DragRacer is offline New Member

Too much protein??

I read an article that said...

"Can you eat too much protein? This group also found that protein intakes above 2.62 grams per kg of bodyweight (214 grams for a 180lb male) provided no additional benefit in terms of nitrogen balance and increased the risk of renal overload and dehydration. Long term studies of large groups show that a high protein/low carbohydrate diet increases the risk of kidney stones and bone loss. These findings were substantiated by a University of Texas study of 10 volunteers on a high protein/low carbohydrte diet for two weeks. Blood uric acid levels (uric acid is a major cause of kidney stones) rose 90% and urinary levels of citrate (which inhibits kidney stone formation) dropped 25%. And finally, any extra protein Calories (beyond what you are expending per day) are stored as fat, not muscle."

I always hear of people eating AS MUCH protein as they can. This article seems like that isn't a good thing. So what is true? Should you eat tons and tons of protein until you can't flush the toilet? orrrr, keep protein at a low but normal level. A few chicken breasts a day, tuna fish, egg whites and a shake here and there?

Darkness is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DragRacer

"Can you eat too much protein?
    Yes you can, you can damage your liver, your piss is going to smell real bad, bad breath, things like that. Had to hear it from 2 docs once!

timvds is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DragRacer
    orrrr, keep protein at a low but normal level. A few chicken breasts a day, tuna fish, egg whites and a shake here and there?
    That would be about 200 grams of protien right there.

Where did you get that article?

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    I don't know but I like some experts to answer come on Giantz you know your shite.

well the link didnt completely work but u can copy and paste

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Its even possible to drink to much water, no joke. I dont think you will have problems with protein tho bro (unless you go out of your way to hurt yourself).

timvds is offline Member
    Okay, I read the article. It states that a 180lb man should ingest no more than 214 grams of protien. Sure. If you are off cycle that may suffice. That article is also geared towards biking in general. Bikers would have to take in quite a few carbs in thier calorie intake to be able to go the distance while biking. Not quite the case for a body builder.

Most AAS increases protien synthesis which would allow taking in twice your bodyweight in grams of protien.

Im not saying that everyone on this board is on AAS.

Powerliftmike is right though, there are dangers to taking in too much of anything, water ect.

Jakspro is offline Member
    Well... How much is too much??

timvds is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakspro
    Well... How much is too much??
    There would be many factors contributing to that. Bodyweight, calorie intake, how much carbs you are consuming along with the protien. How much energy you are exerting Ect...

mranak is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness
    Yes you can, you can damage your liver
    You mean your kidneys?

The medical community just doesn't know a whole lot about high protein intake. A healthy guy can take in 300 grams of protein/day without any negative health impact. This has been demonstrated with the many thousands of lifters that take in 300-500grams of protein/day.

Lunacy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mranak
    You mean your kidneys?

The medical community just doesn't know a whole lot about high protein intake. A healthy guy can take in 300 grams of protein/day without any negative health impact. This has been demonstrated with the many thousands of lifters that take in 300-500grams of protein/day.
    Agree. Havent read the article, but they are not talking about bodybuilders whose bodies are constantly breaking down muscle and building them back up, thus they will need much more protein then the average man.

ouchthathurts is offline Junior Member
    Last edited by ouchthathurts; 04-14-2007 at 11:38 AM.

TCEL300 is offline Member
    i try to aim for 250-300 a day...i see gains with the amount..i have tried to go higher but honestly i felt like it was turning to fat..which i later found out was true too much protein will turn to fat...also i have heard of people dieing from 2 much water...some runners have

Thread Information