gymrat12345 is offline Associate Member

Massaging Injection - VETS

I have read on many boards and articles about the misconception of massaging fresh oil injections. VETS WHAT DO YOU THINK...AGREE/DISAGREE?

ANYWAYS HERE'S THE THEORY:

DO NOT MASSAGE FRESH OIL INJECTIONS!

massaging the area of a shot immediately afterwards WILL drive the depot out of the area into places you don't want it. increasing the chance that you will develop pain or an abcess.

what you can do is use pressure if you need to stop bleeding, but never rub it. the z track method will usually make it so you don't need compression to stem the blood flow.

the only time you should be applying heat is if the depot has crashed and you're sure of that. if it's an abcess using heat will only make it worse, use ice and get it drained asap, also take a broad spectrum antibiotic. sepsis is not a laughing matter.

LatinoPR is offline Anabolic Member
    Hmmmmm...i don't see diferense, maybe is true or maybe is B/S...how knows.

Mike Dura is offline Senior Member
    I hear that you massage after an injection. That's what I do and it seems to be less painful. But then again, it might be something else (e.g., location).
    Quote Originally Posted by gymrat12345
    I have read on many boards and articles about the misconception of massaging fresh oil injections. VETS WHAT DO YOU THINK...AGREE/DISAGREE?

ANYWAYS HERE'S THE THEORY:

DO NOT MASSAGE FRESH OIL INJECTIONS!

massaging the area of a shot immediately afterwards WILL drive the depot out of the area into places you don't want it. increasing the chance that you will develop pain or an abcess.

what you can do is use pressure if you need to stop bleeding, but never rub it. the z track method will usually make it so you don't need compression to stem the blood flow.

the only time you should be applying heat is if the depot has crashed and you're sure of that. if it's an abcess using heat will only make it worse, use ice and get it drained asap, also take a broad spectrum antibiotic. sepsis is not a laughing matter.

shortie is offline AR Biggerologist
    Not a vet, but here is my .02-A good hard deep tissue massage after injects is a horrible idea, but to gently rub the site and heat it is not. You push too hard and you could push the depot to where it causes tissue damage, like squeezing a small balloon in the middle, all the air pushes out the ends. As for only heat if the gear has crashed, for me at least it has a thereaputic effect and will greatly diminish soreness from injects, and I cannot think of a time I have used gear I "knew" had crashed.
    Last edited by shortie; 06-20-2006 at 05:33 PM.

Njectable is offline Member
    interesting, never thought that massaging incorrectly after you inject could have such negative effects. I usually put moderate pressure when rubbing the area after, after reading this i might lighten up on that a little.

Thread Information