Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb What sides worry you

...while on? Does acne worry you? Aggression? Suppression? Altered chem profile? Hypertension? Infections? Body hair? Hair loss? etc, etc

A lot of us understand that for every potential side effect of AAS, there are means by which they can be minimized/avoided. I think that we could put together a constructive thread that would lead to a lot of insight on these issues. Then compile all the info into one informative read

Let's get a little imput from everyone here on this

Demon Deacon is offline Anabolic Member
    Hair loss frightens me. Minimized/avoided by finasteride

SKiN is offline Member
    Acne, Infection, liver damage, and Hair loss mostly besides the obvious serious
    ones....

heh btw.... "iNput"

1-Cent is offline Anabolic Member
    Hairloss is the only side that scares me

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Hair Loss / Bodyhair Gain always scare me.... and the same goes for Acne. 3 things I worry about the most when it comes to AAS usage.

<<LMO>>

KeyMastur is offline VET
    my hairloss and my balls

SKiN is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    my hairloss and my balls
    Ya i really hate swinging these little balls around....

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    I'm scared i'll get so horney, i'll bang a fat chick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Deacon
    and here is the begining of a great thread Yellowjacket put together :

Ok, due to the interest in this topic and the number of questions I get, Ill be tracking my battle against losing my hair. This will be an excellent reference thread, packed with info. I promise you.

Here's my story

Im 24 years old (almost 25) and Im surrounded by bald men in my family. Since the baldness is acquired primarily from your mother's side, I took a look at the men from her side... my uncle who's mid 40's is long past bald, and my grandpa, although deceased, was bald in his early 30's. The big one is my brother, who's 19 months older than I am and he's about 75% bald.

Phase 1: Realization

For some reason I was nieve enough to not thing I would lose my hair. My barber (who knew my grandmother) always told me my hair was too **** thick to cut once it grew out.... although I now see my brother on a weekly basis and I see him without his hair (he began losing it in high school) and he just doesnt care. Never thought it would happen to me.
    *I first noticed shedding after showers, which is the common place to observe it. Didnt think nothing of it.... then my girlfriend would run her hands through my hair and get 3-4 hairs and make fun of me, still didnt bother me. Oneday after telling my barber to cut my hair kind of short (team I was conditioning started outdoor practices, didnt want to get hot) and he did as directed. I went home to wash my hair and almost **** a brick. My hairline was fasing back quickly and my bangs were thinning dramatically. Now remember, I have thick blondish-brown hair and never even paid attention to hairloss.......

Phase 2: Prelude to the battle

At this point, I began to read up on hairloss (MPB & androgen related). I knew only a fraction of whats out there. My hairloss wasnt bad enough that I needed Propecia right away, so I figured I could calm it with some OTC Polysorbate 60 shampoo. I began using this shampoo every other day with my regular shampoo and didnt like the greasy feeling it left. I dont think this actually helped but I think its good for cosmetic reasons because it makes your hair appear thicker than it really is. I stopped scrubbing my hair real hard after showers as well. I also stopped rubbing my hands through my hair so much, anything I could do.

Phase 3: Dealing with Depression

Some people like being bald, some people look good bald, I dont and I dont like it in the least. All I was told was "use a BIC", "Shave it". To which I promply responsed with "**** you raisin head". Im 24 years old and I do not want to be bald, simple as that. They make hairloss prevention products for a reason, not everyone wants to go bald in their 20's. And to whomever is following this journal, dont listen to people who tell you to just shave it, theres a myriad of products to slow, stop and even help regrow hair out there, it can be done.
    Male alopecia (baldness) has several stages of depression I think. The first is a little panic, the "what am I going to do stage?". This is where you need to relax. 9 times out of 10 you're the only one who notices any shedding. Then you have the "Spend $100 on random products" phase. Again, relax. Read about male pattern baldness and choose products that work. Im going to be real honest with you, fighting hairloss isnt cheap, we'll get to that later. Next you have the stage in which you no longer notice females (or males if you're into that) you begin starring at every man's hairline. If you do this, you'll notice A LOT of men who are losing or who have lost their hair. You're not alone brother. The final stage is the stage in which you want to give up. You learn how expensive it is to fight it and you begin picturing yourself being bald and debate whether or not to shave it, but your hands just wont let you do it.........

