Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 2 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone

Thread: Losing strength on a cutting cycle

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)

Losing strength on a cutting cycle

I'm taking daily:
    100mg Anavar
    50mcg T3

My diet is very minimal, at least a thousand calories in deficit. Little to no carbs. Currently eating about 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight.

I am slowly losing strength, it's very noticeable in my squat. Less noticeable in my benchpress.

What should I do now to try minimise strength loss? Should I up my protein to 2g per lb?

I can't tell if I'm actually losing muscle size.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Personally, I'd look at my low GI carb intake. Possibly tweak it up a bit and see if that helps with the decreased strength.
    Test Monsterone likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    No carbs = no glycogen. No glycogen = no energy and depleted strength. You don’t need to cut carbs to lose weight, just eat less of them and eat them in the morning, before your workout, and not before bed.

Mr. Small is offline Member
    Cals are crazy low.

I'm dieting on 2000 cals per day with SARM LGD and Caradine and my strength is increasing by one rep per week in almost all exercises.

I don't care about being weaker because I've eaten less carbs on that particular day. I don't care about weakness that doesn't persist past the end of my diet+cycle. So if my squat weight is down by 20% just because I didn't have porridge this morning, I don't care about that.

What I care about is loss of strength that will persist past the end of my cycle (which would indicate loss of muscle mass).

I've increased my protein intake by two more protein shakes per day (i.e. an extra 60 grams per day), but I want continue with low carbs and low fats to have my abs ready for going on sun holiday in Mid-November.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    I don't care about being weaker because I've eaten less carbs on that particular day. I don't care about weakness that doesn't persist past the end of my diet+cycle. So if my squat weight is down by 20% just because I didn't have porridge this morning, I don't care about that.

What I care about is loss of strength that will persist past the end of my cycle (which would indicate loss of muscle mass).

I've increased my protein intake by two more protein shakes per day (i.e. an extra 60 grams per day), but I want continue with low carbs and low fats to have my abs ready for going on sun holiday in Mid-November.

In your original post, you plainly asked "What should I do now to minimize strength loss". That was your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    I'm taking daily:
    100mg Anavar
    50mcg T3

My diet is very minimal, at least a thousand calories in deficit. Little to no carbs. Currently eating about 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight.

I am slowly losing strength, it's very noticeable in my squat. Less noticeable in my benchpress.

What should I do now to try minimise strength loss? Should I up my protein to 2g per lb?

I can't tell if I'm actually losing muscle size.

You're running a rather large calorie deficit AND performing a keto diet.

You were giving the answer to bump up the low GI carbs, which aren't going to have a huge effect on ketosis, but will help somewhat with depleted glycogen levels.

The answer seems plain enough, but it appears you just don't want to hear it, K-man.

Not trying to be harsh, but an answer was provided that met the conditions you posted.

Not all carbs are bad on a keto diet. Running a large calorie deficit and using a keto diet simultaneously is your larger enemy.

A strength loss now will translate to a strength loss in the future once you're body has gotten used to the reduced workload and you'll have to build the strength back up again.. Also, a loss of strength may not necessarily indicate a loss of muscle mass, it could be from a deconditioned CNS response to the reduced workload you acclimated to due to low glycogen stores. No gas in the tank leads to a lower work output.
    Last edited by almostgone; 10-08-2021 at 05:13 AM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Ok, back to bed for me. Time for another 2-3 hours sleep.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

I decided yesterday that I've suffered enough strength loss. I still want to lose more fat from my lower abdomen but I won't lose any more strength now.

I only have 16 days left of this diet and cycle. From today, I'm considering adding in the bit in Red to my daily routine:

7am - Take 75mcg T3 and 50mg Anavar
    8:15am - Protein shake (whey 30 grams)
    11:55am - Protein shake (vegan 30 grams)
    12:15pm - Run for 25-30 minutes (5 kilometres) with a weighted vest
    2:00pm - 5 chicken drumsticks + broccoli + brussell sprouts
    3:00pm - Porridge oatmeal with sliced banana and kiwi <------ My only decent portion of carbs
    4:25pm - Protein shake (whey 30 grams)
    5pm - Workout at the gym (Tue: Chest, Wed: Back, Thur: Shoulders+Arms, Sun: Legs)
    6pm - Protein shake (vegan 30 grams)
    7pm - Diced chicken pieces from the local supermarket while I'm out
    8pm - Take 50mg Anavar
    8:30pm - Beef steak + broccoli + brussel sprouts
    11pm - Protein shake (whey 30 grams)

Do you think the bit in Red will be enough to prevent strength loss?

So basically what I eat in a day is:
    2 x protein shake (vegan 30 gram)
    3 x protein shake (whey 30 gram)
    5 chicken drum stick + broccoli + brussell sprouts
    Beef steak + broccoli + brussell sprouts
    Porridge with sliced banana and kiwi

tlaloc is offline Junior Member
    I like Anavar , its the best oral on many levels. Most people arent aware of just how good it is. It not only accelerates muscle hypertrophy but healing in general, including bone density and if im not mistaken tendons and joints as well. Look into the published medical studies on pediatric patients in particular. I lost the link for the study but its absolutely worth searching for.

That being said, its not the best muscle building oral.

Winstrol is great for strength and lean muscle.

If you are going to run such a large dose, I recommend you try 50mg Winstrol + 50Mg Anavar (With a Test Base. At least 250MG) This worked out really well for me on a cut but I dont recommend doing that combo for more than 4 weeks. That is a shit ton of poison your liver has to deal with. Honestly, I dont recommend doing that combo but maybe once every couple of years.

Actually, since I've gone past the 10kg mark (i.e. I've lost 10kg since July), I've decided to quit the 'no carbs'. So I'm going to have two servings of porridge per day: 2.5 hours before I run, and 2.5 hours before I lift weights. Obviously I won't lose as much fat but fuck it I've already lost a shit ton, and I'm sick of feeling weak during the day.

Thread Information