dolimitless is offline New Member

20,000 iu/ml multidose vial - How to measure 1,500i.u.

Ok, please correct my math if it is wrong. I have the 20,000 iu/ml multidose Procrit (EPO) vial.

So basically I have 100 I.U's in a 20,000 i.u./ml solution. To draw 1500 i.u., how much solution do I need?

Answer: 0.075 of total solution = 7.5 I.U's correct?
    If I wanted to draw 2,000 I.U it would be 10 I.U's correct?

Just wanting to make sure my math is right! Thanks everyone!

Also, is it Ok to draw from the vial with a 29G 3/10cc syringe very carefully to the prescribed amount, then inject?

one8nine is offline Banned
    with that small of a dose dont fvck with a normal syringe

insulin syringe ONLY.. get the kind that have a full cc and draw it up the the line that says 75 on it

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Ok bro I think you are a little off here. So it is dosed at 20 000iu/mL. And you want 1500iu. Well then you just divide it. You want to get 1500 iu out of 20000iu/mL.
    Therefore 1500iu/20000iu = .075mL

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    Ok bro I think you are a little off here. So it is dosed at 20 000iu/mL. And you want 1500iu. Well then you just divide it. You want to get 1500 iu out of 20000iu/mL.
    Therefore 1500iu/20000iu = .075mL
    Right, that's what it says in my first post. But with the insulin syringe they are in I.U. units not ML. My question is will the .075mL equal 7.5 IU units in an insulin syringe?

one8nine is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dolimitless
    Right, that's what it says in my first post. But with the insulin syringe they are in I.U. units not ML. My question is will the .075mL equal 7.5 IU units in an insulin syringe?
    oops that little zero made a big deal i probly shoulda done the math before replying but i saw you say .75ml so i said that

get the smallest slin pins you can find, there is no 7.5 mark there is 7 and there is 8, so pick one of those and stick with it

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Well I NEVER understood why people talk in units. I mean the slin syringes are still in mL's. It makes it so much less confusing to think about it in mL's not units. If you want .5mL you simply fill up the syringe to the .50 mark. So dont think about it as 50 units think about it as .5mL. MUCH EASIER imo.

I mean it all goes back to mL's in the end anyways, the only reason they label it as units is for insulin users because slin is dosed at 100iu/mL and they I guess assume diabetics are idiots and cant figure out that if they want 50iu out of 100iu/mL they take half a damn mL.

Its so simple and trying to figure it out in iu's when you arent using something that is dosed the same as insulin (100iu/mL) you are just asking to be confused.

mSHY8 is offline New Member
    This is correct and very sage advice. Many clients become confused when trying to equate liquid measure to iu's of a medicine to what they perceive to be "units" marked on the side of a liquid syringe. Just start with a simple proportion that relates the total liquid volume of your dose vial to the total quantity in units of EPO contained in that vial. Then with a ratio to the dose quantity in units you want you can determine the liquid volume for the target measure. The Eposino brand of EPO is sold in both pre-filled vials and syringes that are a bit more clearly marked to determine proper dosing. Be safe!

Surrender is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dolimitless
    Yes. I cc or the number 100 on a slin pin will equal 20,000 ius. So half or 50 on the pin equals 10,000. 10 on the pin equals 2000 ius. Follow me here. 5 would equal 1000. So 7.5 would be in between or 1500 iu's....So yes you have it now correct...just trying to simpllify it for you.....

Thread Information