Gunns420 is offline Associate Member

Grey hair a side effect from AAS?

Ok guys- I am 25 and just finished a 10 week Test cycle. I gained 22 lbs- but my PCT wasnt done right. My test levels are getting back to normal- and I am considering another cycle shortly. I did have some sides (first cycle) like minor acne, mood swings, and now I'm noticing some grey hairs on my head. I was just wondering if the grey was affiliated with the use of AAS. thanks

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I have never heard or read about this being a side effect of AS. Bump for any other opinions.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    Hell no.

T3/T4 GSR is offline Senior Member
    Normally I would say no but you are the second person I know who is 25 and got a few gray hairs from test. Not a side effect I normally hear about but I do have one friend who swears it gave him some gray hair.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    After running a test based cycle on two different occasions, I have definately noticied a major increase in my grey. Grant it, my mom turned grey at an early age and passed the gene on to my brother (who started turning grey around 22 or so...we call him silverfox now lol) and since I was about 20-21 I've had more than my share of grey hairs, BUT it wasn't until I started running AAS that my few grey hairs went to many grey hairs.

Not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but it makes sense since synethic testosterone speeds up the aging process.

ps Its not that bad....a lot of girls tell me I have a very distinguished look and that they actually find it somewhat sexy!

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    just started TRT in April....got some new grays on chest that weren't there b4 but i am 37

Yeah I thought synthetic Test sped up the aging process as well, thats why I was curious. My dad went grey about 35 years old, my mom's side has no grey. I have a friend who has been on AAS 5 years now- he is 28 and has considerable amounts of grey. I thought maybe it turned grey because I stopped taking the Test- like a side or something. I appreciate your opinions, at least I know I'm not the only one with this problem. Thanks bro's

Bigmax is offline Retired VET~ If you dont know... ask me
    Test does speed up the aging process...My doctor said anyway....but there would have to have done quite a few cycles for your hair to start turning.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Now you guys got me thinking....when you say speed up the aging process...that doesn't sound like something that was ever mentioned to me b4...what other old man traits can one look forward to and/or how fast r u talking about speeding up....should i be looking for a cane and some depend coupons?

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Never heard of a single person complaining about their hair turning grey because of gear, usually they complaining they haven't got hair so color is irrelevant really so long as you have some hair!!

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I don't know how you could explain superaphysiological levels of testosterone leading to an increase in grey hair. And I don't think the link has ever been explored.

According to the Mayo Clinic...

"Gray hair is typically a result of natural aging. Pigment in the hair shaft comes from special cells at the root (base) of the hair. These cells are genetically programmed to make a certain amount of pigment (melanin) at specific ages. At some point in the aging process, these cells make less and less pigment until the hair has very little pigment. White hair has no pigment, and gray hair has some but not as much as a red, black or brown hair.

"Not all hairs respond in the same way or at the same time. So the graying process usually is gradual. You can't prevent graying. Some people start graying in their 30s, and some not until their 60s. Genetics likely play a strong role in graying.

"People rarely go gray overnight. If they do, it's typically due to alopecia areata. This condition causes the thicker, darker hairs to stop growing before it affects the growth of gray hairs — giving the impression of graying overnight. Alopecia areata eventually causes roundish patches of hair loss or complete loss of hair on the head or body. Its cause isn't known."

If AAS can effect these special pigment cells at the base - than there could be a link. I guess it would mostly depend on if this area was populated by the AR. But if AAS had effects on melanin there - than it would be logical to assume it could effect melanin in the skin. ASS can make your skin appear a shade tanner, but that is due to an increase in red blood cell production not melanin.

stupidhippo is offline Anabolic Member
    with the present info IMO we cant say for sure that there wouldnt be a link.. I would like to know anyone with a possible explanation with some proof to back it up (just a good theory would be nice too).. I doubt anyone will have this though cause dont know if this link has been studied at all..

bump^

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    'Just for Men' for the grey hair, 'Steel Curtain Acne Defense' for the minor acne, and a glass of wine or two (or if you prefer a blunt) for the mood swings.

Problem solved!

onefm is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    'Just for Men' for the grey hair, 'Steel Curtain Acne Defense' for the minor acne, and a glass of wine or two (or if you prefer a blunt) for the mood swings.

Problem solved!
    hahaha.. and there you have it

Thread Information