jmiro is offline Associate Member

Blood Glucose levels questions for vets, drs, and mods.

I bought a blood glucose meter to tell me where my levels are to see if Im in ketosis or not. (the pee sticks dont tell me shit) I can never really get below 80. Even on an empty stomach fasting in the monring and ketosis diet three days before, after a 2 hour run my levels are still around 90.
    Today something weird also happened. I woke up at a good level at 81, ate a 2grams of carb bar, 2 NYC and took 1gm of ALA went to a spinnning class and came back to measure myself. I was at 129! what the hell is going on, my body should consume glucose not fucking produce it. please help, because this frustrating. SOmething is working because my body has never looked this good, but I cant get my blood glucose to fall.

Dr.Evil is offline Retired Moderator
    you don't want your blood glucose to change that much. when you're in ketosis you want to be measuring ketones, byproducts of fat metabolism.

but desnt a low glucose level come with that, because glucose will be the first available fuel to burn. lower the glucose the higher amount of ketones produced. I pretty much consider myself an expert in the field but Im really intriqued by what happens to me and my glucose especially after I work out. anybody have any insights?

no. glucose gets replenished very quickly in the blood. unless you're hypoglycemic, you won't have abnormally low levels of glucose. besides, those glucose stix are mainly to check if your BC level is too high, indicating diabetes.

btw, the definition of ketosis is excessive ketone bodies in the blood and urine. you should be checking for ketones.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Ummmmm . . . Why?

Originally posted by jmiro
    anybody have any insights?
    Only because you insist.

Nothing personal, jmiro, but it sounds like you're not seeking ketosis, you're seeking hypoglycemia. Because that is what's bound to happen if you do manage to sink much lower than the 81 you achieved the other day. As any diabetic can tell you, you definitely do not want to go there.

To me, it sound like you have fairly normal glucose readings. Why screw around with them?

And Dr. Evil is quite correct. Your meter will not tell you if you are in ketosis, only a measurement of your ketones will do that (and, as you appear to be aware, that's what Ketodiastix are for). All your meter will do is measure your glucose.

Again, bro, nothing personal, but my take is that you're playing in a potentially dangerous area and haven't done your research. If you had, you would see no need to play with ketosis, especially if your body "has never looked this good."

well its just that everytime i have used the ketositicks they measure negative, I have never tested positive, never. even only a cup of vegetable oil and three pieces of bacon every day for a week once, sure my pee stuck and I shrunk two waist sizes, i just want to know whats wrong.

it shows negative probably because you're not cutting carbs enough along with a high fat diet. ketosis is an unatural phenomenon, so it's not going to be easy to get into. you need to work at it.

your saying there is carbs in one cup of oil and three strips of bacon.....hmmmm
    that was my daily diet for a full week, no carbs or anything else. and those damn ketosticks measured nothing. I felt like ass all day and I lost a sheeit load of weight, face looked cutt. and I even excersised during this time to deplete glycogen levels. I did two days of exhauustive heavy lifting, two days of 1 hr cardio, and 1 day of depletion... my body is just jacked I think, but thanks for your help dr evil

that's interesting. you had a diet of oil and bacon and nothing else?

ketosticks need to be fresh and not exposed to light, moisture, or air. if they are stored improperly then they won't work. besides, are you sure you got ketosticks and not azosticks or some other types of sticks?

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    bro im a diebetic your blood suger is fine. Also these guys are right that will not tell you if your keto or not.Also i think the only way you could get lower blood suger would be if your taking slin or some major fasting. Either way you dont want that it could be real dangerous.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

fasting won't even do it. the only way is to get real hypo-glycemic is to use slin, then you die.

Thread Information