tallyjuice is offline Member

Var does not suppress HPTA

I found this on the profile. Is this true?

The third reason which speaks well for an intake of Oxandrolone is that even in a very high dosage this compound does not influence the body's own testosterone production. To make this clear: Oxandrolone does not suppress the body's own hormone production. The reason is that it does not have a negative feedback mechanism on the hypothalamohypophysial testicular axis, meaning that during the intake of Oxandrolone, unlike during the intake of most anabolic steroids , the testes signal the hypothalamus not to reduce or to stop the release of GnRH (gonadotropin releasing hormone) and LHRH Luteinizing hormone releasing hormone). This special feature of Oxandrolone can be explained by the fact that the substance is not converted into estrogen Oxandrolone (Anavar ), when given to normal men in high doses does not reduce the seminal volume or count, nor can it be converted (aromatized) into estrogen.

You didn't find that on MY profile!

As for your question, yes, Var suppresses the HPTA to some degree.

mark956101957 is offline Anabolic Member
    Not at all!? Doubt it!

toc67guru is offline Associate Member
    i agree with hooker all AAS will depending on dosage and duration cause suppression of the HPTA,this includes the milder ones such as primo,winstrol ,anavar .

it was once thought if a drug did not aromatise to estrogen it did not affect the HPTA.this is now known to be untrue as high androgens,estrogens,progestins and prolactin have a negative impact on the hypothalmus.

toolman is offline Banned
    Someone posted a great article showing it does supress it, though I used to believe it did not. THis said, I was on a non test cycle and by week 6 on var and Primo, my libido went south. I could still get it up and perform, just wasn't high on my priority list as it usually is number 1

This is an article from Muscular Development from the Building The Perfect Beast Column. Bignatt posted this a while ago. What does everyone think?

Q: In your books Chemical Muscle Enhancement and building the perfect beast you say anavar doesn't negativley effect the HPTA i heard about a study that proves it does in olnly a few days is this something you disagree with?

A: Hmmm, so you feel that oxandrolone (anavar) is inhibitive to the HPTA itself? interesting. Or may it may be a matter of matter of not understating what the HPTA refers to.

Why would anyone care if the HPTA did anything?
    The HPTA is the group of glands that directly regulates the amount of androgens and sperm the male produce The hypothalamus secretes GnRH When GnRH meets up with the pituirtary gland it tells it to release LH and FSH Then LH and FSH act as chemical messengers that tell the testes to produce androgens and sperm if we do not have androgens or sperm we do not have muscle or sex

What directly regulates the hpta?
    For the most part we are aware that the HPTA is regulated to the greatest extent by estrogen levels in the bodys blood circulatory system and we know most anabolic androgenic steroids aromatize to estrogens to some degree or have some estrogenic nature themselves thus we use the specific degree of aromatization and the prime deciding factor in regard to HPTA supressing potential for any AAS in short more estrogen means less natural testosterone and sperm production
    Oxandrolone does not aromatize to estrogens and is therefore not directly inhibitive or suppresive to HPTA function I have monitored many hrt recipients who only used oxandrolone for prolonged periods with few exceptions these individuals maintained 60% or more normal HPTA activity since weekly LH and FSH fluctuations can sometimes be 50% +or- normal for any individual this is not a true sign of direct HPTA suppresion these individuals also have lower than normal estrogen levels due to no accumalative estrogen from aromatization with post oxandrolone use the return of normal LH and FSH is fairly quick
    LH levels decrease with non aromatizing AAS due to increased neuronet activity this is a common effect of dht and its derivatives such as oxandrolone this is not HPTA suppresion due to a true negative feedback loop but rather neuronet overload in short the HPTA stands for Hypothalamus Pituitary Testes Axis. Not to be a smart ass but there is no N for neuro-net in HPTA

Anavar won't shut you down, but it can suppress you. L. Rea is incorrect.

Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1993 Apr;38(4):393-8.
    The effects of oxandrolone on the growth hormone and gonadal axes in boys with constitutional delay of growth and puberty.
    Malhotra A, Poon E, Tse WY, Pringle PJ, Hindmarsh PC, Brook CG.

Endocrine Unit, Middlesex Hospital, London, UK.