Phase 4: Becoming Educated

If you'll notice, I have been posting several hairloss related links & articles lately. This is for a reason. I sit around at work most days and read up on hairloss, causes and preventions. Take it upon yourself (before you see a doctor) to educate yourself about hairloss. So if and when you see your doctor, you can carry an intelligent conversation about it with him. You make his job easier and you give yourself a better chance of scoring some Propecia. The more you understand about the topic, the more educated decisions you can make and the less depressed or down you will feel about losing hair. This is great motivation. Read other people's stories, read about products, before you know it, you'll be ready to go to war against your hairloss!

Phase 5: Declare War- What Hairloss is Packin'

Why am I losing my hair? Most would say "who gives a ****? all I know is Im losing it". Careful, different products work based on why you are losing your hair. Dihydrotestosterone or DHT is our Al Queda. This is what we want to destroy. To make it short and sweet, testosterone converts to DHT via the 5-alpha reductase. The 5-AR is the conversion enzyme. So why not destroy that enzyme and all hairloss ceases, right? You wish. Its not that easy. Look on the bright side, if you're castrated and not taking in androgens from the outside (ie. steroids ) you wont have a problem. The DHT will cause an early onset of exfoliation. If you have an excess of the 5-AR enzyme, look out.... in short, the DHT causes changes in the hair follicle, resulting in an auto-immune response attack on the hair. So basically, DHT signals your body's immune system to attack and destroy your own hair! So now we have to fight hairloss in 2 ways ****it. From the DHT conversion area and the inflammation area. So if you're prone to male pattern baldness it sucks, add in some anabolic steroids and it really speeds up the rate in which you lose your hair. So that poster in your high school health class is correct in a sense when it tells you steroids will cause hairloss. Certain medications can cause hairloss, as well as thyroid or hormone abnormalities and all these should be taken into consideration. Im more concerned with the male pattern baldness/DHT related hairloss.

Phase 6: Your Arsenal

Ahhh, the moment you've all been waiting for. The weapons you will have at your disposal to kick hairloss' ass. First lets go over some over-the-counter goods.

Rogaine (Minoxidil) I wouldnt buy Rogaine to be honest with you and if you do, buy the Wlamart version for much cheaper. Minoxidil is the active ingredient in Rogaine and is really what we're after. Rogaine will generally last you 1 month and is not cheap. So here's a shameless plug for www.wholesalehairproducts.com and our good friend Nizoralman. Niz carries the same size bottles of pure Minoxidil for about $8. Minoxidil is a decent product in stopping hairloss. Its advertised as a hair re-grower and for some it does, but you must be realistic about your hairloss, its worth the money spent on it, but dont expect a miracle, that guy on the commercial you saw was very lucky (and using more than Rogaine Im sure).

Nizoral Shampoo You'll notice this product is now sold over the counter for severe dandruff. Well it can be beneficial to us future bald guys of America as well. The 1% can be found at Walgreens, Walmart, etc. You can go to the website above and get the prescription strength 2% if you wish. Nizoral shampoo is an anti-fungal shampoo and has an active ingredient Ketoconazol (I know you dont care, you just want to know what its going to do for you) but there is no true evidence of how Nizoral works against baldness. It could block DHT or be sort of an anti-inflammatory. To be totally blunt with you, Im not real worried about how it works, only that it does. Some see it as the holy grail of stopping hairloss and thats enough for me. The pricetag could be better on this, but then again, you could be bald.

Folligen Folligen is a copper binding peptide (exciting aye?) Bascially copper binding peptides have an anti-inflammatory property that can be very beneficial in the battle against baldness.

Spironolactone Cream- Spiro is a topica anti-androgen cream and although some think the jury is still out on it, I have never heard of a negative review of Spiro. Great to use when on cycle.

Nioxin- This is basically a shampoo that creates a good growing enviroment for your hair.

Azelaic Acid- This another topical thats said to inhibit the 5-AR and is also said to be anti-microbial. This is also effect when on cycle.

Vitamins & Minerals- As basic as it comes. Things like vitamin A and zinc are said to aid in stopping hairloss and creating a clean enviroment for regrowth. Another reason to take your multi.

Other products Here is a list of other products you can look into: Inner Shampoo, Retinoic Acid, Emu Oil, Biotin & polysorbate 80 shampoo.

