Dangerdan is offline Senior Member

Anabolics effect on Immune System

Can use of anabolics weaken your immune system? If so, what supplements should be taken on cycle to boost the immune system? Vitamin C? Echinacea?

donpinn is offline Associate Member
    yes they do weaken the immne system.
    as far as supplements i take v-c and b-12 im sure there are better supps to take.

Wizeguy is offline Associate Member
    I understand glutamine helps the immune system.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    yes agree they do weaken. Good multi vit and mega dosing vit c plus lots of sleep.

uponone23 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    yes agree they do weaken. Good multi vit and mega dosing vit c plus lots of sleep.

I agree completely... There are not supplements or anabolic compounds that are going to replace good old fashioned sleep.

This is not to say you need to sleep 12 hours a day but more than 8 is a good idea if possible.

Any proof to this? If anything I thought AAS would help the immune system...

Hephens is offline Member
    I believe they help the immune system. i got sick a couple of weeks ago because it was attacking my immune system the "Test FLU" but after i felt better than ever and believe it improves it.

mds
    mds is offline Associate Member
    I never get sick on a cycle, always feel better. Maybe i'm just lucky

mickdiesel is offline Senior Member
    cycles induce sexually transmitted diseases. meaning if u have one laying dormant it will very likely flare up. I.e. warts, herpes or cold sores (yeah that's herpes). every steroid does that, even prednisone and corticosteroids

veryveryquiet is offline Junior Member
    It does seem like alot of people who post seem to get sick during their cycle, by a lot I don't mean a majority I just mean that I have noticed it. It may be about as many people that would get sick anyway?

body_by_donuts is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellmask
    Any proof to this? If anything I thought AAS would help the immune system...

I can’t see all aas's lowering your immune system. Aas's are given to people with cancer and aids, and if you have one or the other your immune system is already deathly low and lowering it even more would cause serious problems (my fathers a cancer patient).

I feel the reason people get sick during a cycle is because your body is using more nutrients to keep up with growth / stress. If you don’t replenish them as needed well, you know the rest.

Pillbass is offline Junior Member
    I know people that have gotten sic during cycle. Something to think about is people workout extra hard during their cycle and mabey let themselves get rundown mor ethan normal.

Juice08 is offline Junior Member
    I never get sick when on cycle, maybe it's just me!

shrpskn is offline Anabolic Member
    Slept almost 14 hours yesterday after an extremely grueling, beyond intense workout.
    Feel like a million bucks today...
    I take a super potent multi-v 365/yr as well.
    I've come down with the test flu once and it was rather bad. Disheartening too, as I watched some of my gains fade while I was bed-ridden for about 2 weeks. Like I said, this has only happened to me once through all past cycles. And it just so happened when my vitamin supply ran dry. Needless to say, I've not let that happened since, so I can testify that a good multi-v definitely reduces the risk of illness. Whether on or off.
    Other than that I'm healthy as all get out when I'm on cycle.
    Although rare, colds tend to plague me more when I'm off.
    IMO, it all depends on the individual and how well they take care of their health, just like so many other things in the AAS community. It usually boils down to the individual, rather than I wide spectrum of individuals.

-ShrpSkn

stupidhippo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by body_by_donuts
    I can’t see all aas's lowering your immune system. Aas's are given to people with cancer and aids, and if you have one or the other your immune system is already deathly low and lowering it even more would cause serious problems (my fathers a cancer patient).

I feel the reason people get sick during a cycle is because your body is using more nutrients to keep up with growth / stress. If you don’t replenish them as needed well, you know the rest.
    All AAS lower immunity according to all the books ive read about them. The effect aint huge and the question is more complex. There are many factors at play partly explaining y the anecdotal evidence is so mixed. In cancer and aids situation the benefit of battling cachexia can outweigh the possible lowered immunity. and I dont know how AAS lowers immunity, it might not make a huge difference in HIV / cancer patients.. i think AAS lower immunity by effecting several processes in the leucocyte migration and other immunological responses.. not sure though..

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    looking for a full answer, docs give steroids to people with HIV / cancer to help them maintain muscle mass so if their immune system is all ready down why would they give something that would futher surpress their systems.

I think if AAS directly suppressed the immune system that this would be the last thing a doc would script an HIV/AIDS patient. I mean c'mon...these people are suffering and dying from an immunodeficiency syndrome..why would they prescribe them something that is going to make this worse?

I agree with cj1capp here...

AleX-69 is offline Member
    Well,

High doses of anabolic steroids reduce the amounts of immune
    globulin A, G, and M in the blood.(1-4)
    These proteins, known medically as IgA, IgG, and IgM, are part of
    the body's humoral immune system. These antibodies that circulate
    in the bloodstream and attack invading bacteria. Having fewer of
    them may make a person more likely to develop a serious infection.

