A Bit Outdated, But Fairly Informative Until…

Good luck finding a new book that is up to date with anabolic steroids . Most of the staples are now considered ‘oldies,’ and have actually become collectibles for some. But for recent info on what is going on in ‘gear world,’ you have to come to websites like this one - I hope!

Steve Gallaway’s “The Steroid Bible” (Third Edition) is a spiral-bound book that is still available on www.AnabolicSteroids.com for $49.99, and that includes a report “Importing Drugs.” A bit pricey, as far as I am concerned, for a book that is from 1997 with a $24.95 cover price.

You can find it cheaper on places like Amazon, so assuming that you have already made up your mind and want this one, here is what you should expect: The Introduction is right on the money by pointing out that the medical community is not always on top of everything, and steroids are a prime example why. Side effects are always a concern, but the ‘know-it-all’ doctors that tried to say that athletic performance would not be enhanced with steroids while side effects would be the only thing to expect couldn’t be any wronger.

It has the usual chapters like How Anabolic Steroids Work, Side Effects, Anabolic Steroids and the Law, and Anabolic Steroid Detection. The next section, entitled Anabolic Steroid Experiences, is said to be actual first hand accounts from users, including unnamed top bodybuilders. Unfortunately, it reads as a “Frequently Asked Questions” area and not very believable. I’ll give you an example - ‘Do steroids work for everyone? If they don’t work for everyone, then what is the reason why?’ You couldn’t get a more rigidly phrased juice question in a can.

Chapter Six, Alternatives to Anabolic Steroid Use , comes across much more genuine, especially when Gallaway states, ‘There are no miracle products that can replace anabolic steroids by providing the benefits of steroids without the side effects.’ But he blows it when the inside back cover is basically an ‘ad-itorial’ for a legal supplement that the company that is selling the book put out. Gallaway stands on his head praising ‘Growth Factor-1,’ which is still for sale on the website.

He says that this product is “the key to serious growth” and is the “only way to build a freaky, professional bodybuilder-type physique.” Not satisfied with ‘freaky,’ Gallaway continues with a comparison of your gains on this supp with “cartoon-like muscles.” Then to really make it legit, he warns that men and women can use this product, but ladies beware! Mixed with weight training, GF-1 will “leave you with a physique that most people would describe as masculine.’ Are you kidding me?

Then the punchline - Gallaway tells the reader that GF-1 is “extremely difficult to obtain” and that there is a “limited supply” available and sold on a “first-come, first-serve” basis at the price of $49.99 per month or $249.95 for a year’s worth of this ‘find.’ One of two things have occurred here. Either not many people made the plunge nine years ago, or that “limited supply” was a bit larger than reported. Oh, and another thing. With inflation, the current rates are $20 bucks more on the website.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not totally killing this book. It does have some cool info and is certainly not the worst book on the subject. But the author lost me when he pulled the oldest trick in the book. He comes across as a very informative individual, one of ‘the guys,’ so to speak. He tells us everything we want to hear about steroids and then grabs us on the way out by throwing the trust we just gained in him at us in an attempt to peddle his ’snake oil.’