Now we arrive to the prescription 'shock and awe' approach to fighting hairloss and only one product comes to mind... Propecia. Propecia/Proscar (known as Proscar in 5mg version) was originally given to battle prostate enlargement, but studies have shown Propecia shrinks the over-all amount of free DHT. Propecia is a serious step, maybe the most effective in stopping and even re-growing hair, but it comes with its sides. The sides are said to be found it only 2% of users, but most say and I agree that its much higher. This is a decision you must make after careful thought. I opted to being Propecia after reading about it until my eyes bled.

Phase 7: The final phase- Patience

We have discussed very briefly what causes hairloss and what to do about it. This is a very general guideline, but good enough for me. Now we come to the most difficult part of the war... patience. The only thing I can say and be 100% sure about in your hairloss is its not going to happen overnight. You know, Ill go out on a limb and say it wont happen in a week, or even a month. But I can say the quicker you realize you are losing your hair and the quicker you begin to take action, the better the chance you have of stopping and even re-growing your lost hair. Products like Propecia and Minoxidil take time. Months and months. Be ready for some heavy shedding while on these products, but DONT QUIT USING THEM! This is a normal occurance. Your hair growth cycle is sped up and and will lose hair before you grow some back, this is naturally, dont quit using your products. In the mean time, pray to the hair gods for us all. Now for some honesty.... you can use all of the above products and not see any delay or regrowth of hair. Thats life. What works for me, might not work for you. Its not a sure thing, because you use these things doesnt mean you will regrow or even stop hairloss. Set a realistic goal. If you're young and have only lost a little hair, you may grow some back, but let's face it, if you're in your late 30's and lost most of the hair on top, dont set a goal to regrow it all back, its not going to happen. So set a small, achievable goal, so when you reach it, its great motivation. Have some patience and know what you're getting youself into. Fighting hairloss isnt cheap and its not a sure thing, but Im not going to sit around and watch my hair fall out.......

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Blood pressure is my only concern.I don't get acne,and I'm not subject to MPB.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    And how do you personally handle your bp? Diet - low sodium, or dairy... or through meds? you just stay away from AAS prone to adema/bloat? Up your anti-es, what?

Blog Entries

still like this read from excess (long ago)

Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    .... and the same goes for Acne. 3 things I worry about the most when it comes to AAS usage.

<<LMO>>
    This stuff has been said before, but I thought I’d put it in one post and expand it a bit. Some of the info was stuff I learned by reading posts on this board, so props to anyone that has posted this before.

ACNE TREATMENTS

Tanning Bed
    Ultraviolet rays dry excess skin oil very effectively. Best results when used without dark-tanning lotions. Shower after use and apply an aloe-based lotion to noticibly oily areas. Avoid UV exposure while using medications that cause photosensitivity.

Swimming Pool
    Chlorine dries skin oil and reduces bacteria. Shower immediately afterwards and apply an aloe-based lotion to reduce oil production.

Panthotenic Acid (Vitamin B5)
    Large doses of panthotenic acid have proven to reduce acne. Take 2500 mg four (4) times a day (last dose at bedtime) until acne is under control, and then 1500 mg three (3) times a day for maintenance. Also available as a cream which should be applied 4-6 times a day.

Benzoyl Peroxide
    Benzoyl peroxide slowly releases oxygen, which has an antibacterial effect. It also causes peeling and drying of skin, which helps to eliminate blackheads and whiteheads. First, wash the affected area of skin with medicated soap and water. Pat dry gently with a towel. Apply enough medicine to cover the affected area and rub in gently once or twice a day. If you have a fair complexion, start with a single daily application at bedtime. Keep the medicine away from eyes, nose, and mouth. Results are noticable in 1 to several weeks. Side effects: burning, itching, scaling, swelling, or redness. Allergic reactions are not uncommon. Common brands: Clearasil, Noxzema, Oxy, PanOxyl.

Isotretinoin (Accutane) - prescription
    Isotretinoin is a powerful drug used in the treatment of acne. Isotretinoin decreases the amount of oil produced by the skin's sebaceous (oil) glands. Four to five months of isotretinoin treatment usually leads to clearing of acne for one year or more after the medicine is stopped. Most other acne-controlling medicines are antibacterial agents, which are effective only if the medicine is used daily. Side effects (in order of percent reported): chapped lips, dry skin, mild nosebleeds, eye irritation, joint and muscle pains, temporary hair thinning, rash, intestinal symptoms, urinary symptoms, headache, decreased night vision, depression. Regular blood tests are necessary when you are taking isotretinoin because it can be hard on the liver. Women should not take Isotretinoin while pregnant, and should avoid becoming pregnant while using it. Isotretinoin can cause photosensitivity.

