Monica is offline Female Member

Anabolic steroids molecular structure

i got this chem project on anabolic steroids and need to find
    its molecular and structural formula, and its properties. I've checked everywhere. so holla back if, u have any idea where i can find it
    ...the sea was angry that day my friends, like and ol'man tryin send back soup to a deli

The Iron Game Guest
    can you be more specific

i guess its referring to testostrone, cause isnt that what steroids are,
    ...the sea was angry that day my friends, like and ol'man tryin send back soup to a deli

Mike Guest
    oh no! you need to read more into this project LOL

funny you ask though - I am doing a project on this right now

send me a PM

big_guy is offline Associate Member
    monica, this is such a great opportunity. There are soooo many people who have this "fear" of steroids , and only know what media tells them about steroids. Maybe your report could be worded so that the open-minded will have a new respect for steroids and their purpose.. just a thought.... oh and go tell your professor/teacher that there are over 100 different steroids, and that it would be waaaay to much to cover all of them. Each steroid is molecularly different. Each stays in system for diffent amounts of times. Each works in a different way. Whoever gave you this project obviously knows nothing about steroids!! But if u are looking for Testosterone then i could get u the molecular stuff for test. pm me or email me if that is what u want.. but first go talk to your professor... Or let me have a talk with he/she!! i'll set em straight. =) ..

peace

The Iron Game Guest
    "Anabolic /androgenic steroids are analogues of male hormone testosterone . Both have a core 17-carbon steroid chemical structure that gives them anabolic (protein building) and androgenic (masculinizing) properties. Studies were developed to separate the anabolic from the adrogenic effects, but this has been only partially accomplished. The androgenic effects of endogenous testosterone are the development of male reproductive system and secondary sexual character

The ergonogenic effects of anabolic steroids use are acquired for 3 main mechanism of action: 1. They shift the nitrogen equilibrium to the positive side for better utilization of ingested protein and the increased retention of nitrogen. Although temporary and needing a high-protein complementary diet, this effect helps the body to "build" muscles. 2. The formation of a steroid-receptor complex in skeletal muscle stimulates the RNA-polymerase system which, in turn, increase protein synthesis in the cell. 3. Anabolic steroids compete for glucocorticoides receptors, resulting in an anti-catabolic effect by blocking the protein synthesis inhibition which physiologically occurs after exercises due to glucocorticoides liberation. 4. Frequently, an euphoric and more aggressive behavior are experienced by anabolic steroids users, stimulating them to practice more and without fatigue for longer periods."

Mike Guest
    What the hell was that?

You writing her fucking paper IG?? LOL

(Understand that that's not the molecular structure of steroids and that there isn't ONE so i think you need to reassess the objective of your chem project but when you figure out which steroid you want info on - start at this website -

http://triton.ps.toyaku.ac.jp/~dobas...ase/index.html

I will respond to your PM in the morn

CYCLEON Guest
    this should help:

http://www.steraloids.com

ptbyjason Guest
    I have access to one of the top medical libraries in the world. They have all of the chemical structures for all of the steroids (I checked earlier this semester). If you can't find what you are looking for PM or E-mail me.

karlmone is offline New Member

a few properties

steroids in your body are all synthesized from the steroid cholesterol
    steroids are hydrophobic (literally "water fearing) which means that they are not soluble in water but only in other hydrophobic solvents
    because they are hydrophobic they can pass through the lipid bilayer of cell membranes and the nuclear membrane
    once in the nucleus steroids act by binding to DNA and influence transcription of certain regions of DNA, and ultimately synthesis of certain proteins

Is this too detailed, what class is this for (college, High School?)
    I can send you a lot more info about steroids if you specify the requirements for this project.

i know that molecular formula for testosterone is
    C(19) H(28) (O)2, but how exactly how do these elements come together to make testosterone. in other words how is it produced in the body

Nathan is offline Retired Moderator
    How is test produced in the body? It is synthesized from fats. Look up the chemical structure of the cholesterol molecule, that is what testosterone is derived from. There isn't much changes in the structure actually. Both molecules are simply 6-membered (mostly) aromatic rings bonded covalently to one another. I can't remember exactly how to draw it. The tricky crap is when you get into the stereochemistry but don't worry about that.

Thread Information