G-Force is offline Anabolic Member

Ephedrine, catabolic or anti-catabolic?

i have read conflicting views on both sides

CATABOLIC

It's an adrenal agonist which means that it can stimulate the release of epinephrine (adrenaline). This can be catabolic as one of the knock on effects of adrenaline release is cortisol release which causes the breakdown of amino acids for energy.

The body usually gets these aminos from the muscles hence catabolic activity.

However if you were to take a handful of amino acids or more specifically BCAAs along with your effy this would prevent the muscle breakdown as the body would utilise the BCAAs for energy instead.

BCAAs also facilitate catecholimide release which are fat burney things in the body

The thermogenic effect comes from enhanced Beta receptor activity as Beta 3 receptors tell the body to burn more energy for heat in the brown fat (brown cos it's dense with mitochondria which are fat furnaces), Beta 3 activity is not related to adrenal activity which is why clen tends to be a better fat burner as you don't have the problem of cortisol.

ANTI-CATABOLIC

10mgs of E with 100mgs of C dosed every 2hrs for a total daily intake of 60mgs E/600mgs C.

Used as such, E/C exerts a small effect on nutrient partitioning, shifting the balance in a positive manner with regards muscle preservation and lipolysis. Ephedrine is muscle sparing in much the same way clenbuteral is.

Anything that promotes fat burning is anti-catabolic (for muscle tissue).

Funny enough, total starvation is extremely anti-catabolic after the first 3 days. Ketone bodies block the use of AA's for energy and muscle is spared until the body exhausts it's fat stores.

bump

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    My understanding is that it is has weak anti-catabolic properties. Combine that with good diet and intense training you should be able to salvage gains,
    i.e after a AAS cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Prada
    My understanding is that it is has weak anti-catabolic properties. Combine that with good diet and intense training you should be able to salvage gains,
    i.e after a AAS cycle

thats what i thought
    but people have been telling me different lately

bump - whats the general consensus on this?

stupidhippo is offline Anabolic Member
    I think all in all its mildly anabolic /anti-catabolic. While what u are saying about ketone bodies is correct i still believe total starvation all in all is catabolic, even the first days... Another example which sorta covers the same topic: U would think that ppl with hypocortisolinism would be protected from the catabolic effect of cortisol.. Well they are but the effects on insulin metabolism is enought to overwork this, causin ppl with this condition to not have much muscles.. I like ur take on this though... many ppl tend to oversimplify too much : this drug effects this receptor that makes it anabolic.... when usually there are many factors at play..

Giants11 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It is def anti-catablic.....

And I'll show you why.
    "without your word you're a shell of a man" - Tupac

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

chest6 is offline Banned
    Anti-catabolic. I maintain strenght/LBM much better when using ephedrine than when not.

There are a few studies that point to ECA being anti-catabolic. Perhaps due to its partitioning effects:

Thermogenic, metabolic, and cardiovascular responses to ephedrine and caffeine in man.

Astrup A, Toubro S.

Research Department of Human Nutrition, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Copenhagen, Denmark.

To develop an appropriate combination of ephedrine and caffeine consisting of clinically relevant doses, we examined the acute thermogenic, metabolic, and cardiovascular effects of different doses of caffeine (C) and ephedrine (E) given separately and in combination to normal subjects. The thermogenic effect after E+C (20 mg/200mg) was larger than that of any other combinations, and E and C exerted a supra-additive synergism on thermogenesis and systolic blood pressure, while being without effect on diastolic blood pressure. The combination also had pronounced effects on glucose metabolism by increasing plasma glucose, insulin and C-peptide concentrations. During chronic treatment the effect of E+C on energy expenditure is maintained, while side effects subside because tolerance develops to its hemodynamic and metabolic effects. During dietary energy restriction E+C promotes fat loss and preserves fat-free mass, which may contribute to its chronic effect on energy balance. In conclusion, the hemodynamic and side effects to E+C are transient during chronic treatment, while the effect on energy expenditure persists. The compound also possesses repartitioning properties, which may be useful in the treatment of obesity

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

Safety and efficacy of long-term treatment with ephedrine, caffeine and an ephedrine/caffeine mixture.

Toubro S, Astrup AV, Breum L, Quaade F.

Research Department of Human Nutrition, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Fredriksberg, Copenhagen, Denmark.

In a randomized, placebo-controlled, double blind study, 180 obese patients were treated by diet (4.2 MJ/day) and either an ephedrine/caffeine combination (20mg/200mg), ephedrine (20mg), caffeine (200mg) or placebo 3 times a day for 24 weeks. 141 patients completed this part of the study. All medication was stopped between week 24-26 in order to catch any withdrawal symptoms. From week 26 to 50, 99 patients completed treatment with the ephedrine/caffeine compound in an open trial design, resulting in a statistically significant (p = 0.02) weight loss of 1.1kg. In another randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled 8 week study on obese subjects we found the mentioned compound showed lean body mass conserving properties. We conclude that the ephedrine/caffeine combination is effective in improving and maintaining weight loss, further it has lean body mass saving properties. The side effects are minor and transient and no withdrawal symptoms have been found

Effects of chronic administration of ephedrine during very-low-calorie diets on energy expenditure, protein metabolism and hormone levels in obese subjects.

Pasquali R, Casimirri F, Melchionda N, Grossi G, Bortoluzzi L, Morselli Labate AM, Stefanini C, Raitano A.

Istituto di Clinica Medica 1, Ospedale S. Orsola, University Alma Mater of Bologna, Italy.

1. We investigated the effects of the chronic administration of a sympathomimetic agent on energy expenditure, protein metabolism and levels of thyroid hormones and catecholamines in 10 obese subjects after a 6-week very-low-calorie-diet programme (1965 kJ, 60 g of protein, 45 g of carbohydrates). L-(-)-Ephedrine hydrochloride (50 mg three times a day by mouth) or placebo were administered during 2-week periods (weeks 2-5 of the VLCD programme) in a randomized, double-blind, cross-over design. Five subjects began with ephedrine and five with placebo. 2. The results were analysed separately in the two groups. No difference was found between them as regards weight loss during the very-low-calorie diet and drug treatments. Conversely, ephedrine therapy induced a significantly lower daily urinary excretion of nitrogen (and, consequently, a better nitrogen balance) with respect to placebo, independently of the drug sequence. Daily urinary levels of 3-methylhistidine during ephedrine and placebo treatments were similar. The fasting resting metabolic rate (oxygen consumption, ml STP/min) fell significantly during the very-low-calorie diet in both groups, but this effect was partially and significantly prevented by administration of ephedrine. Diet therapy significantly reduced 24 h urine levels of vanillylmandelic acid and homovanillic acid, which, however, increased to pretreatment values during ephedrine treatment. No significant effects were shown on 24 h urinary concentrations of adrenaline, noradrenaline and dopamine during the very-low-calorie diet and/or ephedrine treatment.

thanks giants - i knew i could rely on you

did u get my PM by the way?

No I didn't....Make sure to send it to my correct User....As I know have a slightly different one.

Thread Information