Retin-A - prescription
    Unlike many over-the-counter acne treatments, Retin-A has the ability to get beneath the surface of your skin and work where acne begins. Retin-A loosens and expels acne plugs in the skin and prevents new lesions from forming. Apply before bed, about 30 minutes after washing the skin. Side effects: dryness, peeling, redness. Retin-A can cause photosensitivity.

WARNING: Do some extra research on the side effects before starting any of these treatments. I don’t want to be responsible for any medical condition caused by misuse.

Roadisafunnyword is offline Junior Member
    Personally Im way more worried about mental sides then physical ones!

Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette
    And how do you personally handle your bp? Diet - low sodium, or dairy... or through meds? you just stay away from AAS prone to adema/bloat? Up your anti-es, what?
    I try to handle it through diet and anti's,but if that fails,my doc will put me on some meds.I usually only have high bp when running a bulk cycle.That's mostly due to water retention from deca ,dbol ect.When on cutting cycles,diet and anti's seem to work fine for me.

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    This stuff has been said before, but I thought I’d put it in one post and expand it a bit. Some of the info was stuff I learned by reading posts on this board, so props to anyone that has posted this before.

ACNE TREATMENTS

Tanning Bed
    Ultraviolet rays dry excess skin oil very effectively. Best results when used without dark-tanning lotions. Shower after use and apply an aloe-based lotion to noticibly oily areas. Avoid UV exposure while using medications that cause photosensitivity.

Swimming Pool
    Chlorine dries skin oil and reduces bacteria. Shower immediately afterwards and apply an aloe-based lotion to reduce oil production.

Panthotenic Acid (Vitamin B5)
    Large doses of panthotenic acid have proven to reduce acne. Take 2500 mg four (4) times a day (last dose at bedtime) until acne is under control, and then 1500 mg three (3) times a day for maintenance. Also available as a cream which should be applied 4-6 times a day.

Benzoyl Peroxide
    Benzoyl peroxide slowly releases oxygen, which has an antibacterial effect. It also causes peeling and drying of skin, which helps to eliminate blackheads and whiteheads. First, wash the affected area of skin with medicated soap and water. Pat dry gently with a towel. Apply enough medicine to cover the affected area and rub in gently once or twice a day. If you have a fair complexion, start with a single daily application at bedtime. Keep the medicine away from eyes, nose, and mouth. Results are noticable in 1 to several weeks. Side effects: burning, itching, scaling, swelling, or redness. Allergic reactions are not uncommon. Common brands: Clearasil, Noxzema, Oxy, PanOxyl.

Isotretinoin (Accutane) - prescription
    Isotretinoin is a powerful drug used in the treatment of acne. Isotretinoin decreases the amount of oil produced by the skin's sebaceous (oil) glands. Four to five months of isotretinoin treatment usually leads to clearing of acne for one year or more after the medicine is stopped. Most other acne-controlling medicines are antibacterial agents, which are effective only if the medicine is used daily. Side effects (in order of percent reported): chapped lips, dry skin, mild nosebleeds, eye irritation, joint and muscle pains, temporary hair thinning, rash, intestinal symptoms, urinary symptoms, headache, decreased night vision, depression. Regular blood tests are necessary when you are taking isotretinoin because it can be hard on the liver. Women should not take Isotretinoin while pregnant, and should avoid becoming pregnant while using it. Isotretinoin can cause photosensitivity.

Retin-A - prescription
    Unlike many over-the-counter acne treatments, Retin-A has the ability to get beneath the surface of your skin and work where acne begins. Retin-A loosens and expels acne plugs in the skin and prevents new lesions from forming. Apply before bed, about 30 minutes after washing the skin. Side effects: dryness, peeling, redness. Retin-A can cause photosensitivity.

WARNING: Do some extra research on the side effects before starting any of these treatments. I don’t want to be responsible for any medical condition caused by misuse.

Yup...I follow that post and it does help.

Too bad hair loss / body hair are a little more tricky to deal with. Although I am Italian and I don't really think it is possible for me to grow more body hair than I already have lol.

<<LMO>>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadisafunnyword
    Personally Im way more worried about mental sides then physical ones!
    You definately arent alone! What have been your experiences?
    Aggression? sleep probs? arrogance? being lame as lordblitz on pct? Do share

And yes, im having fun playing Dr. Phil

And yes, im having fun playing Dr. Phil
    This thread suddenly sounds ghey with that last line.

