Thread: nerve damage?

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member

nerve damage?

a couple nights ago i went to bed and i got a throbing sensation from what seemed to come from deep down in my left trap close to my neck. and the pain shots and throbs from my neck all the way down to my left tricep. i thought nothing of it b/c it went away durring the night. Last night at 5 am i woke up b/c the pain was un barable. i took 3 tylenols and 1 anti inflamatory and they didnt faze it. which leads me to believe its nerve related. the only thing that comes to mind is a year ago when i had my shoulder they did a nerve block in the exact same spot the pain is coming from. but ive been fine for the last year, any thoughts on what it could be im considering going to the hospital, bc the pain is horrible.

thx

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Do you do trap injections?

never done a trap injection and i have never injected in that delt either

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Intensity
    never done a trap injection and i have never injected in that delt either
    Hmmm, the only thing I think it could be is either you hit a nerve injecting (which it isnt b/c you said you dont inject there) or you pinched a nerve doing shurgs, if you sqeeze too hard at the top of the motion there is a chance that you can pinch the nerve that runs through the trap. Other than that I'm not really sure, maybe the doc IS what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Testsubject
    Hmmm, the only thing I think it could be is either you hit a nerve injecting (which it isnt b/c you said you dont inject there) or you pinched a nerve doing shurgs, if you sqeeze too hard at the top of the motion there is a chance that you can pinch the nerve that runs through the trap. Other than that I'm not really sure, maybe the doc IS what you need.

if i squeez like im doing a shrug it shoots pain down my arm. but i haven't done shrugs in a couple days. assuming a nerve is pinched there isn't much they can do is there/

tonytone is offline Anabolic Member
    nerve problems can be hard to diagnose...I can't see why the pain might be referring to the tricep area (sounds like the traps/or deep back is the origin). The traps are innervated by a cranial nerve (nerve that originates from the brainstem), cranial nerve XI to be exact. I'm a little rusty on my nerve pathology. Nerves that innervate the upper limbs are spinal nerves (originating from the spinal cord). Different docs might recommend different tests....might get an MRI of the shoulder, as it MIGHT be a rotator cuff problem on the dorsal side. The rotator cuffs are significanly involved in the usage of your arm. One might recommend a cervical spine MRI...don't really know, tough to say....I know it sucks, but you will probably have to run a few different tests to find out what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by tonytone36
    nerve problems can be hard to diagnose...I can't see why the pain might be referring to the tricep area (sounds like the traps/or deep back is the origin). The traps are innervated by a cranial nerve (nerve that originates from the brainstem), cranial nerve XI to be exact. I'm a little rusty on my nerve pathology. Nerves that innervate the upper limbs are spinal nerves (originating from the spinal cord). Different docs might recommend different tests....might get an MRI of the shoulder, as it MIGHT be a rotator cuff problem on the dorsal side. The rotator cuffs are significanly involved in the usage of your arm. One might recommend a cervical spine MRI...don't really know, tough to say....I know it sucks, but you will probably have to run a few different tests to find out what's going on

well my doc wasn't available so i had to see some new asshole. Told him i'd taken 5 tylenols already and a perscription anti inflamtory and that it didn't even faze the pain. So he goes and takes an xray of my ****ing chest sayin that it could be caused by a problem in my chest. How do u explain it shooting down my arm then if its not nerve related. and yes it feels like it comes from deep inside my trap closer to my shoulder then my neck but deep in there and shoots down the rear of my arm. I got a friend to lend me some tylenol 3's and i've pumped a few of them in me as well and now the pain is manageable. what is really worrying me is the strength in my arm is completely gone. i can't even push open a door with my left arm wtf. its starting to scar me.. and the doc is like well if it doesn't go away in a few days it might be nerve related so come back and the asshol e gave me nothing for pain....

bump

TheNextBigThing is offline Associate Member
    I did something like that about a week ago. I was doing box jumps and when I landed on the box one of the worst pains I have ever felt in my life shot down from my neck at about the base of my skull to my elbow on my left side. I was lucky, that was the last part of my workout and I just stopped and went to shower. It hurt all day and I couldn't flex my trap without pain. I went to sleep and when I woke up I felt nothing. So i guess that if you have the same thing I had, maybe just a little bit of time is all you need.

towtheline is offline Junior Member

Pain

I would get cervical and thoracic X-rays monday morning first thing. I am not going to diagnose you, sounds like vertebral dysfunction causing nerve entrapment and muscle weakness. This is a fairly common problem with athletes and esp. weight lifters. go to a reputable Doctor of Chiropractic and get adjustedd. For now put ice on for 15 minutes followed by moist heat for 20 minutes with no break between applications. You can freeze water in styrofoam cups and peel away layers as it melts and for moist heat soak a small towel in water and heat in microwave. This should get you through until monday. Good luck, I have had this before and seen many people with the same prob, heals fast, but very much a pain in the ass for now. LMK how you are holding up.

dragon69 is offline Member
    hey FULL INTENSITY;
    I'm have a practice in which I'm treating these kinds of things everyday. First of all, CALM DOWN... you will get some help for your problem, don't worry. Sounds to me like you have a vertebral issue or even more likely a phenomenon called 'refered pain'. The pattern you describe DEFINATELY is a common 'referal pattern' and one in which I see regularly in my practice. I suggest you see someone in the 'manual therapy' industry (RMT, DC, PT) to address this issue. If it doesn't resolve, try someone else.
    Too bad you live on the other side of the country (I'm west) or I'd do it myself. An questions etc PM me and I'll be glad to help you. BTW, if it is 'refered pain' a heat application would get you some help. DON"T LEAVE IT IN THIS CONDITION. SEE A PRO!

RAM2500 is offline Member
    Sounds just like a herniated disc, I had one at C5-C6.

Thread Information