bumdart420 is offline Associate Member

Blood test reveals 2.5 times the amount...

Just got back from seeing my doctor. She mentioned two numbers that she thought I would find interesting. The first was my cholesterol level, which was just slightly higher than "normal". That's ok cause I am on propinate now and am going to winnie in about 2 weeks, sssooo, on to the next number. The other number and this is more important to me, is my B.U.N. level. I'm not sure about the abbreviation but I think its Bodily Urea Nitrogen level. This measures the amount of protien the body is processing, I believe. I forget what the unit of measurement is but "normal" number are like between say 2.5-5.5. My reading came back as 10.4!! My doctor was curious why my number was so high, so I told her that I must be consuming more protien than the average person but this is where it gets wierd.
    I have not been consuming protien shakes for quite some time, prior to this doctors visit cause I truely think they are bunk. I average about 1 gram of protien per pound of bodyweight from strictly whole foods. That is below the level everyone says a lifter is supposed to consume but if my B.U.N. level is so high doesn't that mean my body is still adequalty being supplied with protien? I have been told 120 grams-140 grams of protien from whole foods is enough for a person that's 200 pounds. Personally, I can't take eating higher levels of protien a day from whole foods because it is difficult as hell to do this year round for me. I feel sluggish and am concerned about kidney stones from excessive protien consumption. Anyone have any input or comments they would like to share, regarding my B.U.N. reading or protien in general?
    Last edited by bumdart420; 04-01-2002 at 11:59 AM.

Fish is offline Junior Member
    I'm not an expert by any means so take this with a grain of salt.
    Maybe you misunderstood and that's just the rate your body is processing the protien and not the amount of protien in your system. Deca and Eq would create such a positive nitrogen balance. Are you taking either of those?

Thanks man, I never looked at it that way. Currently I'm only taking propinate and now winnie v. More replies encouraged.

(bump)

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Reality Check

Originally posted by bumdart420
    I'm not sure about the abbreviation but I think its Bodily Urea Nitrogen level. This measures the amount of protien the body is processing, I believe. I forget what the unit of measurement is but "normal" number are like between say 2.5-5.5. My reading came back as 10.4!! My doctor was curious why my number was so high, so I told her that I must be consuming more protien than the average person but this is where it gets wierd...Anyone have any input or comments they would like to share, regarding my B.U.N. reading or protien in general?
    I"m curious as to whether you are citing correct numbers. The norm range on a BUN for Quest Labs, the largest diagnostic labs here in the States, is 7-25, not 2.5-5.5. I would ask the doc for a copy of your lab report itself so you can see the numbers - all of them, as well as which numbers are out of range.

And don't treat this test lightly. It is not the bodily urea nitrgen, but the blood urea nitrogen test. Quest describes it as follows:

Urea is the principle waste product of protein catabolism. It is synthesized in the liver from ammonia which is produced as a result of the deamination of amino acids and is excreted by the kidneys. BUN is most commonly measured in the diagnosis and treatment of certain renal and metabolic diseases. Increased BUN concentration may result from increased production of urea due to (1) diet or excessive destruction of cellular proteins as occurs in massive infection and fevers, (2) reduced renal perfusion resulting from dehydration or heart failure, (3) nearly all types of kidney disease, and (4) mechanical obstruction to urine excretion such as is caused by stones, tumors, infection, or stricture, decreased urea levels are less frequent and occur primarily in advanced liver disease.

In other words, the BUN is one of the essential kidney function tests. If it's significantly out of whack, that means that your kidneys are out of whack. My advice: be up front with your doctor about your AS use. (I assume you have the same physician-patient confidentiality protections in B.C. as we have in the States.) It is very important to determine whether your abnormal BUN is due to AS or if it has another, more organic cause. In other words, we are not merely talking about protein here, we're talking about your freakin' kidneys! Don't let this one go by the wayside, bro - you don't need to be fucking with potential kidney failure, so if it is due to the AS, your body may be trying to tell you something.

Thread Information