Filter needle for ampule?

Do I need one? I read someplace you do.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I'm not sure I follow the question.

Vitali is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I'm not sure I follow the question.
    I've read that when you are drawing from a glass ampule you are supposed to use a filter needle to filter any glass particles that might be there from breaking the glass ampule.

They sell these needles that have 5 micron filters built into the hub just for this purpose. I'm trying to see if most people agree that they're a good idea. I looked them up and you can get them for $3/10 + shipping.

ZEUS3 is offline Associate Member
    myth design is everthing well doctors use no filters
    Last edited by ZEUS3; 05-30-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Big
    Oh, I see. I have used amps many times without a filter and without issue, imagine how small a piece of glass would have to be to pass through the needle while drawing.

For your perusal:

Article Excerpt
    The use of filter needles is not often considered when discussing medication preparation from glass ampules. Fundamentals of nursing references prior to 1999 typically do not acknowledge this as an important component of safe medication administration. Safe medication administration has been traditionally regarded as adhering to five rights (5Rs): right medication, dose, patient, route, and time. Adding a sixth right may be appropriate--the right technique in medication preparation.

The use of filter needles in aspirating parenteral medications from glass ampules was first recommended by Katz, Borden, and Hirscher (1973). This recommendation came from their observations during their anesthesia clinical practice that intravenous medications packaged in glass ampules often became contaminated with glass particles when opened. The American Society of Health System Pharmacists (ASHP) and the Infusion Nurses Society (INS) also offer current recommendations regarding the use of filter needles to remove tiny glass particles that result when glass ampules are opened (ASHP, 2000; INS, 2002). Glass particulate and bacterial contamination have long been recognized as hazards associated with ampules (Stehbens & Florey, 1960). IV administration of glass particles may lead to complications, including pulmonary thrombi and microemboli, infusion phlebitis, end-organ granuloma formation, and inflammation (Furgang, 1974; Garvin & Gunner, 1964; Rodger & King, 2000; Shaw & Lyall, 1985; Waller & George, 1986; Zacher, Zornow, & Evans, 1991).

The hazards of glass particulate contamination associated with glass ampules and the effectiveness of filter needles in decreasing such contamination are discussed. Strategies for compliance with filter needle use are highlighted.

Parenteral Medication Administration

The fundamentals. The knowledge and skills needed to prepare medication from glass ampules are taught early in nursing curricula. A review of several nursing fundamentals and basic skills textbooks revealed different perspectives regarding the use of filter needles to withdraw medications from glass ampules. Textbooks written from 1992 to 1998 (Baer & Williams, 1992; Craven & Hirnle, 1996; Elkin, Perry, & Potter, 1996; Kozier, Erb, Blais, Wilkinson, & Van Leuven, 1998; Perry & Potter, 1998; Taylor, Lillis, & LeMone, 1993) indicated that use of filter needles was optional. Books written from 1999 to 2005 (DeLaune & Ladner, 2002; Perry & Potter, 2002; Potter & Perry, 1999, 2003, 2005) recommended filter needle use when aspirating medication from glass ampules. This change may not have been communicated clearly to practicing nurses, who may consider use of a filter needle to be discretionary.

Even nurse educators and leaders do not seem to perceive the importance of filter needle use. During hospital orientation, the use of filter needles is not validated as a core competency, perhaps because of the assumption that students have already mastered this skill (Hadaway, 2003). A systems issue may also exist with regard to availability of filter needles in the clinical setting. Nurses who were taught to use filter needles in school often...

Big
    Interesting post.

You know what? After reading all that, for what they cost, I'm just going to buy some. If I don't I'll be thinking, I hope I didn't get a little piece of glass in there, every time.

Big
    Better safe than sorry, good read. I still think it's not likely, but the filters are cheap insurance just to be sure.

Exactly. I always say, you can never be too safe or too rich.

This is the best deal I found on the filter needles:

http://www.allmed.net/catalog/item/1358

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitali View Post
    Do I need one? I read someplace you do.
    no..most mapules are human grade anyway.

You don't need the filter needles because of the quality of the gear, it's due to the possibility of glass particles getting in the gear when you pop the ampule.

SFVpumped is offline New Member
    never thought of this. im sure it is a good precaution but think of the thousands of amp users that shoot with no complications. if it was a problem i think it would be known wide-spread.

but excellent post/question and research vitali!!! hats off brother

Kristofer68ss is offline Associate Member
    diggin up old post,,,,,,,

so does the sponsor carry filter needles?

are these filters really needed for drawing from amps......

I have a friend that asked me about it amps and drawing from them recently.

If the sponsor doesnt carry these, could i get a friendly pm with a little help?

I have searched online, but found very little results.

Big
    sponsor doesn't sell them, I already answered whether I think you need them. just Google it if you want to get some.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Just to touch on this..... i work in a hospital and yes.... doctor's do use filter needles. I personally don't use them when breaking amps tho.....

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    sponsor doesn't sell them, I already answered whether I think you need them. just Google it if you want to get some.
    yeah, i can read. thanks

kind of figured i would get a response like this.

oh well. on with the search.......

i know alot of guys use amps, yet only 2 threads come up when i search "filter needle".

nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Just to touch on this..... i work in a hospital and yes.... doctor's do use filter needles. I personally don't use them when breaking amps tho.....

~Haz~
    breaking them or drawing from them? not clear of what your point is.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68ss View Post
    breaking them or drawing from them? not clear of what your point is.
    What i meant was..... whenever i use amps (not often.... mainly use 10cc vials) - i don't use filter needles....

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    What i meant was..... whenever i use amps (not often.... mainly use 10cc vials) - i don't use filter needles....

~Haz~
    yeah, it seems most dont.

The Deuce is offline Anabolic Member
    Never even thought of filtering it... ta hell with it !! GLASS PARTICLES ARE COOL !! Make you stronger !! Yah !! Plus even IF !!! You inject Glass particles your body would just PUSH them out of you... NOT A BIG DEAL.. no need of filtering IMO.. most AMPS are HG so it's already 10 times better than any UGL stuff IMO because well .. because its HG.

Big
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68ss

i know alot of guys use amps, yet only 2 threads come up when i search "filter needle".

nice.
    that's because most people don't use them.

gymnerd is offline Senior Member
    I just got some 18 g pins just for drawing my test out of amps because I have such a hard time with the 23g. That harpoon actually looks like it could suck up a piece of glass.

kdizzog is offline Associate Member
    I empty my amps into a 10ml vile. One time I noticed a small piece of glass in the vile, so yes it can happen. I just think of a piece of glass in your finger, it hurts like hell. I wouldn't want that in my body. Soon as I seen it i got a filter.

Thread Information