Thread: Migraines

Toxicity is offline New Member

Migraines

I started a test cycle 2 weeks ago and the other day while doing bench, I got a massive migraine on the right side of my head.
    It hit me while I was straining on the last rep of the 3rd set.
    then I had a small rest and the pain died down a bit, but came back as soon as I started working out again.
    The same thing happened again today, it seems to only affect me when I lift a heavy load then dies down and goes away when I stop my workout. I've never had this before and I was wondering could it be from high blood pressure cause of test?.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    It sounds like blood pressure to me...if you get a migrain it will last a lot longer and you will probley feel sick and see flashing lights................

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Migraine

Reviewed by Dr Jeni Worden, GP

What is a migraine?

A migraine is a throbbing, intense headache in one half of the head. It can affect people of all ages. The cause of migraine is not known.

During an attack, the blood vessels in the brain dilate and then draw together with stimulation of nerve endings near the affected blood vessels. These changes to the blood vessels are probably what cause the pain.

Are migraines hereditary?

There is often a predisposition for migraine within the family of migraine sufferers, but it is not certain how large a role heredity plays.

What might trigger migraine?

Most people suffering from migraine are aware that different foods, such as cheese, chocolate or wine, can cause the attacks. Other things that may trigger an attack include exercise, anxiety, the contraceptive pill and travel. These particular causal factors vary from patient to patient. Some women experience attacks more frequently around the time of their menstrual periods.

Migraine sufferers should avoid factors such as alcohol, lack of sleep and foods that are known to cause attacks.

How does the doctor make a diagnosis?

The doctor is often able to make a diagnosis by looking at the way the illness has progressed. To be able to diagnose the migraine, it is suggested that the following conditions should be met:

the attack lasted from 4 to 72 hours

the attack should feature at least two of the following characteristics: pain only in one half of patient's head; a throbbing sensation; moderate to severe pain, or pain that worsens with movement.

During the attack at least one of the following conditions must be met: nausea and/or vomiting; sensitivity to light and sound.

Up to 15 per cent of patients also experience visual problems before an attack. They may also suffer from problems with their speech and numbness of hands, arms or legs during an attack.

In addition to an interview, the doctor should also perform a physical examination. If there is any doubt about the diagnosis, the doctor will refer the patient to an expert on diseases of the brain (neurologist).

How is a migraine treated?

Treatment is most effective if given at the start of an attack and consists of either injections or tablets. If attacks are frequent, preventive treatment or prophylactic treatment as doctors call it, may be recommended. This usually involves taking daily medication, so may not be appropriate for people who suffer only occasional migraines.

The doctor often has to test several kinds of medication and perhaps combine them before the most effective treatment for each individual patient can be found. Alternative therapies, such as homoeopathy and acupuncture, are also used and are often combined with lifestyle and dietary advice.

thx bex
    I might go see a doc tomorrow.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    I know what its like bro...Good luck

murph is offline Member
    i had a migraine that lasted about three days once,...after several test the Dr. told me i was low in sodium,...he told me to add more to my food and it would go away,...well he was right and i dont get them anymore,.......if i even think i might be,.....i do add a bit more in the next meal, and it seems to never really kick in,.....good luck, i know they suck bad (real hard to even workout w/ one)

Just got back from docs
    BP reading was 152/80
    I'm gonna get blood work on mon so see what happens.

Thread Information