Coach is offline New Member

New guy ask'n guestions

Fellas I'm 51 yrs old. over weight and I'm on a mission. I'm not looking to be Arnold or even close(for now). Where and how do I start? I realize that's a broad guestion, but that's how it is. I have access to a great gym whenever I want it. I'm pretty sure I have a contact. What Steroid do I start with, how long, how much, when. Do I change to something different latter? I need to know all of this,no clue what so ever.
    The more info I can get the better off I am. Can ya give an old guy a hand?

A.K. BOY is offline Associate Member
    The first and last lesson you'll ever need to know about AS is....It's not something you can just jump into...I would study up partner and then ask questions....just my opinion

P.S. your not gonna wanto think you have a contact your gonna want to know you have a contact! there are alota scammers out there
    Last edited by A.K. BOY; 04-27-2002 at 11:31 PM.

packwolf is offline New Member
    Coach , Welcome. I am 37 years old and I also found a forum here titled "OVER 30 FORUM " if you interested.

I visit all of them. Just a heads up buddy.
    Last edited by packwolf; 04-27-2002 at 11:35 PM.

Baldguy is offline New Member
    Start w/ diet and proper training. You'll be amazed at what those two things can do. After at least a year of solid training and proper diet, reevaluate your goals. You'll be in a better position to realistically do this then.

In the mean time, continue reading, do searches, sit back and learn. This is a wonderful place for information.

Welcome to the board.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Re: New guy ask'n guestions

Originally posted by Coach
    Fellas I'm 51 yrs old. over weight and I'm on a mission. I'm not looking to be Arnold or even close(for now). Where and how do I start? I realize that's a broad guestion, but that's how it is. I have access to a great gym whenever I want it. I'm pretty sure I have a contact. What Steroid do I start with, how long, how much, when. Do I change to something different latter? I need to know all of this,no clue what so ever.
    The more info I can get the better off I am. Can ya give an old guy a hand?
    Welcome to Anabolic Review Coach !

First off I would suggest a check up at the doctor, and see what condition your heart and body is in. Then I would take up lifting for at least 1 yr before even thinking about steroids .

Steroids are not the cure-all and end all of getting a great body, they are a means to which you can obtain a great body, when your natural achievement has plateaued.

I would learn about training and diet 1st before thinking about steroids.

just my 2 ¢

Thanks from the old new guy

Thank You gentlemen. I think the main theme here is this. Get in good shape first, excercise and diet. Study up on my subject. See a doctor and be patient.

Thanks guy's

Originally posted by packwolf
    Coach , Welcome. I am 37 years old and I also found a forum here titled "OVER 30 FORUM " if you interested.

I visit all of them. Just a heads up buddy.
    Yes Coach, make sure to visit the Over 30 Forum. We can use your imput there for sure !

Re: Thanks from the old new guy

Originally posted by Coach
    Thank You gentlemen. I think the main theme here is this. Get in good shape first, excercise and diet. Study up on my subject. See a doctor and be patient.

Thanks guy's
    You're a quick learner brother, I like that Again Welcome to AR

big_guy is offline Associate Member
    like everyone else said, before u start u need a good base..... build up a good base, get in shape, and then u'll be ready to roll.

Again, thanks gents!

Coach

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

This plagiarism has to stop!

These guys have stolen all my usual answers!

Anyway, welcome to the board, Coach.

Unlike many newbies here, you already have a good base of knowledge from your coaching experience and training your son to compete in powerlifting. The first thing to consider, of course, is that training yourself is a lot different than training a bunch of teenagers or young adults, and your questions have shown that you are open to new learning.

Do check out the Over 30 board. Canes has covered the most important thing: If it's been a while since you have personally trained or exercised, the starting point is a basic physical exam that includes a cardiogram and, if your doctor feels it's appropriate, a stress test (EKG on a treadmill). Also discuss any underlying conditions you may have; I usually recommend being up front with your physician in terms of any planned AS use - your communications are protected by physician-patient confidentiality, of course, but I also recommend asking your doctor not to mention your discussions or any future AS use in your chart (in the event that your chart ever becomes part of a legal action, such as in the case ofa motor vehicle accident, regardless of who is at fault).

Two additional key tests you should know about . . .

There is a wonderful thing about being 51 (or any other age over 40). There has been much study in the area of andropause (the male equivalent of menopause), and it has been found that many mature guys have lower levels of testosterone than younger guys. What this means from an anabolic perspective is that, if your test level is low enough, you may qualify for the medical use of testosterone , which is the "building block" of steroids . This means that you can not only get your test from legit sources (namely, the local pharmacy), it may also be covered by your health insurance (if you have a prescription plan). However, before going on test for medical reasons, do some research into the various delivery systems (gel, patches, pellets, or injectables) - the general thinking is that test injections are the best, most tried and true method, but you should become literate in the advantages and disadvantages of all of them.

The other essential test is the PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen), which is recommended forall men over 50 (over 40 if you have any family history of prostate cancer). Testosterone can impact the prostate, so getting a PSA now will provide a baseline reading for future labwork. Ditto basic lab work for cholesterol and liver/kidney function; get the baseline tests before doing AS, whether medically or in the form of a cycle.

