Thread: Enlarged Heart

Enlarged Heart

u know i was talking to this dummy today and he said steroids enlarge your heart? anyone got any comments on this

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    It does not enlarge the heart itself.

Atomini is offline Banned
    Intense exercise enlarges the heart anyways, so tell these morons to fvck off when they spout this shit. And an enlarged heart isn't always a bad thing.

I just got someone giving me this shit yesterday. As a steroid user, you gotta just let this stuff slide off you like water off a duck's back. This shit is expected.

As my uncle (who is a biologist) said to me when I was younger, "people don't know shit".

Serotonin is offline Member
    Wow, I wouldn't totally downplay this guys. One of the reasons this happens is from prolonged steroid use and the high blood pressure associated with this may lead to an enlargement of the heart (cardiac hypertrophy... and think fat person).

They don't(probably) directly affect the heart causing this, but other symptoms they cause can lead to it, basically. Still very notable IMO, since many people suffer from high BP and gear won't make it any better.

AnabolicAndre is offline Anabolic Member
    Cardi*****ly is a very possible problem.

AnabolicAndre is offline Anabolic Member
    cardio m e g a l y

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    left ventricle hypertrophy is a common side effect of aas use. as long as you are healthy and dont have any irregular heart problems you'll be fine

dece870717 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Wouldn't HGH be able to enlarge the heart considering it basically enlarged everything?

ha yea i love it, tell one guy and this is what i got to put up with. i thinks its funny the stuff people come up with. but thanks for the imput

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    A. Urhausen1, R. Hölpes1 and W. Kindermann1

(1) Department of Sports and Performance Medicine, University of the Saarland, D-6600 Saarbrücken, Federal Republic of Germany

Accepted: 16 December 1988

Summary The object of this study was to investigate the possible concentric increase in the left ventricular (LV) wall thickness by intensive strength training and to differentiate between the specific effect of the strength training itself and the influence of anabolic drugs. In this study 21 top-level bodybuilders [users of anabolic steroids (A): n=14; non-users (N): n=7] underwent one-dimensional and two-dimensional echocardiography as well as a cycle ergometer test. In both groups blood pressure at rest and during ergometric exercise was within the normal range. In spite of the same amount of time being spent on training, A showed significantly better power results than N. Total heart volume (A=11.3±0.9 ml · kg–1; N=11.9±0.9 ml · kg–1) and LV muscle mass were almost identical in A and N and correlated significantly with body weight and lean body mass respectively. The body dimension-related diastolic LV diameter was significantly lower in A (0.567±0.062 mm · kg–1) than in N (0.639±0.040 mm · kg–1). An increase in the LV posterior wall (p<0.01) and septum thickness (ns) resulted in increased LV wall thickness:diameter (p<0.01) and LV muscle mass:volume (p<0.05) ratios in A (0.458±0.590; 1.38± 0.25 g · ml–1) in comparison to N (0.356±0.077; 1.16±0.17 g · ml–1). The septalosterior wall thickness ratio was similar for both groups. Systolic LV function did not differ between A and N, while the isovolumetric relaxation time was prolonged in A (A=43.2±19.8 ms; N=28.6±9.9 ms; p<0.05), without correlating to wall thickness. Clearly thickened LV walls (>13 mm) were observed only in bodybuilders regularly using anabolic steroids (n=11). The study suggests that the intake of anabolic steroids combined with intense bodybuilding may induce a minor concentric increase in the ventricular wall thickness along with a minor impairment of diastolic function.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    ^ and there you have it

Thread Information