Most Common Antibiotic?

Just a simple question I was curious as to what kind of antibiotic is most common to have on hand or get prescribed for injection or gear related infections? I have no allergic reactions to most I know of.

Like a penicillin antibiotic (such as amoxicillin, ampicillin) or a cephalosporin antibiotic (such as ceclor, keflex, ceftin, duricef).
    Last edited by Tony Bologna; 06-12-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Alstott40 is offline Junior Member
    I believe the answer is Keflex, but others might see it different.

drewvox is offline Junior Member
    I hope I never have problems, I'm big time allergic to keflex. I took it once when I was 13 and broke out in horrible hives. They thought I had scarlett fever. Hope there are alternatives!

BuffDJ is offline Associate Member
    ***ends on what infection you may have. If your looking for something that is for say poor injection techniques or abcesses I would go wide spectrum with Biaxin or a Z pac.

Buff

Alstott40 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffDJ
    ***ends on what infection you may have. If your looking for something that is for say poor injection techniques or abcesses I would go wide spectrum with Biaxin or a Z pac.

Buff
    I thought that Z-Pack (Zithromax) was more for upper respiratory infections???

Alstott Z-pack are used to fight any bacterial infection. It's so strong we prescribe it to prevent Mycobacterium avium complex in HIV patients. You are correct it's great for pneumonia. And it's great for PID also. This just shows you how great this drug is. And it's expensive along with the Biaxin if your insurance doesn't cover it.

Buff

Buff, Alstott40 I appreciate your input. I guess i'll go w/ the Z-pac, I read up on it has some crazy sides if it doesn't take kindly to your body, guess Medsites have to let you know every possible deadly side effect, anyways 30tabs @ 250mg is only $30 so thats not expensive.

So BuffDJ whats the average dosage if an infection should occur?
    Last edited by Tony Bologna; 06-13-2007 at 12:14 AM.

goonstopher is offline Junior Member
    Cipro is a great final option. I am very interested in anti-biotics right now (out of boredow of new topics) so maybe I'll study this more. Using EO injectables makes you have an appreciation for infections because the sterile ***osits they cause could easily turn not so sterile.

carnivor32 is offline Junior Member
    guys dont give advice for something you dont know please. This Is a person's life were talking about.

First of you should see a local doctor. Second is what are you talking about Cellulitis or a muscle abcess. both are treated differantly. if there is any induration then it needs an I&D. and first line antibiotic for cellulits is a semi-synthetic penicillin like dicloxicillin or oxacillin, if there is suspect for anarobes then you need to add clindamycin. MRSA then you need to add Vancomycin.

Second line is first gen. cephalosporin (keflix)

Allergies to penicillin, then you use an aminogylcoside like gentamycin, or Levoquin (2nd gen floroquinolone).
    Last edited by carnivor32; 06-13-2007 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carnivor32
    guys dont give advice for something you dont know please. This Is a person's life were talking about.

First of you should see a local doctor. Second is what are you talking about Cellulitis or a muscle abcess. both are treated differantly. if there is any induration then it needs an I&D. and first line antibiotic for cellulits is a semi-synthetic penicillin like dicloxicillin or oxacillin, if there is suspect for anarobes then you need to add clindamycin. MRSA then you need to add Vancomycin.

Second line is first gen. cephalosporin (keflix)

Allergies to penicillin, then you use an aminogylcoside like gentamycin.
    Right on man I got ya, I am just trying to see what most BB'ers keep on hand. I have no infections just being precocious for a future cycle. My cousins a Doc so no worries he'll hook me up with what i need if a situation arises.

Thanks

ebjack is offline Senior Member
    keflex is what our ER doc gives for cellulitus

Cellulitis is also pretty rare. When I had it at the same time as my sister who was on the other side of the country her doctor said he had never heard of two people in one family having it at once because it was so rare and the odds were nearly impossible.

I hope you were not going to try and purchase these online. Please tell me you are going to see a Doc first. If your interested in getting a antibiotic then ok. But you really need a reason for one. Don't just want to have one laying around just in case. Hell you can fill a RX in 20 min.
    Becareful
    Buff
    Last edited by BuffDJ; 06-13-2007 at 11:03 AM.

