Strong Bad is offline New Member

Bulk up or cut down before first cycle?

Stats:

ht: 6'1"
    wt: 175
    bf: ~12%

Goal: I'm not trying to become a BB, but rather put on sustainable mass for the sport I play as well as gain some aesthetic value.

Cycle will likely be 12 weeks of Test E 500mg.

I realize I'm on the light side to be starting a cycle, and I have really studied the diet forum pretty hard over the past few weeks. I've also rededicated myself to the gym and committed to eating 6 meals a day, with lots of protein, complex carbs, and good fats. I'd like to be at a point where my diet and workout routine are perfect when I finally do start a cycle.

My question is this: In preparation for my cycle, would I be better off bulking up, say to about 185 with the same body fat, or try cutting my body fat down to single digits while staying at the same weight? I feel like with some effort and the right diet, I could attain either goal in a matter of months.

I had always thought that I would want to try to max out strength & size-wise, but threads I've read relating to bf% going into a cycle made me second-guess this strategy and think that maybe I should get as cut as possible prior to the cycle so that I can focus fully on bulking while "on".

Any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Strong Bad; 08-19-2008 at 01:31 AM.

stallion_1 is offline suspended
    bulk away

G4R
    G4R is offline Anabolic Voice of Reason
    I would cut down first, get your BF% a little lower. 12% seems to be the highest acceptable % to start using AAS, but cut that down even lower before you start, then, go on a bulking diet to add muscle weight as opposed to fat weight obviously.

That's just my opinion though

Yeah, according to what I've read on this forum, I'm on the lower limits of weight for AAS and the higher limits for bf%.

Maybe I need to go through a cut AND a bulk before I start my cycle.

G4R
    G4R is offline Anabolic Voice of Reason
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
    Yeah, according to what I've read on this forum, I'm on the lower limits of weight for AAS and the higher limits for bf%.

Seems like a smart idea. Couldn't hurt anything

Gears is offline Member
    I would say bulk untill 15% then cut. There is a good article related to initial bodyfat % and body comp changes here -> http://www.ironmagazine.com/article123.html

one8nine is offline Banned

spot on dude
    try a clean bulk diet, so you put on mass without bf%
    i really like your thread it looks like you put some real research and heart in

MR_T is offline Member
    Stats:

ht: 6'1"
    wt: 175
    bf: ~12%

Goal: I'm not trying to become a BB, but rather put on sustainable mass for the sport I play as well as gain some aesthetic value.

Cycle will likely be 12 weeks of Test E 500mg.

I realize I'm on the light side to be starting a cycle, and I have really studied the diet forum pretty hard over the past few weeks. I've also rededicated myself to the gym and committed to eating 6 meals a day, with lots of protein, complex carbs, and good fats. I'd like to be at a point where my diet and workout routine are perfect when I finally do start a cycle.

My question is this: In preparation for my cycle, would I be better off bulking up, say to about 185 with the same body fat, or try cutting my body fat down to single digits while staying at the same weight? I feel like with some effort and the right diet, I could attain either goal in a matter of months.

I had always thought that I would want to try to max out strength & size-wise, but threads I've read relating to bf% going into a cycle made me second-guess this strategy and think that maybe I should get as cut as possible prior to the cycle so that I can focus fully on bulking while "on".

Any input would be appreciated.
    dont touch gear until you put on a few more pounds, 175@6'1 is nowhere close to your genetic limit. I say this because i thought I was ready for gear at 170@6', worked on my diet and Im in the low 190's now with same bf... gear without diet wont do shit for you

mario_ps2 is offline Associate Member
    Well all this is great but what about us.. the endomorphs? I've always struggled and have had a hard time being with low bodyfat levels.

It's easy for the natural ****-morphs or even ectomorphs to have a significant advantage over endomorphs.

Life is just not FAIR..

No, life isn't fair.

Being fat sucks? Being skinny as hell can't be much better. I've been lifting for years and this is about the heaviest I've ever weighed. There are obstacles for everybody.

From what I've gathered on this forum, commitment to a specific diet can go a long way towards where you want to be. That's what I'm focusing on right now.

I guess I'll try for a clean bulk. I'm setting a goal of 185-190 at less than 12% bf before I touch any AAS. At the very least, that will give me a specific target to shoot for and I can tweak my diet and workout routines in the meantime.

MR_T is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mario_ps2 View Post
    Well all this is great but what about us.. the endomorphs? I've always struggled and have had a hard time being with low bodyfat levels.

It's easy for the natural ****-morphs or even ectomorphs to have a significant advantage over endomorphs.

Life is just not FAIR..
    ture life isnt fair but that just means an endo like myself need to work harder and have a better diet. I dont think people here give enough credit to diet since this is a roid forum.

Thread Information