OBJECTIVE: We studied the effects of oxandrolone on serum concentrations of LH, FSH, testosterone , GH, SHBG, DHEAS, IGF-I and insulin in boys with constitutional delay of growth and puberty. DESIGN: Ten boys with constitutional delay of growth and puberty, mean age 13.8 years (range 12.4-15.5) were studied. Twenty-four-hour serum concentration profiles of GH, LH and FSH were constructed by drawing blood samples at 20-minute intervals. Three study occasions over a period of 6 months were chosen to assess hormone concentrations before, during and 6 weeks after a 3-month course of oxandrolone (2.5 mg once daily) therapy. RESULTS: Growth velocity increased during oxandrolone treatment and stayed higher after therapy (pre 3.9 +/- 0.5; on 6.3 +/- 0.8; post 6.4 +/- 0.9 cm/year (mean +/- SEM) two way ANOVA, F = 5.3, P = 0.02). Oxandrolone had androgenic effects, suppressing mean serum LH concentrations from 1.7 +/- 0.3 to 1.1 +/- 0.2 U/I and serum testosterone concentrations from 1.9 +/- 0.6 to 0.8 +/- 0.1 nmol/l. SHBG concentrations were also reduced from 130.9 +/- 14.6 to 30.7 +/- 7.3 nmol/l. Serum GH concentration fell slightly from 5.9 +/- 0.6 to 4.8 +/- 0.5 mU/l. After cessation of treatment, there was a significant 'rebound' in mean 24-hour serum LH (2.6 U/l +/- 0.4) and testosterone concentrations (3.2 +/- 0.9 nmol/l) but no change in serum GH concentrations. SHBG values also rose but not to the same extent as those observed before therapy (82.0 +/- 8.4 nmol/l). There were no statistically significant differences in serum concentrations of FSH, DHEAS, IGF-I and insulin over the study period. In a stepwise multiple regression analysis of factors that might influence the growth rate observed, the 24-hour mean serum testosterone concentration and the treatment (on or off) with oxandrolone were the main influences. The relationship was described by the equation Height velocity = 0.69 (24-hour mean serum testosterone concentration)+1.70 (treatment regimen)+3.37 (adjusted R2 = 0.35, F = 8.39, P = 0.001). CONCLUSIONS: Oxandrolone has an androgenic action as shown by changes in serum LH, testosterone and SHBG concentrations and by the lack of effect on FSH. No effect of oxandrolone on the GH axis was documented. We suggest that the growth promoting effects of oxandrolone are related in part to the mild androgenic effects of the steroid and the growth acceleration following oxandrolone withdrawal may reflect increasing total serum testosterone concentrations and decreasing levels of SHBG and progress in puberty.

PMID: 8319371 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Excellent explanation. You can always rely on. Thanx buddy.

You also wrote this. Contrary to what I've heard, you are saying that you can use 5-10mg/day as a bridge? Will this even work as a bridge?

"So why else may you keep such a high proportion of what you gained on ‘var? Well, I think it may be due to it’s relatively light impact on the HPTA, which brings me to my final point; Anavar will not totally shut down your HPTA, especially at lower doses (unlike testosterone , which will eventually do this even at a 100mg dose, or deca which will do it with a single 100mg dose). This could be due, at least partly, to the fact that Anavar doesn’t aromatize (convert to estrogen).
    Serum testosterone, SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin), and LH (Leutinizing Hormone( will be slightly suppressed with low doses of Anavar, but less than with other compounds. FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) , IGF1 (Insulin Like Growth Factor 1) and GH (Growth Hormone ) will not be suppressed with a low dose of Anavar and LH will even experience a “rebound” effect when you stop using anavar (3) If your endocrine system and HPTA are funtioning normally, you should be able to use anavar with minimal insult to it, and can even keep most of your values within the normal range (5).

Thus, Anavar may even be ideal for use in bridges between cycles, (at very low doses under 10mgs perhaps)."

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    great post Hooker

ricky69 is offline New Member
    "Oxandrolone had androgenic effects, suppressing mean serum LH concentrations from 1.7 +/- 0.3 to 1.1 +/- 0.2 U/I and serum testosterone concentrations from 1.9 +/- 0.6 to 0.8 +/- 0.1 nmol/l. SHBG concentrations were also reduced from 130.9 +/- 14.6 to 30.7 +/- 7.3 nmol/l. Serum GH concentration fell slightly from 5.9 +/- 0.6 to 4.8 +/- 0.5 mU/l"

I was wondering if the above is only true for boys with regards to the degree of suppression. For example, it appears the LH concentrations are suppresed by approx 1 UI which works out 50% in these subjects, but isnt there higher levels in adult men? And thus a suppression of of 1 UI for an adult male could work out to be only a few percent which is insignificant? Any views would be appreciated

sigman roid is offline Ar's cockney geezer Retired
    Last edited by sigman roid; 05-08-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Immortal Soldier is offline Anabolic Member
    Anavar DOES suppress the HPTA at higher dosages, but it is not strong enough to shut down the HPTA.

It doesn't really matter since anavar is a pretty expensive compound when looking at the dosage vs benefits effects. Suppression is likely to occur, but it depends how much a 20-40% suppression is managable.

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    Welcome to 2005 fellas...

Someguy123 is offline Member
    this is all great information. but if you are gonna run a Var only cycle, what else should you run?? light dose of HCG once a week?? nolva?? and what kinda PCT should you run?? i hear a lot of people say to run Arimidex with the PCT. which didnt make much sense to me, since Var doesnt aromatize.

Lecent83 is offline Junior Member
    Interested in Var cycle advice... I think that's next compound on my list

I'd like to use it for "endurance" style training cycle and from what i've read test-E at 150-200mg a week and var 20-40mg day can go a long way for a 10 week cycle.

I was thinking more like this though

Test - Cyp 1-8 200mg/wk
    Var 1-6 30mg/ED
    Last edited by Lecent83; 06-09-2011 at 11:22 PM.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Lecent83 View Post
    Interested in Var cycle advice... I think that's next compound on my list

I'd like to use it for "endurance" style training cycle and from what i've read test-E at 150-200mg a week and var 20-40mg day can go a long way for a 10 week cycle.

I was thinking more like this though

Test - Cyp 1-8 200mg/wk
    Var 1-6 30mg/ED
    You bumped a 2005 thread

Lecent83 is offline Junior Member
    it was relevant to my interests lol

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    lol a double edged blade...

there is a search function for countless same question over and over...
    and u bumped a oldie thread haha..

gotta have a balance lol

Thread Information