibited neither estrogenic nor antiestrogenic effects. Thus, although estrogen receptor binding activity was observed in crude marijuana extract, marijuana smoke condensate and several known components of cannabis, direct estrogenic activity of cannabis extract could not be demonstrated in vivo.

Thread Information