Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By goose

Thread: Workout Frequency While On A Steroid Cycle?

ripit25 is offline New Member

Workout Frequency While On A Steroid Cycle?

I was wondering if it was O.K to work muscle groups more than once a week while on a cycle, especially large ones like chest?

How do peoples workouts vary when they are on? Do you keep your routine the same and just lift with greater intensity (more exercises per muscle, lifting to failure, shorter breaks in between sets).

I know you tend to recover faster while on but I don't want to risk overtraining.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    This is a hard question to answer,

everybody is different and if they know their own bodys they know exactly what they have to do to produce new muscle tissue, some bb's do 2 body parts a week some do 1,

with experience you will know how you own body responds and work with that and not what other BB's are doing.

Bigmax is offline Retired VET~ If you dont know... ask me
    Ye sir when it comes down to training there is much more involved then just you cycle bro.Of course you'r nutrition and to be on and you have to see what else is invoved with you lifestlye and daily stresses....and as marcus stated its individual....i thinks its more for you to see what works for you and paying close attention to how your body responds and makes progress.

dragon69 is offline Member
    excellent question that is rarely asked .......and you nailed it.....your recovery is much much better, so utilize that by training more frequently.

Most people do not utilize their gear by altering training to come into line with recovery ability and therefore are wasting their money. Also is why people tend to use more and more gear as time goes on.

Train like say 3x as hard and more frequently to get the most from it.....unless you're already chronically overtained, then just keep it like that.

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    Personally i keep my workouts the same. maybe a little more emphasis on lagging areas but each person is different. find out what works for you.

goose is offline Banned
    Well it took me years to understand less is more,I follow the philosophy of high intensity,I mean real high.Why does a muscle grow? Because it has to adapt. When does it have to adapt? When you expose it to something that it has not done before. When is something that it has not done before? When the muscle is taxed 100%. That's 100% effort. What's 100% effort? When you train to 100% PHYSICAL, not mental failure. So, to make the muscle grow, you have to train with 100% effort otherwise, the muscle will not adapt/grow.
    Now, using the above logic, for a set to be beneficial to your growth, it needs to be 100% effort. So, a 100% effort set of an exercise, will make you grow. Then, what is the point to do a second set of that exercise? You cannot go more than 100%. The muscle already has been taxed by 100% from the first set, so why should you do a second one? You will just eat into your recovery ability. So, you should only do one set to failure per exercise. Later on, I will describe the training program and how exercises and warm-ups are involved.

A muscle will not grow until it's recovered. The muscle will not begin to recover until the nervous system is Recovered. It takes roughly 24hours for the nervous system to recover from a workout. Only then will the muscle begin to recover and grow. So, you should never train 2 days in a row. Even if you train different bodyparts, you still use the same nervous system. You train 2 days in a row, your nervous system recovers, but by the time the muscles begin to, you train again, so the body has to concentrate again on recovering the nervous system.
    A training frequency of 3 days per week (Mon, Wed, Fri) is more than enough. Numerous pros, including myself, train like this offseason for maximum growth. Even if you use streroids, you still have to train like this. Steroids increase your recovery ability, but they also make you stronger at a quicker rate. The extra strength will give you the ability to train harder/tear more muscle tissue, so you will need the extra recovery that the steroids will give you
    Rkinney2004 likes this.

vitor is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goose4
    Well it took me years to understand less is more,I follow the philosophy of high intensity,I mean real high.Why does a muscle grow? Because it has to adapt. When does it have to adapt? When you expose it to something that it has not done before. When is something that it has not done before? When the muscle is taxed 100%. That's 100% effort. What's 100% effort? When you train to 100% PHYSICAL, not mental failure. So, to make the muscle grow, you have to train with 100% effort otherwise, the muscle will not adapt/grow.
    Now, using the above logic, for a set to be beneficial to your growth, it needs to be 100% effort. So, a 100% effort set of an exercise, will make you grow. Then, what is the point to do a second set of that exercise? You cannot go more than 100%. The muscle already has been taxed by 100% from the first set, so why should you do a second one? You will just eat into your recovery ability. So, you should only do one set to failure per exercise. Later on, I will describe the training program and how exercises and warm-ups are involved.

