CYCLEON Guest

Exclamation Alleged drug ring broken up

TOM CONNOLLY, Staff Writer November 05, 2001

WOONSOCKET, RI -- After a two-year investigation, city police working with state and federal authorities have arrested 11 Woonsocket residents allegedly connected with "a large-scale illegal drug operation."

During the investigation, law enforcement officials bought and seized quantities of heroin, cocaine, marijuana, ecstasy and anabolic steroids , according to a release from the Police Department. Police also seized nine cars and nearly $30,000 in cash. The value of the seized drugs was not available.

The arrests took place at different times dating back to March of this year, culminating with eight arrests over the past two weeks.

Six of the 11 people -- Robert O. Robinson, 19, Kim Robinson, 35, Derrick S. Abney, 18, Eric G. Abney, 18, Jermaine A. Wynkoop, 23, and Tina Nantais, 38, -- were arrested last week; two others, Ishmael Arroyo, 19, and Shaun Reilly, 32, were arrested the week before.

The other three arrests -- Orlando "Marvin" Robinson, 39, Steven Thibault, 23, and Meghan McCabe, 22, -- took place at various times before the more recent arrests.

Police said several more arrests are expected.

"Most of them were born and brought up here (in Woonsocket," said Deputy Police Chief William Shea. "How long they've actually been dealing? We know at least two years."

Those arrested face an assortment of charges, including possession, delivery and conspiracy to deliver illegal narcotics.

The Police Department's vice unit, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and the FBI's High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDA) task force worked cooperatively on the investigation.

According to Shea, detectives at the Police Department first identified the operation through information they had received and through surveillance.

After awhile, he said, it became evident that the operation was larger than they had first realized and DEA in Providence was contacted.

Shea said some of the people involved were already known to state and federal authorities, who offered additional equipment and manpower.

"(The level of cooperation between local, state and federal law enforcement) surprised a lot of us that have been on the force for a while," Shea said. "It was tremendous. We look forward to a future where we can do this more often."

Robert and Kim Robinson are currently in federal custody; Nantais posted $5,000 cash bail; and all other suspects are being held at the Adult Correctional Institutions in Cranston.

All assets seized during the investigation are being held pending a court forfeiture hearing.

Jarhed is offline Associate Member
    Holy fuck

Well, that smacks!! Guess there are a LOT of folks in R.I. going without their shit now.

Dont care, I'm still going to scout the border tomorrow.

The Iron Game Guest
    if you are going to sell, dont let it be alongside cocaine, heroin and e Its a shame shit like this happens though

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    good point IG. the cops tend to get pissed when you deal AS, coke, e and heroin. usually if you have shit like AS and marijuana, they're more likely to not waste their time.

XBiker is offline Retired Vet
    Originally posted by dane26
    good point IG. the cops tend to get pissed when you deal AS, coke, e and heroin. usually if you have shit like AS and marijuana, they're more likely to not waste their time.
    Really??

Drugs are drugs.

Yes, cops may juice as well, but the majority of them look at it like this....drugs are drugs.

More importantly is this.

Know your clients.

CYCLEON Guest
    yeah - but honestly, the hard drugs are more likely to get a ddealer taken down because they bring attention of Feds and such IMO

The Iron Game Guest
    X I know a guy who walked with 2k of aas in there house, and heard stories of a few other similar experiences, simple fine and they are off. I cant say the same will happen with that much worth of heroin or coke, drugs are not so much drugs, there are different categories in which the law looks more hard upon. Well im not sure about the US but I think its ludicrous if they class coke and aas in the same category.

-Peace

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by The Iron Game
    if you are going to sell, dont let it be alongside cocaine, heroin and e Its a shame shit like this happens though
    I read this and skipped the rest of the replies. IG, you said exactly what i was thinking...THIS is the reason why it is sooo harsh against the law...because of people who sell all this other shit along with AS....DAMN! Shit like that pisses me off, as well as I'm sure it does you guys too.

XBiker is offline Retired Vet
    Originally posted by The Iron Game
    X I know a guy who walked with 2k of aas in there house, and heard stories of a few other similar experiences, simple fine and they are off. I cant say the same will happen with that much worth of heroin or coke, drugs are not so much drugs, there are different categories in which the law looks more hard upon. Well im not sure about the US but I think its ludicrous if they class coke and aas in the same category.

-Peace
    True, in the US they are scheduled differently. But, in the long run a drug is a drug and you can get jail time just the same.

However, it is true that the severity of the posession charge is related to the scheduling of the substance.

Guys,

I hate to tell you this, but Steroids and Cocaine are in the same class since 1989. The Anabolic Steroid Control Act and the Pharmacy Act took care of that. If they wanted to, they could convict you just like a coke dealer. Steroids, Herion, Cocaine, Marijauna are all scheduled 3 now.

Be careful.

The Iron Game Guest
    not in my country

Thats just cause your some lucky gits I.G. !!!!

j/k

juiceon is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by XBiker

True, in the US they are scheduled differently. But, in the long run a drug is a drug and you can get jail time just the same.

And I'm sure they would treat the seizure of an ounce of coke intercepted through the mail a lot differently than the cookie cutter customs letters they send when they find steroids in the mail. They know there is a difference, even if it is not recognized in the written law.

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by XBiker

Really??

Drugs are drugs.

Yes, cops may juice as well, but the majority of them look at it like this....drugs are drugs.

More importantly is this.

Know your clients.

i agree, and here in u.s. it dosent matter what it is, if its a scheduled drug you're in trouble.

peace bb79

The Iron Game Guest
    would you rather have 5 years for steroids or 5 + 10 years for steroids and coke? or a total of 10 if the judge is nice?

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Hmmmm... interesting.

Titanium2 is offline Junior Member
    Woonsocket, RI is a F'n PIT! What a damn slum... Sorry people got arrested, but that place is just nasty!

Thread Information