None of the superficial crap worries me. Keeping lipids in a decent range & bp. pretty much all sides are counterable. The ones I mentioned are a little trickier, because they take more to keep track of.....a home digital bp monitor helps a lot, but bloodwork is a must IMO.

I think this thread has lots of potential....it could (or a separate thread) be a list of all common sides and then all of the known countermeasures, of which there are many.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by einstein1905
    I think this thread has lots of potential....it could (or a separate thread) be a list of all common sides and then all of the known countermeasures, of which there are many.
    Yeah, this is what i am getting at. A good compliation thread about sides and ways to manipulate them could be a quality read.

Mr. Sparkle is offline Slinabolic Vet / Retired
    Blood pressure.... and one day not being able to have kids, or is that a myth?
    Im buying a BP monitor this week, for some odd reason I really really worry about it... I have no reason too that I am aware of.

Mr. Sparkle is offline Slinabolic Vet / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by einstein1905
    None of the superficial crap worries me. Keeping lipids in a decent range & bp. pretty much all sides are counterable. The ones I mentioned are a little trickier, because they take more to keep track of.....a home digital bp monitor helps a lot, but bloodwork is a must IMO.

I agree as well!

Demon Deacon is offline Anabolic Member
    I try to handle it through diet and anti's,but if that fails,my doc will put me on some meds.I usually only have high bp when running a bulk cycle.That's mostly due to water retention from deca,dbol ect.When on cutting cycles,diet and anti's seem to work fine for me.
    To lower blood pressure measures my doc recommends are lowering intake of salt, excercising at least 4 times a week, eliminating alcohol from your diet and eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    ive gotten through two cycles without any hair thinning at all and dont have family history of baldness.
    i was always wondering if it could somehow catch up to me or am i just one of the lucky ones?

i get bad friggin acne while on sucks pretty bad and gyno prone got a little nugget under each nipple so estro scares the crap outa me.

worldknown is offline Banned
    acne, and my boys. hairloss well im an italian what more do i need to say.

dive_kid is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm scared of bitch tits

millionmillionaires is offline Associate Member
    Priapisms

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member
    hairloss, gyno, and lately aggression. I'm normally a short tempered guy but it just makes it worse. Havent snapped on a person or in front of anyone yet but the funny part is I happen to start to get really pissed before I hit the gym and I have such good workouts because of it. I leave in a much better mood

UrbanDawg is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Deacon
    me too on hairloss - and now that im a about to take Halo i think about my liver and kidneys

Aboot is offline Banned
    Screw the superficial crap. Gyno, liver and suppression is all I care about.

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Increased masterbation worrys me, I am concerned that by squeezing it all the time it will maybe make it smaller.

No really I dont see any bad side effects except acne,aggression,high blood pressure/increased heart rate. None of my hair falls out actually I wish it would then I wouldnt have to shave it all the time. And I dont think I could grow anymore hair on my body. I would be a poster boy for lazer hair removal.

something that I have heard others experiancing with their nuts aching or prostate swelling. If that ever happened to me I would discontinue use of steroids untill I could figure out how to solve that kind of problem. I know you can take supplements for your prostate. But what do you do about the balls hurting??????????

m16a2 is offline Senior Member
    The only side that really bothers me is BP. I went as high as 179/90 while on cycle. It worries me and it interferes with most daily activities in some way. Nolva/Ldex have effectively gotten this under control. I will never do another cycle with nolva/ldex.

map200uk is offline Anabolic Member
    the only side i really worry about is hairloss, not sure if im prone to it yet, guess ill know soon

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    only gyno

mass junkie is offline banned
    same here

Phyll is offline Associate Member
    hair loss... this problem just made me drop my cycle my hair is falling out like crazy, lots of it, very scary ****

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Getting Titties!!!

fitnessNY is offline Senior Member
    hair loss- taking propecia
    acne - only during pct and depression during pct

TPAK is offline Associate Member
    Gyno, body hair and MPB. Great thread by the way.

gio86 is offline Member
    hair loss
    and does anyone think taking 250 -500 of sust a week is really bad for hair problems?
    or should i be worried about it if i was taking like 1000 a week????

Phyll is offline Associate Member
    bro that's really up to your body, but that amount of test is enough to make you lose hair if you're prone to it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information