Justarting is offline Associate Member

DOes this sound like diabetes?

HI guys,
    I'm not sure if I have this or not... but here is my situation. FOr a long time I've battled with extreme brain fog and fatigue. I've noticed the symptoms are alwwasy amplified by food. I went for allergy testing, nothing. I went to a naturopath who said I had food sensitivities. He also tested my blood sugar and it came up low (2.9 on the Canadian scale). All my symptoms seem to suggest low blood sugar as well. I've noticed when I cut out sugar the symptoms seem to go away.

But this is contrary to what I've seen from diabetes! Is there such a disorder as an OVER production of insulin to sugar. If anyone knows what this is called. Ie. when your body over produces insulin and you are left with low blood sugar? Thanks guys. I didn't know what forum to post this in, but I assume that you guys know you're insulin very well.

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    i have my opinion but since im not a dr or familer with that disease i choose to keep it to myself and advise you to get blood work run at you dr's
    source checks- 200 posts and 6 month membership min. entirely within my discretion
    PT is a fictional character and all posts are for entertainment purposes only.

QuadPower is offline Associate Member
    I believe what you are referring to is hypoglycemia.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypoglycemia/DS00198

I had the exact same problems as you, so I got tested for diabetes. This was an overnight fasting test. In the morning, I had to wait at the lab for 6 hours. They started by giving me a glucose drink and then they took blood samples every half hour. Yeah, I ended up looking like a drug addict with all the pin holes in my arms

Turns out I do not have diabetes (thank god) but I produce higher than average insulin when I take in a lot of sugar. So my body kinda overcompensates, and after 3 hours, I'm left with low blood sugar, which causes me to crash.

Doc advised me to eat less but more often, say every 2.5 hours, and to control my sugar intake. I've been doing that and it definitely feels better.

You should get tested for diabetes just to rule it out.

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    If he tested your insulin and it was in the normal range, that would be the best way to eliminate diabetes.... Generally something they would pick up on with that.

rhino1 is offline Anabolic Member
    maybe hep c.....get tested.....

Chubbosaurus is offline Junior Member
    Quad nailed it; It's hypoglycemia... pretty much the opposite of diabetes.

scibble is offline "A Dukkit In The Making"
    reactive hypoglycemia may be a precursor to development of diabetes later.
    another uncommon condition is an insulinoma, in which a pancreatic tumor oversecretes insulin .

a quick way to rule out diabetes which is less time consuming, is to find a friend or anyone with diabetes and ask to let you check your blood sugar on that persons meter. On the US scale which I'm more familiar with, fasting sugar above 126 (mg/dL as opposed to mmol) or above 200 any other time is diabetes.

In hypoglycemia, eating less sugar and more complex carbs helps, and smaller more frequent meals, because there's not the sugar spike to drive insulin. also want to make sure you are not taking any supplements which worsen the hypoglycemia.

many other conditions cause brain fog, etc. MANY. just as examples, sleep apnea, and hypothyroidism.

rhino1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbosaurus View Post
    Quad nailed it; It's hypoglycemia... pretty much the opposite of diabetes.
    WRONG! hypoglycemia is NOT the opposite of diabetes.
    Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia are BOTH associated with Diabetes.....dependant on whether its type I or type II

NIDDM (non insulin dependent diabetes melitus) or diet controlled diabetes is commonly associated with HYPOglycemia

IDDM (insulin dependent diabetes melitus) caused by insulin sensitivity....generally manifests with HYPERglycemia

You CAN have hypoglycemia w/o diabetes from numerous other causes but just so you understand

BK RN (Ben Taub level I trauma center emergency dept.)

scibble is offline "A Dukkit In The Making"
    Diabetes is much more complex than the above post would suggest. Also there are some inaccuracies.

scibble, MD

Chubbosaurus is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino1 View Post
    WRONG! hypoglycemia is NOT the opposite of diabetes.
    Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia are BOTH associated with Diabetes.....dependant on whether its type I or type II

NIDDM (non insulin dependent diabetes melitus) or diet controlled diabetes is commonly associated with HYPOglycemia

IDDM (insulin dependent diabetes melitus) caused by insulin sensitivity....generally manifests with HYPERglycemia

You CAN have hypoglycemia w/o diabetes from numerous other causes but just so you understand

BK RN (Ben Taub level I trauma center emergency dept.)
    I was referring to type 1... I guess I should have made that clear.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadPower View Post
    I believe what you are referring to is hypoglycemia.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypoglycemia/DS00198

I had the exact same problems as you, so I got tested for diabetes. This was an overnight fasting test. In the morning, I had to wait at the lab for 6 hours. They started by giving me a glucose drink and then they took blood samples every half hour. Yeah, I ended up looking like a drug addict with all the pin holes in my arms

Turns out I do not have diabetes (thank god) but I produce higher than average insulin when I take in a lot of sugar. So my body kinda overcompensates, and after 3 hours, I'm left with low blood sugar, which causes me to crash.

Doc advised me to eat less but more often, say every 2.5 hours, and to control my sugar intake. I've been doing that and it definitely feels better.

You should get tested for diabetes just to rule it out.
    I read a small book one time in a book store that helped me personally with this.
    I learned by getting away from sugar totally made mine get much better.
    when I would have problems I would eat tons of sugary food and feel better,,,thats really just making things worse.
    its a good idea to eat then but make it good carbs and some protein.

edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    just do to the doc and get checked cause something aint right and that stuff dont fix itself!

Thread Information