gregster is offline Junior Member

Unhappy HELP:bruised insulin injecting site

Can anyone help,
    I was in the tub when i noticed that an (insulin ) injection site had become serverely bruised. What the hell has happened? I always pull the plunger out slightly to check for blood.

Can anyone tell excatly what i've done to my stomach and how long the buising will remain.

Thanx

(sorry for the shitty spelling)

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    hey bro you have nuthing to worry about.i'm a daibetic and i get them sometimes. wit hthe small needles and insulin you dont have to pull back to check for blood.and how long it takes to go away depends on you and how fast you heal.But you didnt hurt anything not to worry.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator
    I second gixxerboy - if you're doing insulin , you don't have to aspirate the needle. Remember that insulin is injected subcutaneously (under the skin), not into deep muscle.

Two questions: First, what type of needle are you using (especially if you're doing other AS)? Remember, insulin needles are shorter and thinner than those that would be used for intramuscular injections. Obviously, if you're using a 22 g. 1-1/2" needle for insulin, you're defeating the purpose. (Yeah, I know that's an exaggeration, but ya never know . . .)

Also, are you using the same site too often? You should be alternating sites between abdoen and legs, and making sure that you're using the correct site. (Insulin injections are often given at the front of the leg rather than on the side, as is the case with an IM quad shot.) Also, it may be helpful to pinch the injection site (that is, grab some skin between two fingers about an inch apart) rather than injecting straight in. (Some people also suggest going in on an angle, but most professionals do not favor this.)

That will be the usual five cents, please . . .

Smile thanx

I'm glad to hear that i'm fine

Up until now i have been injecting into the fat in my stomach. Alternating between the left and right side of my naval ( as i heard that this is where it is absobed quickest).

Thanx for the help guys.

The needles i use are specifically for insulin (it states it on the packaging), dunno the exact details.

Good thinking i'll start changing sites

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

An Incidental Note . . .

Speaking of sites, remember that when you're doing insulin , you can also inject into your own arm. The trick is to lean against a wall so that the skin on your arm bunches together (as if you were pinching it on one side), then inject into the tricep area (but not the muscle itself, since you're using a short needle). (Remember, insulin shots are subcutaneous, not intramuscular, so you want to go a few inches below the delts. Since you don't have to aspirate for an insulin injection, you can do it one-handed.

(Thanks to dear-old-mom for that one, although her arm probably had a bit more body fat than most of us.)

That will be five cents, please . . .

pureanger is offline Senior Member
    32 guage 5/8ths thats the right size for no problems

Thread Information