Thread: Body Fat %

CASHLS is offline Junior Member

Body Fat %

How do you guys measure body fat. We have a scale at the rec center I go to but I don't think this is very accurate. The scale gives me 16% and I like the answer but no way can that be true.

turk1968 is offline Associate Member
    most will use calipers to measure the thickness of their skinfold in certain areas. If you google fattrackyou can get digital ones which you use by measuring the skin fold in three areas and it will calculate it for you. The only problem with these are they are not that easy to use consistantly and do not allow for the fact that some people carry more fat in certain areas. Take myself for example if i use them i come out around 10% but i am 46 and carry alot of fat on the front of my stomach and round the bottom of my back but very little on the inside oblique area where the measurement is taken. So i am more like 15%. The best way of all to check your fat percentage is in the mirror and your clothes.The actual accurate % is not actually that important as long as visually you can see more deffinition so it must be reducing.

sassbs11 is offline Banned
    Most accurately-Hydrodensitometry or cheaper option tryCallipers

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    If you go with calipers do a 9 site, it's much more accurate.

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    a good thing to kinda go by, is 10% bf u got abs, 7% bf u got the wings below the abs, and i think the christmas tree on ur back

jstraw428 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonada8 View Post
    a good thing to kinda go by, is 10% bf u got abs, 7% bf u got the wings below the abs, and i think the christmas tree on ur back

You cannot make generalizaions like this, genetics is going to determine what is showing at a certain bf%.......some people show abs and veins still at 17% bf........

I personally use a bioelectrical impedence meter (bad spelling, i know)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw428 View Post
    You cannot make generalizaions like this, genetics is going to determine what is showing at a certain bf%.......some people show abs and veins still at 17% bf........

I personally use a bioelectrical impedence meter (bad spelling, i know)
    a... it was a generalizatiion...... and b i;d like tovsee that.... 17% bf w. abs,,,,

jstraw428 is offline Anabolic Member
    Hell, i have abs up until about 14%.....its genetics,......this would also explain, why some people do not show veins, even when they are really low bodyfat....

I tend to hold fat in my sides, and lower back, not in my stomach.......I have been at 4% before, and i still have small love handles....GENETICS

DS21 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw428 View Post
    Hell, i have abs up until about 14%.....its genetics,......this would also explain, why some people do not show veins, even when they are really low bodyfat....

I tend to hold fat in my sides, and lower back, not in my stomach.......I have been at 4% before, and i still have small love handles....GENETICS

I have to agrre with you on this one. I am around 15% BF and have an okay 6pack but have a lot of fat on my lower back and butt. It is genetics, and I would use the machine you are using as a guage until you can do it acurate. If you are at 16% now and go down to 14% in a month then you are losing fat, at least that is what I would do.

mauler is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonada8 View Post
    i would say yes if you carry a christmas tree on you back you will definately lower your bf. haha
    anyway what j straw said is true. a more outstanding example would be in women. look how some carry their weight, their upper torso could be skinny maybe 8-10%. then bam lower part 30%. same happens in men or antone. as said before, genetics.

bmit is offline Member
    yup, carry all (or at least most) my bf on my lower abs

Blog Entries
    yes i know its mostly genetics but typically men carry fat above the waist and ladies below the waist... that why i said about 10%.... that th etypical person...

Nstart is offline Associate Member
    dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA or DXA) are the gold standard and most accurate test known to measure body composition. I get mine done usually twice a year at the doctors office.

Stoneco|d is offline Associate Member
    I carry fat some on lower back and lower abs. I can barely pinch anywhere else. Some say I look like 11-12% but I don't believe it. I don't care either, as long as I look good. Would be nice to know the true bf % but no big deal. I am 6 foot, 210lbs and wear size 32 pants which is great.

Thread Information