A muscle will not grow until it's recovered. The muscle will not begin to recover until the nervous system is Recovered. It takes roughly 24hours for the nervous system to recover from a workout. Only then will the muscle begin to recover and grow. So, you should never train 2 days in a row. Even if you train different bodyparts, you still use the same nervous system. You train 2 days in a row, your nervous system recovers, but by the time the muscles begin to, you train again, so the body has to concentrate again on recovering the nervous system.
    A training frequency of 3 days per week (Mon, Wed, Fri) is more than enough. Numerous pros, including myself, train like this offseason for maximum growth. Even if you use streroids, you still have to train like this. Steroids increase your recovery ability, but they also make you stronger at a quicker rate. The extra strength will give you the ability to train harder/tear more muscle tissue, so you will need the extra recovery that the steroids will give you
    Was this your words, or a quote from Dorien Yates or Mike mentzer?

Do you follow the "Heavy Duty" princible, only one set per exersize?

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test

same split Im on. Lil more sets though.

DDDNTZ is offline Associate Member

That is exactly what I am coming to realize in the last few months. I have been training less frequently and with heavier weight(god I love test,tren ,eq)and I have noticed a huge difference in my gains from the last cycle. Try to keep in mind that you grow when you rest.

Moe-mentum is offline Banned
    It has actually evolved and branched off from the area of medical science known as Stress Physiology.
    How the body adapts reacts to stress.

There are 7 known principles:
    #1- Intensity
    #2- Volume
    #3- Frequency
    #4- S.A.I.D. (Specific Adaption to Imposed Demands)
    #5- Point of dimishing returns
    #6- Overload
    #7- Individualism

DDDNTZ is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe-mentum
    It has actually evolved and branched off from the area of medical science known as Stress Physiology.
    How the body adapts reacts to stress.

There are 7 known principles:
    #1- Intensity
    #2- Volume
    #3- Frequency
    #4- S.A.I.D. (Specific Adaption to Imposed Demands)
    #5- Point of dimishing returns
    #6- Overload
    #7- Individualism

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i train the exact same on and off...
    u grow OUTSIDE THE GYM.. not in it

Taurus is offline Member
    most of my life i have used this policy (one day on one day off). about 6 months ago i tried something new by training more often. but i came to realise that my previous training routine worked best for me...so i reverted back and feel so much better. so even when on cycle, i train the same, just lift heavier on the compound excercises.

arun79 is offline New Member
    Ok..agree abt 1 day OFF and on day ON. Is this include cardio? I used to do Abs work out on my OFF days, is this ok?

little_soldier is offline Junior Member
    train the way that you think is going to be best for you , you need to be mentally and physcally comfortable with your routine to hel make your gains , your mind will control you and you will keep asking yourself am i less trianing and you will be afriad to lose mass and lots of thinking will make you loose mass loool this is my opinion and i;m sure everyone will tell me that i'm wrong , mostly u will know what is best for your body and when i'm on cycle i train the muscle twice a week and it worked very good for me but i reduce volume and taek rest and sometimes i used to alternate meaning that i do in 1 week the muscle twice and then the week after i do it just once

yom
    yom is offline Associate Member
    i used to do a 6 day split and repeat
    now i just do a 4 day split and repeat no day off but recover well. ps -all i do currently is eat , sleep ,train , unemployed

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test

when you have a chance, it would be great if you could go into a little further deatil about that type of split.

TheSentinal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon69
    excellent question that is rarely asked .......and you nailed it.....your recovery is much much better, so utilize that by training more frequently.

Most people do not utilize their gear by altering training to come into line with recovery ability and therefore are wasting their money. Also is why people tend to use more and more gear as time goes on.

Train like say 3x as hard and more frequently to get the most from it.....unless you're already chronically overtained, then just keep it like that.
    I agree - everything I have read suggests stepping up your training to reflect the greater recuperative abilities of the body while on steroids . While on, I work out more to maximize gains - however I rest when my body tells to do so.

Just a short interjection here, a very important gauge to use with regards to your training frequency can be aligned with whether or not you are making continual strength gains.
    If your strength is going up, even by a single rep(hopefully more when on gear) then that means positive adaptions are taking place and that you are not in a state of over training.