By contrast, anabolic steroids increase the activity of the
    natural killer cells.(3,4) Another of the body's
    defenses against infection, natural killer cells are specialized
    white blood cells that attack specific viruses and bacteria and
    help to prevent tumor formation.(8) Increased natural
    killer cell activity could be helpful to the body.(4)
    However, overactive natural killer cells could also attack the
    body's own tissues, leading to diseases that are known medically as
    "autoimmune diseases."(4)

REFERENCES 1. Yesalis CE, Wright JE, Bahrke MS. Epidemiological and policy issues in the measurement of the long term health effects of anabolic-androgenic steroids. Sports Medicine 1989 Sep;8(3):129-38. 2. Johnson MD. Steroids. Adolescent Med 1991 Feb;2(1):79-93. 3. Kleiner SM. Performance-enhancing aids in sport - health consequences and nutritional alternatives. J Amer Coll Nutr 1991 Apr;10(2):163-76. 4. Calabrese LH, Kleiner SM, Barna BP, Skibinski CI, Kirkendall DT, Lahita RG, Lombardo JA. The effects of anabolic steroids and strength training on the human immune response. Med Sci Sports Exercise 1989 Aug;21(4):386-92. 5. Amsel Z, Genser SG, Haverkos HW. Anabolic steroid use among male high school seniors. JAMA J Am Med Assoc 1989 May;261(18):2639-40. 6. Wagner JC. Abuse of drugs used to enhance athletic performance. American Journal Of Hospital Pharmacy 1989 Oct;46:2059-67. 7. Scott MJ, Scott MJ. HIV infection associated with injections of anabolic steroids. JAMA J Am Med Assoc 1989 Jul;262(2):207- 8. 8. Wilson CB. The cellular immune system and its role in host defense. In: eds. Principles and practice of infectious diseases. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1990, 119. by Trent Tschirgi, R. Ph. (c) 1992 University of Maryland Office of Substance Abuse Studies

^^^Hmmm...interesting to say the least.

stupidhippo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shrpskn
    I think if AAS directly suppressed the immune system that this would be the last thing a doc would script an HIV/AIDS patient. I mean c'mon...these people are suffering and dying from an immunodeficiency syndrome..why would they prescribe them something that is going to make this worse?

I agree with cj1capp here...
    because immunosystem is a lot more complex and in many cases u cant just say if its lowered or not.. like in HIV's case its the T cells that are effected and if the previous poster is right its mainly the immunoglobulins that are effected by AAS use (produced by B cells).

thunderin is offline Member
    Hard workouts, improper diet and little sleep = get sick with or without AAS

Swiggy is offline Associate Member

Acidophilus

i take acidophilus, and actually now i just started taking some stuff called jarro-dophilus (brand name).Taking acidophilus replenishes our bacterial flora and reduces overgrow of yeast. basically it cleans out your intestines of bad bacteria. if im taking it regularly and get enough sleep i never get sick. actually antiboitics kill everything in your system including good bacteria and can cause yeast build up.

Vegas67 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AleX-69
    Well,

High doses of anabolic steroids reduce the amounts of immune
    globulin A, G, and M in the blood.(1-4)
    These proteins, known medically as IgA, IgG, and IgM, are part of
    the body's humoral immune system. These antibodies that circulate
    in the bloodstream and attack invading bacteria. Having fewer of
    them may make a person more likely to develop a serious infection.

By contrast, anabolic steroids increase the activity of the
    natural killer cells.(3,4) Another of the body's
    defenses against infection, natural killer cells are specialized
    white blood cells that attack specific viruses and bacteria and
    help to prevent tumor formation.(8) Increased natural
    killer cell activity could be helpful to the body.(4)
    However, overactive natural killer cells could also attack the
    body's own tissues, leading to diseases that are known medically as
    "autoimmune diseases."(4)

REFERENCES 1. Yesalis CE, Wright JE, Bahrke MS. Epidemiological and policy issues in the measurement of the long term health effects of anabolic-androgenic steroids. Sports Medicine 1989 Sep;8(3):129-38. 2. Johnson MD. Steroids. Adolescent Med 1991 Feb;2(1):79-93. 3. Kleiner SM. Performance-enhancing aids in sport - health consequences and nutritional alternatives. J Amer Coll Nutr 1991 Apr;10(2):163-76. 4. Calabrese LH, Kleiner SM, Barna BP, Skibinski CI, Kirkendall DT, Lahita RG, Lombardo JA. The effects of anabolic steroids and strength training on the human immune response. Med Sci Sports Exercise 1989 Aug;21(4):386-92. 5. Amsel Z, Genser SG, Haverkos HW. Anabolic steroid use among male high school seniors. JAMA J Am Med Assoc 1989 May;261(18):2639-40. 6. Wagner JC. Abuse of drugs used to enhance athletic performance. American Journal Of Hospital Pharmacy 1989 Oct;46:2059-67. 7. Scott MJ, Scott MJ. HIV infection associated with injections of anabolic steroids. JAMA J Am Med Assoc 1989 Jul;262(2):207- 8. 8. Wilson CB. The cellular immune system and its role in host defense. In: eds. Principles and practice of infectious diseases. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1990, 119. by Trent Tschirgi, R. Ph. (c) 1992 University of Maryland Office of Substance Abuse Studies

This is interesting. I have alopecia areata...which is a form of autoimmune disease that manifests itself as hairloss in patches...usually not a problem for me until the last 6 months in which its gotten much worse. I am on a primobolin, low test, HGH and IGH cycle with anavar . For you Gurus out there...which would be the culprit?

AleX-69 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas67
    This is interesting. I have alopecia areata...which is a form of autoimmune disease that manifests itself as hairloss in patches...usually not a problem for me until the last 6 months in which its gotten much worse. I am on a primobolin, low test, HGH and IGH cycle with anavar . For you Gurus out there...which would be the culprit?

I think you named the problem yourself. It's an autoimmune disease.
    As AAS increase the total of white blood cells (killer cells) within your body there are more of those cells who are able to sort of attack your hair..

AnaBoller is offline New Member
    I had been on a 7 week Anavar Only cycle and ended up developing alopecia areata in my beard and scalp, and have heard that due to its anti-catabolic characteristics this may be the cause of alopecia areata.

I am wondering if anyone else has seen the same sideffects from Anavar only use? It seems odd considering Anavar has the lowest anabolic :androgenic ratio out of all steroids .

Thread Information