Maldorf is offline Senior Member

Umbilicial hernia recovery time

I have had an umbilical hernia now for 18 years. When I originally developed it all of the docs said it was too small to worry about surgery. Over the years it has grown to the point now where I would like to get it repaired. Im looking for personal experience here. Anyone had this done, what was the method they used to repair it and how was recovery time? How long did you have to stay out of the gym? Im reading online about patching up with a mesh using a tension free technique, and they claim a competitive european bodybuilding champ took just a few days off before resuming lifting. I wrote to Markus Rhul, he had one repaired in 2001, and he said he was out of the gym for 6 weeks. His surgeon didnt use the mesh, they used the old technique of just suturing the fascia/muscle of the abs together. Im just hoping to hear some more feedback on this issue.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    i know, i thought i had a hernia once a did a bunch reading too. like the mesh has less tension but the suture seem like it could repair more precisly. i did read of one pro-bodybuilder who asked his doctor for both cuz he was like "this is my living we are talking about here".
    ask the doc for both.

Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicBoy1981
    i know, i thought i had a hernia once a did a bunch reading too. like the mesh has less tension but the suture seem like it could repair more precisly. i did read of one pro-bodybuilder who asked his doctor for both cuz he was like "this is my living we are talking about here".
    ask the doc for both.
    Another thing they can do is place a mesh both on the inside and outside of the defect(hole) in your a**omen. Main thing is that it is strong enough to hold up for the rest of my life. Its not like I am the average joe where the most stress I place on my abs is getting my ass off of the couch or having sex,lol! This thing has to hold up to 500 lb squats and deads. Claim is that the mesh has less recovery time and is stronger.

bump

Standard01 is offline Associate Member
    I think I may be in the same boat as you, recently I noticed right above my belly button is a protruding bump. From what I've researched mesh seems to be the way to go. How big is your lump and how far does it stick out, and is it painful? Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Standard01
    I think I may be in the same boat as you, recently I noticed right above my belly button is a protruding bump. From what I've researched mesh seems to be the way to go. How big is your lump and how far does it stick out, and is it painful? Good luck.
    It is about the size of a dime now, maybe a bit bigger. It will stick out the most when you are standing and after you have eaten a big meal. Mine doesnt really hurt most of the time, but every now and then over the years it might hurt a bit and then I know that it is getting larger. All I know is I dont want a lot of down time, hoping that I can get in the gym and at least do light sets of 20 reps for awhile.

Standard01 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldorf
    It is about the size of a dime now, maybe a bit bigger. It will stick out the most when you are standing and after you have eaten a big meal. Mine doesnt really hurt most of the time, but every now and then over the years it might hurt a bit and then I know that it is getting larger. All I know is I dont want a lot of down time, hoping that I can get in the gym and at least do light sets of 20 reps for awhile.
    Please let me know how it goes, as I'll be right behind you. Or if I get the surgery soon I'll let you know how it goes. Sounds like it shouldn't be that big of a deal, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Standard01
    Please let me know how it goes, as I'll be right behind you. Or if I get the surgery soon I'll let you know how it goes. Sounds like it shouldn't be that big of a deal, I hope.
    Sounds good. Ill keep things posted. Seeing my family doc on thursday to get the referral.

James32812 is offline New Member
    I had this surgery 3 years ago. They typically would rather suture it if it is small enough because this causes the muscle to bind and heals much stronger. The mesh is normally used when the hernia is to big to suture, and is NOT as strong. I had mine sutured because it was small. You will be out for much longer then 6 weeks. It took about 3 months till I could workout normal again. You really have to be careful and let it heal, almost all lifts put a good deal of pressure on your a**omen, especially leg exercises. If your hernia is small enough to be sutured I recommend getting that done.

It will be very uncomfortable for a few weeks and be hard to stand up straight becuase it will feel like your stretching open your surgery site. But its definately worth it. I can lift as hard as I want and dot have to worry about my guts ever popping through my stomach.

simm is offline Senior Member
    I had an Umbilical hernia operated on March 2006..6-8 weeks recovery time but that don't include time to be lifting heavy ;-) My advice is don't move too fast after surgery as you can split the area meaning going thru it all again...Best of luck bro

shrpskn is offline Anabolic Member
    Whatever path is taken to fix the problem, I wish you a successful and speedy recovery.

Good luck,

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Wrong forum.

Doc Sust would be able to help, he's well versed in hernias.

M.

thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the mesh may not be the way to go. Have to wait and see what the doctors say. Wish I hadnt listened to the doctors when I first suffered this and had it fixed way back then. Probably would have healed up much faster when I was 19 years old as opposed to 37.

Thread Information