McBain is offline Member

Prostate cancer debate

Ok, I was flipping through some old elitefitness posts and came across this thread that is very interesting and informative.
    http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum...0&pagenumber=6

One thing I couldn't figure out from it and was wondering if anyone can help is whether or not saw palmetto is a good addition to finastride when taking moderate doses of test. Thought I remember reading something amount saw palmetto doing something to hinder gains but it might have just been someone who was against anti-e's in general. Any opinions?
    (Even if you don't have an opinion on my question, thread is a great read imo, lots of good articles that cover the basics and also dive a little deeper than the basics).

EDIT: One of the parts of my confusion was someone quoting that there are two types of 5-alpha reductase and finastride bound to one of them, to prevent transformation of test to DHT, and saw palmetto to the other type. I believe he quoted the type finastride binded to was responsible for 70% of DHT, while the saw palmetto was responsible for 30%. At the same time it seems one would not want to overly eliminate DHT in one's body so that is why I am hesitant to take saw palmetto as well.
    Last edited by McBain; 03-19-2002 at 03:32 PM.

ripped_82 is offline Member
    Well i have used saw palmetto on cycles and have gottin really good gains. I cant say what kinda gains i would get without it, because i always use saw palmeto

The liposterolic (fat-soluble) extract of saw palmetto provides concentrated amounts of free fatty acids and sterols. One study with a saw palmetto extract suggests that it reduces the amount of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) (an active form of testosterone ) binding in the part of the prostate surrounding the urethra (the tube carrying urine from the bladder).1 Test tube studies also suggest that saw palmetto weakly inhibits the action of 5-alpha-reductase, the enzyme responsible for converting testosterone to DHT.2 In test tubes, saw palmetto also inhibits the actions of growth factors and inflammatory substances that may contribute to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Contrary to some opinions, saw palmetto does not have an estrogen-like effect in men’s bodies.

Over the last decade, double-blind clinical trials have proven that 320 mg per day of the liposterolic extract of saw palmetto berries is a safe and effective treatment for the symptoms of BPH. A recent review of studies, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, concluded that saw palmetto extract was as effective as finasteride (Proscar®) in the treatment of BPH.3 The clinical effectiveness of saw palmetto has been shown in trials lasting six months to three years.

A three-year trial in Germany found that taking 160 mg of saw palmetto extract twice daily reduced nighttime urination in 73% of patients and improved urinary flow rates significantly.4 In a double-blind trial, 160 mg of saw palmetto extract taken twice daily was found to treat BPH as effectively as finasteride (Proscar) without side effects, such as loss of libido.5

Saw palmetto extract has also been combined with a nettle root extract to successfully treat BPH. One trial using a combination of saw palmetto extract (320 mg per day) and nettle root extract (240 mg per day) showed positive actions on symptoms of BPH (e.g. improved urine flow, decreased nighttime urination, etc.) over a one-year treatment period.6 Another study compared the same combination to finasteride for one year with positive results.7

McBain is offline Member
    What sort of dosages have you taken ripped of saw palmetto?

ripped_82 is offline Member
    I find the GNS standardizes saw palmetto to be very effective You only need 2 a day max.(Serena repens, 160 mg of 1:10 extract, standardized to 85% fatty acids 0.2%sterols. 1600mg per cap

NightOp is offline Member
    WOW >>> BUMP >>>>>>>>>>> READ THE WHOLE THREAD AT ELITE THAT THE LINK GOES TO

that link to the elite thread is worth completely reading.. took me about an hour and a half to read, but that is mostly because it is very complicated and technical
    Last edited by NightOp; 03-19-2002 at 11:37 PM.

McBain is offline Member
    Yeah think it took me even longer I was delighted thought by Mister X's articles and the back and forth between people quoting studies. Wish there was more of that stuff. Really made me feel confident, after I read it, about now knowing _why_ on a chemical level one should take finastride and saw palmetto. It's really a must read for anyone that doesn't already have an in depth understanding imo.

NightOp is offline Member
    absolutely... same here bro, I feel great after reading the whole thing because that is some very very important info on a wide range of subjects on top of the prostate part.

McBain is offline Member
    Have to bump, really good read if you got the time.

Thread Information