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    They have to do a blood test to see which one would not be resistant to the infection.

Unfortunetly not everyone has health insurance so in some instances some people may be forced to try to treat themselves first. I know this firsthand and have succesfully treated myself a few times including infections and ***ression.

Quote Originally Posted by ebjack
    keflex is what our ER doc gives for cellulitus

ER Doctors dont know shit, they are like Parots 5 years after medical school

Sorry, we make fun of them all the time. truth is when it comes to posinings or respiratory failure I trust them, any thing else their on the phone to call Medicine or Surgery. Sad but true

Keflex is good, as I said in my previous post here. Its second line though.

Some one above said that Azthromycin is so strong it will kill every thing. Azthromycin will do NOTHING for STAPHLOCOCCUS. But it will kill Strep.
    Last edited by carnivor32; 06-13-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goonstopher
    Cipro is a great final option. I am very interested in anti-biotics right now (out of boredow of new topics) so maybe I'll study this more. Using EO injectables makes you have an appreciation for infections because the sterile ***osits they cause could easily turn not so sterile.

Cipro will do NOTHING FOR STREP. PNEMUNO, except give you a nice abcess and scar tissue

Quote Originally Posted by carnivor32
    Cipro will do NOTHING FOR STREP. PNEMUNO, except give you a nice abcess and scar tissue
    Then why is cipro listed as intended for skin stucture infections moderate to severe? Not calling you out my any means just curious.

Cipro is good for most Gram positive bacteria, most skin infections are due to gram postive bacteria(but not all). But cipro doesnt cover Strep. pneumo, which is a well know organism to cause a skin infection. its just that simple.

Were are you getting your information? Let me check it out and see if its a reputible source of information.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/cipro_ids.htm

Thats one of the main sources I found

That web site is a good source of information, not the best but it will do the job. anyway here is an excript:

Skin and Skin Structure Infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Proteus mirabilis, Proteus vulgaris, Providencia stuartii, Morganella morganii, Citrobacter freundii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus epidermidis, or Streptococcus pyogenes.

Notice that there is no mention of Streptococcus Pneumonia, which can cause a skin infection.

Here is an excript from wikipedia:

Streptococcus pneumoniae, or pneumococcus, is a Gram-positive, alpha-hemolytic diplococcus bacterium and a member of the genus Streptococcus.[1] A significant human pathogen, S. pneumoniae was recognized as a major cause of pneumonia in the late 19th century and is the subject of many humoral immunity studies.

Despite the name, the organism causes many types of infection other than pneumonia, including acute sinusitis, otitis media, meningitis, osteomyelitis, septic arthritis, endocarditis, peritonitis, pericarditis, cellulitis, and brain abscess.

But don't most doctors you see with an infection not even test for what kind of bacteria it is and just guess from symptoms and throw a script at you? Guess that seems to be my experience and from what you seem to be saying that could be very dangerous.

scribbs12 is offline Member
    when i had an infection i took cipro..

If you took cipro and got better then you didnt have a S.pneumo infection.

When a doctor see a cellulitis case, first he looks at the patient then his history. Someone who is young and other wise in good health isnt a serious case for the doctor, there are guildlines for treatment and Dicloxicillin is the first line drug (cover's all Methacillin sensitive gram postives). but not *MRSA
    so the doctor is not worried about what becteria it is at this point because this antibiotic will cover them all.

Now if the Patient had other medical conditions (diabieties,lymophma,luekemia,immunosuppresion,ECT ...) then we have a different approach to the case. Blood coultures with sensitivity are a must in these patients any doctor who doesnt do it is risking serious complications such as Necrotizing Faciatitis, Bactermia, DIC, Ect... the list can go on and on

*MRSA is not that common, but according to the cdc its on the rise
    Vancomycin is very effective for MRSA

Thanks you for all your help on this subject. One more question, if I have had cellulitis before am I more likely to get it?

do you have any underlying medical condition? if not then its all ***endant on your steril technique and your gear(if its contaminated).

Only medical condition I know of is ***ression but my sister has had cellulitis as well so maybe our family has a low immunity to it.

If it only happened once I wouldnt worry it.

Thread Information