Indymuscleguy is offline Senior Member

Prednisone and Bloodwork

I have somewhat of a unique question. This may be posted in the incorrect place and probably should be posted in the HRT forum. At any rate, I figure I'd get a quicker response in this thread than the other....

I have been on my third tapering dose of prednisone due to graves opthamia, which is related to my graves disease of the thyroid. I had plastic surgery on both eyes and to treat the swelling and edema from the eye surgeries, I was prescribed 60mg of Prednisone, EOD, then 40 EOD, then 20 EOD, then off.

When I get lower than 20mg, the swelling returns, so I am going to stay on 20mg EOD until further notice or my next appt which is in two weeks. (I have a TON of acne and am on 500mg of Keflex, BID for 6-8 weeks.)

Now the question:

My endocrinologist is treating my low testoserone levels, which was discovered by accident when he did a full blood profile. Also, he noted a high estrogen level...so I'm backwards!

I am due for a 'free testosterone ' blood draw to measure the peak and the trough. Will the prednisone increase or decrease my 'free testosterone' levels or affect the levels in any way? I'd rather have the bloodwork come out 'low' again, to further support my HRT.

Before the eye surgeries, I was prescribed 200mg of Cyponate, 1cc twice a month. I know that's not in the bodybuilding range, but he feels that's a good starting 'point'.

My endocrinologist knows my AAS history and useage.

Stats:
    41yo
    5'11"
    170lbs
    12-14% measured bf *using calipers*

Who can help with this as I am due to get the 'free testosterone' levels checked this week. PM's are cool if you prefer to answer in that manner.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I'm on prednisone also. It shouldn't effect your test levels

Kennedy is offline Associate Member
    Prednisone sucks man, good luck. Free Bump.

Thanks for the responses. So, it will not alter my bloodwork one way or another? What puzzles me is that I have the most serious ACNE on my back than I ever had when post-cyle or when I was doing PCT.

That's why I think my testosterone is higher on the prednisone, thus, will give a false reading when I get my 'free testosterone' checked on Wednesday, when they draw the blood.

I just want to be sure that it's not going to disqualify my HRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Indymuscleguy View Post
    Thanks for the responses. So, it will not alter my bloodwork one way or another? What puzzles me is that I have the most serious ACNE on my back than I ever had when post-cyle or when I was doing PCT.

That's why I think my testosterone is higher on the prednisone, thus, will give a false reading when I get my 'free testosterone' checked on Wednesday, when they draw the blood.

I just want to be sure that it's not going to disqualify my HRT.
    Prednisone can cause acne. It has nothing to do with testosterone. Presdnisone is a corticosteroid. Its not anabolic at all.

I almost wish it was. I would be huge if it bumped up my test since I'm on it so much

Maldorf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    Prednisone can cause acne. It has nothing to do with testosterone . Presdnisone is a corticosteroid. Its not anabolic at all.

I almost wish it was. I would be huge if it bumped up my test since I'm on it so much
    Yeah, corticosteriods are catabolic if anything. Definitely not anabolic.

Yea, I know. I just don't know what will happen when I run my next cycle. I haven't cycled in a year....

Quote Originally Posted by Maldorf View Post
    Yeah, corticosteriods are catabolic if anything. Definitely not anabolic.

Oh and Bump for more...I get the bloodwork done tomorrow and had to raise my prednisone to 40mg as of today which I am bummed about!~

Oh and Bump for more...I get the bloodwork done tomorrow and had to raise my prednisone to 40mg as of today which I am bummed about!~
    tell me about it im on 80mg ed. I'm starting to get a little bloated

Well, they drew the blood today...I'll keep you posted. I was able to drop the prednisone to 20 again...so far so good...

Gixxerboy1...the most I was on was 60 ED for two weeks, then 60 EOD, 40 EOD, 20 EOD, then 10 EOD...but anything below 20 causes my eyes to pop out...the opthamic plastic surgeon said it can take a while to get off...

Well, they drew the blood today...I'll keep you posted. I was able to drop the prednisone to 20 again...so far so good...

Gixxerboy1...the most I was on was 60 ED for two weeks, then 60 EOD, 40 EOD, 20 EOD, then 10 EOD...but anything below 20 causes my eyes to pop out...the opthamic plastic surgeon said it can take a while to get off...
    I'm gonig to pm you.

Thread Information