BOBBY D is offline Member

Cigarettes, Roids, Training?

hey guys, i used to be a descent smoker (1pk/day) about 19yrs-25yrs old. we know it is truly hard to stop, but im taking my training seriously & trying to stop smoking all together. im 26yrs old now & i smoke exactly 4 cigs @ night. it does effect my reps & sets & cardio somewhat, but its better than 1-2pks. my question is how bad do cigs effect growth & is anybody in the same boat as i am.

lilripped is offline Associate Member
    I used to smoke and it killed my gains. I am a hardgainer and it made it nearly impossible for me to put on weight. I know first hand its hard to quit but definitely worth it from a training perspective.

sasquatch is offline Associate Member
    I used to smoke to.
    First of all, congrats on reducing the number of cigs per day down to 4. Some people cannot quit cold turkey, so reducing is the only thing that works for them. You may be in the same boat.
    But even with 4 cigs a day, your lungs will not begin to heal up yet. You need to completely get off cigs before your lungs even begin to get back to normal. So your next step should be to figure out how to reduce that 4 cigarettes/day down to 0 cigs/day.

Quote Originally Posted by lilripped
    I used to smoke and it killed my gains. I am a hardgainer and it made it nearly impossible for me to put on weight. I know first hand its hard to quit but definitely worth it from a training perspective.
    same w/ me, im a hard gainer as well but i dont some during the day or before training, just after dinner & before i go to bed. im taking test/deca /dbol , i realize also by bp goes up when i smoke, & test doesnt help that either.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    just had a nice thread on this somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch
    I used to smoke to.
    First of all, congrats on reducing the number of cigs per day down to 4. Some people cannot quit cold turkey, so reducing is the only thing that works for them. You may be in the same boat.
    But even with 4 cigs a day, your lungs will not begin to heal up yet. You need to completely get off cigs before your lungs even begin to get back to normal. So your next step should be to figure out how to reduce that 4 cigarettes/day down to 0 cigs/day.
    good realization. thats my goal, or even just have a few on the weekends, but then i get carried away & want to drink & relax. I told my friend the other day, there is no relaxing during a cycle, & thats the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    just had a nice thread on this somewhere else.
    LIKE to check it out

gixxer600 is offline Member
    Good for you bro. I smoke about a pack a day as well. Really sux, especially when everyone around you smokes. Luckily I'm not a hard gainer, but come cutting time, I'm gonna need an oxygen tank with me on the treadmill. It's really hard to quit. I tried a few times. I will try again in the near future. Out of curiosity, anyone see that video of Marcus Ruhl smoking when he cuts? Looks hilarious!! (sorry, I'm not trying to jack this thread!) I figured it was on along the same topic.

Didnt see i that video. but just to let u guys no, my appettite is great, i just think i can achieve more gains & mind setting if i stopped.

gixxer600 is offline Member
    My appetite is pretty good as well. I could only imagine what would happen if I quit though.

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    I used to smoke. Get some skoal pouches. They help take the edge off.

Reptile is offline Associate Member
    smoking will prevent weight gain in most scenarios, a common reason women smoke.
    as far as makin gains, smokin greatly impacts the bodies circulation, now if your bodybuilding u already know how important circulation is to muscle development. cigarettes deplete the body of O2, and cut off nutrients to where they are most needed, ie, arms after training. if uve ever seen the show on tv called "doctor 90210", you would have a better idea of how serious this is. this doc said that perfoming an operation on someone who smokes is crazy, because the body wont recuperate properly if the patient continues to smoke post operation. now thats intersting!
    im also in the same boat as u tho bro, i smoke buts occasionally, about 3-4 a day, and its a recent habbit that ive picked up, and ive noticed that it seriously hinders my growth. Quiting is a lot easier said than done though, every night i tell myself, "ok, no more butts tommorow", and sometimes i get up until the night time and then give in. Its most difficult at work when i have a spare moment i find myself going outside for a butt, its also difficult when anything slightly stressful arises i say "ahhh screw it" and i have one.
    people who dont smoke dont understand how good it feels to give your body niccotine when its craving for it, its instant euphoria, hence the extreme difficulty people have kicking the habbit. Im still working on quitting myself, but the only advice i could offer which i had sucess with in the past, (quit for 3 years), is cold turkey. I think its the best way to go, cut down at first so ur body only expects 1 ciggarette a day, and then stop completely. cutting down is very difficult because you will always have butts on or near you, and u are liable to give in at any time and have one. Also, try not to hang around people who smoke, because they dont give a fuk if ur trying to quit they will still light up around u as they please. good luck bro, to all of us trying to kick this dirty habbit.

great insight reptile, i need to stop

Geeezer is offline Senior Member
    I smoked for 30 trs it will be 3 yrs june 20th
    It was one of the hardest things I did.
    Dont do AS and smoke\,Kick the habit Bro
    Best of luck to you

geeez

Magnum II is offline Associate Member
    Agree with the Reptile. Not easy to do but well worth the doing.

For me, the lock is the impact Nicotine has on your circulatory system. It constricts your blood vessels preventing a full flow of nutrients to your muscle tissue...BAD NEWS BRO. You're in the sym bustin your hump and that sh** is traveling around in your system working against all the hard work you've just done. Give it up bro.

Body building and smoking are mutually exclusive--no place for them to coexist.

thinkican is offline Junior Member
    Its a great idea to quit either way.Does it hinder gains?I doubt it.I am good friends with a national level bodybuilder.The guy smokes atleast a pack a day and he is huge.5'10 around 280 and pretty ripped.If smoking truly hinders gains I guess if he quit he could be bigger than Ronny Coleman.

Thread Information