At 5'8" and 225 pounds, your doctor will probably tell you that you meet the clinical standards for obesity (unless you already pack mostly muscle rather than body fat). If that's the case, then diet and exercise are important before doing anabolics. Remember that steroids tend to pack on some pounds (preferably as muscle rather than fat, but some gain comes in the form of water retention); therefore, the idea (especially as a mature adult) is to lose before you gain. Even if you don't have heavy weight loss before doing a cycle, something like testosterone will help you reverse your ratio of body fat in favor of lean muscle mass when combined with diet and exercise.

You've taken the first step by posting, and I commend you for your determination to improve your health through conditioning. You've also got the right frame of mind - patience is the toughest thing to master in the process.

Once again, welcome to A.R.

A.K. BOY is offline Associate Member
    TNT How much time do you spend on the AR??? just wondering

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool As if I have no life? (J/K)...

Originally posted by A.K. BOY
    TNT How much time do you spend on the AR??? just wondering
    Oh, about five minutes a day.

Seriously, I'm on the Internet for research about four hours a day (according to my ISP usage stats), usually about 30-45 minutes at a time. But each time I get on the 'net, I check into A.R. before I log off so the unread posts don't build up too much. I also multi-task so there's often an A.R. screen up while I'm doing other things.

Contrary to popular conception, even the long posts don't take too much time to type - I type 96 words per minute. Comes from my early career as an amateur Billy Joel (cocktail bar piano).

tbulldog is offline Associate Member
    welcome bro, when you go get checked at the doc, talk to him too, he may be a contact you never knew you had.....good luck
    tbull

tbulldog is offline Associate Member
    BTW, be sure you research,even if you and your doc agree on a particular AS, docs are not formally educated in AS

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Coach!

I'll throw in my $0.02 just for grins--even though I am going to echo a lot of what's been so wisely said already!

Getting in shape first is essential.

If you are 50+ and overweight/out of shape, adding 20-25 lbs--even if it is muscle--will be an additional strain on your cardiovascular system. It would be a shame to do one cycle just to have a good-looking corpse at the funeral! Also, if you don't have the stamina, you won't be able to work out at the intensity level you need to maximize your muscle gain on steroids .

I am not a doctor or a health-care professional, but my plan of attack would be something like this:

Get a checkup. Make sure that your doctor gives you the 'all clear' to start an exercise program.

Devise an exercise program with two goals in mind:

One, improve your overall cardio fitness. You will need endurance for weight lifting and you need to be sure your heart can handle any additional weight you add when you start taking AS (Anabolic Steroids). I prefer bike riding because it's enjoyable for me (thus I am more inclined to stick with it) and far easier on my knees than running. Cardio is also the single best way to lose weight (fat) bar none in my opinion. This will also set the weight-loss machine in motion too!

Two: start a lifting routine. You will find that even us old guys an make excellent progress quickly by starting to lift. The first few months are a golden time for easy gains at any age. On top of the natural gains you make, you will also be strengthening the connective tissues in your joints, which is VERY important! You can make amazing strength gains on AS, in fact, you can gain so fast that you can tear your body apart! It’s great that you know a thing or two about power lifting; I think power lifting is a great base for bodybuilding. More body builders should know the basics of power lifting; power leads to size and you can’t have size without power! Besides, muscles should be good for something besides being nice to look at in the mirror!

A lot of people counsel the younger ones to lift for three to five years to ‘build up a base’ and to get down below 15% body fat before they take AS. Well, at 40, I couldn’t see waiting 5 years; I wanted the health benefits now.

When to start taking AS? I guess that’s an individual choice. I decided to do it sooner rather than later and I am happy with my choice. Seeing the results of taking AS was a huge motivation that allowed me to achieve results far beyond what the AS alone could. It ‘pushed me over the crest of the hill’ if you will. Once I started to get stronger, chronic pains in my knees and back subsided allowing me to do more. Seeing muscular development motivated me to eat better and bike harder to lose weight. I also quit smoking because it was impeding my progress. It can do wonders!

But do make sure that your body is prepared. Rapid growth on AS is a significant stress in many ways and if your body can’t handle it, you can do more harm than good!

Welcome to AR Coach and good luck!

PS: How did your son do in the power lifting competition?

Originally posted by Ajax
    It’s great that you know a thing or two about power lifting; I think power lifting is a great base for bodybuilding. More body builders should know the basics of power lifting; power leads to size and you can’t have size without power! Besides, muscles should be good for something besides being nice to look at in the mirror!

Man Ajax, you are like having a 2nd TNT on board here. You sure you and TNT aren't brothers ?

Why isn't Ajax a VET yet ?

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Welcome Coach,

I see your question is already paying off with good informatiom.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the compliment Canes, but believe me, I am no TNT!

I would like to think that I am a good writer (like TNT), but he has a depth of knowledge that puts my measley pharma-bio-fitness knowledge pool to shame. No amount of verbal eloquence can make up for that!

Thread Information