Using this as a guage, if you were only training 3 times per week, you could experiment with training 4 times per week.
    If your strength levels continue to increase from workout to workout, you could bump it up to 5 days a week and so on.

As long as there are strength increases being made the body is shaowing signs of positive adaptions, meaning recovery is taking place between workouts.
    If however gains in strength cease, and provided you are training with enough intensity and consuming adequate nutrition, your body is no longer able to keep up with the demands imposed upon it and will need more time between worlouts.
    So if gains stopped on a 6 day a week program, drop it to 5, still nothing, down to 4 and so on.
    Personaly I train with a 3 day split.
    However, I have just started my first cycle, and I may bump it up to 4 days per week if energy levels and dramatic strength increases are noticed.

This is only a guide line but gives one a point of reference.

peteroy01 is offline Senior Member
    what do ur training splits look like if ur only working out every other day or 3times per week. if only 3 times per week it seems u would spend hrs in the gym at a time. call me a lazy lifter but i like to be out of the gym in under an hr.

Not sure who your asking but my typical 3 day split is
    Mon- Chest, Shoulders, Triceps *30-35 minutes
    Wed-Back, Biceps *35-45minutes
    Fri- Legs (Quads, Hams, and Calves) *40-45 minutes

One set to failure on all exercises not including warmups.
    For me, because shoulders are a priority and my chest grows very easily, I begin with shoulders in my workout, followed by chest, then tris.
    Same with legs, calves at one time were a lagging body part so were put into priority and have stayed there.
    Shoulders-
    Dbell Seated Presses
    Hammer latteral machine
    Dbell rear delt raises

Chest-
    Incline Dbell Flyes

Triceps-
    Cable pushdowns

Back-
    Shrugs (on Hammer Deadlift)
    Hammer Rows
    Hammer Pulldowns
    Weighted Lower Back Extentions

Biceps-
    Hammer Curls Machine or Hammer single curls

Calves-
    Seated raises
    Calf raises on Leg press

Quads-
    Squats
    Leg Extentions

Hams
    Hammer single leg curls

And I do abs on Back day
    One set of knee raises and one set of crunches.

For me it doesn't get too much more simple than that.

If I was to bump it up, I may go up to 4 days a week, training Mon,Tues, Thurs and Fridays.
    Mon- C,S,& T
    Tues-B&B
    Wed-off
    Thurs- Legs
    Fri-C,S,& T
    SAT&SUN- off

Mon-B&B
    Tues-Legs
    Wed-off
    etc.

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    So far I've found that as a powerlifter, I can take a tremendous beating while on. Recover speeds up, and the amount of beating you can take increases. I know that in recovery while on, you get better use out of yuor food in terms of building blocks. With incresed test levels puts off the body's catabolic response. I am pretty sure that after 45-50 minutes of lifting the body begins to dump cortisol (I think that's what it is called) into the mix. When that happens the amount of positive effect lifting has diminishes and a little while later, further lifting will actually hurt progress. I read this a couple of months ago in Powerlifting USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Velkar182
    So far I've found that as a powerlifter, I can take a tremendous beating while on. Recover speeds up, and the amount of beating you can take increases. I know that in recovery while on, you get better use out of yuor food in terms of building blocks. With incresed test levels puts off the body's catabolic response. I am pretty sure that after 45-50 minutes of lifting the body begins to dump cortisol (I think that's what it is called) into the mix. When that happens the amount of positive effect lifting has diminishes and a little while later, further lifting will actually hurt progress. I read this a couple of months ago in Powerlifting USA.
    I believe you are correct sir.

Daddy Fatsacks is offline Associate Member

i wish my workout partner felt this way. i've been trying get him to do the eight day split i saw a few days ago. he feels like he's not doing enough with the low reps.

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    So the point is that I know it works for powerlifting, but body building...I am not sure. I remember Arnold's workouts involved double workout split (prolly only on dbol ) for detailing of muscles. For actual mass you could probably get away with it for a while, but require extra off time after a couple of weeks. I did bulgarian style strentgh training hitting some muscles 3-4 times a week. It worked for me, but you are not me. I did need extended time off after 3 or 4 weeks. So, try some things, (not as dramatic) and see how you respond. There is never a problem with backing her down a notch after flying out of the gates. See how your body responds.

Thread Information