Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

Obesity Cited in Fast Food Suit

Obesity Cited in Fast Food Suit
    Fri Jul 26,12:09 PM ET

NEW YORK (AP) - A man sued four leading fast food chains, claiming he became obese and suffered from other serious health problems from eating their fatty cuisine.

Caesar Barber, 56, filed a lawsuit Wednesday in Bronx Supreme Court, naming McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King and Kentucky Fried Chicken.

"They said `100 percent beef.' I thought that meant it was good for you," Barber told Newsday. "I thought the food was OK."

"Those people in the advertisements don't really tell you what's in the food," he said. "It's all fat, fat and more fat. Now I'm obese."

Barber, a 5-foot-10 maintenance worker who weighs 272 pounds, had heart attacks in 1996 and 1999 and has diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. He said he ate fast food for decades, believing it was good for him until his doctor cautioned him otherwise.

"The fast food industry has wrecked my life," Barber told the New York Post.

Barber said there is no history of heart disease or diabetes in his family. He said he started eating fast food in the 1950s because it was cheap and efficient.

His lawyer, Samuel Hirsch, said the restaurants should list ingredients on their menus.

"There is direct deception when someone omits telling people food digested is detrimental to their health," Hirsch said.

The four chains have been providing nutritional information, including carlorie and fat content, of their meals for many years.

Steven Anderson, chief executive and president of the National Restaurant Association, called Barbers claim "senseless and baseless."

"Obviously the lawsuit is a blatant attempt to capitalize on the recent publicity and news stories on the growing rates of obesity," he said.

proud13 is offline Junior Member
    HAHAHA that's some funny shit. If I was McDonald's lawyers I'd come dressed in a clown suit and just laugh at the plaintiff's fat ass.

pump man is offline Junior Member
    that's f**ked up ,i saw that on the new's and told my son the S.O.B.will prob. win ,im sure know one forced him to eat so many so often!!!!!!

swampthing is offline Junior Member
    I think so many of the problems these days stem from the fact people will not take any friggin responsibility for the own actions. The fast food places made the food and it is there fault I ate it. Tobacco companies make cigarretes so it is their fault I smoke. What a crock of sh*t.

Stand up and take responsiblity. I made the decision to eat it, so now I have to suffer the consequences.

big N is offline Anabolic Member
    how is this possible?thats fuckin rediculous if u ask me !like someone said this country is way to sue happy !

shorty2big is offline Member
    This is soo freakin rediculous. I was reading about this earlier and I couldn't believe it. The fu**ed up thing is, you would think that it would be a case that is laughed right out of court. I wouldn't be suprised if this fat ass got something out of it. I hate bullshit lawsuits like that. It's just like the one where that stupid f'er sued McDonalds for burning thereself with hot coffee-they won.

proud13 is offline Junior Member
    Next drunk drivers will be suing the alcohol companies.

kizer_soce is offline Retired Moderator
    everyone's a victim of something

JP1570 is offline Senior Member
    yea, well I'm suing TTokkyo because it didn't say on the vial that I'd get huge. Now look at me, I'm fucking huge. TTokkyo has wrecked my life.

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    i heard about this, and im sorry for his maladies, but lets face it, unless you live under a freakin rock, you cant miss the fact that these foods are bad for you. there just too much negative press on these types of food out there, and too much press in general about watching what you eat.
    you have to really be asleep at the wheel to miss this one folks...........

btw- it was only a matter of time before this one came up.

peace bb79

tbulldog is offline Associate Member
    yeah, this fucker is looking for easy dollar. I can't see how he has a chance, I've seen the nutritional info posted at McDonalds before. It's his own damn fault

Bigk is offline Junior Member
    GRR..... I'd like to go over and trip that fat bastard, and watch him try and get off the ground. Now that this suit is public, I doubt mcdonalds will settle as they will have to with everybody else. Was this "obese" man living in a bubble his whole life? Just being fed fast food all the time not knowing the consequences?

Anybody ever seen the movie "Seven"? I say if he wins, we all go over there and do that to him Gluttony is one of the sins ya know.

dern180 is offline Member
    COME ON NOW ANY ASS HOLE KNOW FAST FOOD IS FILLED WITH FAT.
    THIS GUY IS GOING TOO BE A JOKE IN COURT. WHY DIDN'T HE GO ON A DIET WHEN HE STARTED TO GAIN WEIGHT. THIS GUY IS JUST TRYING TO MAKE A BUCK.

5minsforfighting is offline Associate Member
    First thing that fat ass is going to do is take his money from his lawsuit and celebrate stuffing his fat face with a big mac ... what a joke ...

psychopath is offline Junior Member
    This is a prime example of what separates "us" from "them". No one tells him to put the Big Mac in his mouth. People are so quick to blame someone else because they cant accept the fact that they were wrong. No one can take responsibility for their own actions anymore. I certainly hope the courts just disregard this lawsuit because if not, geesh, u know how many overweight people there are out there? No more money for steriods

durbin22 is offline Member
    Anyone who thinks that fast food is good for you deserves to be fat.

ladave99 is offline Junior Member

Angry stop acting like a fat piece of crap

I agree with you durbin.

WTF? It seems like a story of some fat SOB trying to cash in. Like the rest of us, he should take responsobility for his life, eat well, diet, and stop acting like a fat, lazy, piece of crap.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    Hmm i see my three replies were removed from this thread.

wonder whats going on, i dont flame or break rules..

Lush is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by Buddha_Red
    Hmm i see my three replies were removed from this thread.

wonder whats going on, i dont flame or break rules..
    I think one of the overwieght bald Mods found your avatar offensive.

ladave99 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy maybe i was a little to harsh

Sorry about the insults that I was hurling at the guy trying to sue because Burger King so effectively markets their Whoppers.

I just like to think that I am responsible for my own actions, and I resent people who try to abuse our free society by making false accusations.

However, there is one potentially valid point in this lawsuit. Given that nothing McDonalds or Burger King sells ever needs to be eaten, and can only be considred unhealthy, should they be allowed to market to children? One could imagine a lawsuit where a young obeses man sues McDonalds for getting him hooked on the fatty foods marketed to him while he was a child. This is the basis of many of the lawsuits against the tobacco companies.

Here is an idea:

Maybe I should I sue my old man because I got his bad genes and have to work twice as hard to put on any weight in the gym. That sounds like a good idea..... Maybe I will sue for a couple of thousand.... enough for 10 weeks of sust/deca /fina..... and a couple of million for emotional stress. Not to mention pain and suffering for all of those injections

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    I am not even going to comment on Nathan's story of what he put in his mouth "He said it was 100% beef. I thought that meant it was good for you," Nathan told me. "I thought that it tasted OK."

Thread Information