m16a2 is offline Senior Member

Blood pressure question

[This might be a repost, so I appologize if it is]

The situation is that I have to go to the doctor for a followup wednesday. Last time my blood pressure was pretty low for some reason, but right now I think its about 150/85 or something, which is too high. I'm not worried about my blood pressure itself, but the doctor will not continue my prescript for adderall if my BP is high. So if the doc sees that the blood pressure has risen to 150 from 130 last time, he will blame it on the adderall, and want me to move back to wellbutrin (which is shit). So what I need is a temporary way to lower my blood pressure. Someone said that they just relax and take deep breaths and it lowers their BP down to the 100's. Does anyone have any other suggestions

Mastiff is offline Member
    If you've got time you might want to try the biofeedback routine. Alternatively, I know there are some medications that lower blood pressure. You might want to try that, check the results first with the cuff, you don't want to be too low.

MindBomb is offline Member
    Giving blood lowers BP level

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    There are percription drugs out there that will lower BP

Originally posted by Mastiff
    If you've got time you might want to try the biofeedback routine. Alternatively, I know there are some medications that lower blood pressure. You might want to try that, check the results first with the cuff, you don't want to be too low.
    Ok, what is the biofeedback routine? I read about the different types of medications for lowering BP, they slow down your heart, or widen your arteries, but basically they are long term solutions. My BP is high b/x of the cycle I think, so I just need a temp solution for one checkup. Another big problem is that I don't know where to test my BP. In albertsons they have one you can use for free, but it says that its made for arms 11-13". Mine are about 16"

**reading now http://www.nau.edu/~eaw/future.htm
    Last edited by rampage76; 11-08-2002 at 01:57 PM.

Originally posted by Shredz
    There are percription drugs out there that will lower BP
    Yeah, I've seen these, but the problem is that my appt. is wednesday and I don't have access to prescript drugs. Also, most prescript meds will take time to work since they are designed for heart attack patients seeking long term solutions.

mindbomb -- that's a good idea. I just hate giving blood... also, that means I'll have to give blood right before the appt? How would I time that out... basically, i'd prefer almost anything else !
    Last edited by rampage76; 11-08-2002 at 01:53 PM.

ceps is offline Junior Member
    I don't think 150/85 is so high that it would warrant stopping the Adderall - particularly if you tell him how much it is helping.

Taking a diuretic would be the fastest way to lower it with a medicine. There are some OTC ones - Xenedrine is one, I think.

If it reads high in his office, I'd just say you're anxious - that can elevate the BP - and tell him you'll check it at the drug store several times next week and report it back to him.

Well, the problem is that he is a fat man who is desperate to prescribe anti-depressants for add/adhd in adults. It pisses me off because anti-d's don't help me at all, but adderall does help. Its like a 180 degree change when I'm using it. Anyways, he said that adderall will raise BP and if mine goes up he's not going to prescribe anymore. Basically he has no idea about how add works, and he is too lazy to write out new prescripts, so he wants to dump anti-depressants onto people. I had to explain to him what adderall XR was and how it worked. I even had to bring in a printout of research I had done about how anti-d's aren't effective, and the stimulant meds are. I also had to take my results from the adult add/adhd test on psychology.net. I should probably find a new doctor, but its tough.

About xenedrine, that raises BP since it has caffine it in.

Rampage, if you see the doc wed. you don't have time for biofeedback. They sell automatic blood pressure monitors in drugstores, ask to try them to see if they are big enough. If the doc can take your BP, these should work. They use the same cuff. I'd try to find a new doctor. I'll try to find something that might work. So far the blood donation sounds good.

Rampage, I got this from JBoldman At cuttiingedgemuscle on a thread about reducing AAS blood pressure rise.

How about clonidine HCL(catapres)? Lowers bp, helps you get to sleep at night when taken at night, and causes an "acute" rise in growth hormone .
    From the same thread:

I have been taking .3MG Clonidine before bedtime and although I feel somewhat "hungover" in the morning, I use ECA before my workouts so it evens out the drowsiness. After my morning workout, I take another .3MG tab and I'm smooth for the rest of the day. The GH effects and sleep benefits have been phenomenal for me. I need less sleep and I feel more refreshed when I wake up. It's a cheap drug to purchase, 90 x .3MG Tabs only cost me $15.

Nandi, if you are using ECA with your Clonidine, the drowsy feelings are nullified. Perhaps you would try it again.

Here is the link. http://www.cuttingedgemuscle.com/For...blood+pressure

I checked out the drug on google, but it seems to be prescript. I guess that the person must buy it blackmarket.

Maybe post a new thread, seeing if a bro has a few extra? All I can think of.

Do you mean on their board, or ours? I have mixed feelings about going on other boards.

I meant on ours. Tell you the truth, I never thought of asking on theirs. It just didn't occur to me.

I've never seriously thought about posting on other boards. I looked at elitefitness while AR was down and I learned my lesson. Mastiff, I spent alot of time reading about biofeedback, and according to that you can position your body,breathing, and mindset to effectively lower your BP. I'm not sure whether it works, but it might be my best shot since I honestly don't know where to give blood around here.

ichabodcrane is offline Associate Member
    Trust me bro, the best thing you can take for a dramatic decrease in BP would be a beta blocker. It will decrease heart rate and decrease cardiac output. This is also great for anxiety induced increase in BP. Yes there are many other drugs for blood pressure, but for a one time shot consider this. Clonidine works well but it works by agonizing alpha 2 receptors, this basically increases reuptake of your sympathetic neurotransmitter epinepherine. So you will have less circulating levels of sympathetic mediators. So if you go in nervous or have high BP because of AAS it won't work as well as you might think. Also over time it can cause a compensatory increase in sodium and water by the kidneys. It also has nasty sides. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but I don't believe it to be the best choice for your goal. Ace inhibitors also work well and you could consider these as also, namely captopril which has a short half life and acts rather quickly. But IMO a beta blocker would be best. The bad thing is that all of these drugs require prescription so this may not be what you are looking for, but you can order them online no problem. BUT note I am not at all telling you what to do, just merely offering my information. Adderall can definately increase BP, as you know it is an amphetamine, minus the methyl group. You see where I am going.
    If your BP continues to be elevated, like mentioned above self monitor. It is easy and relatively cheap. This will let you know where you stand. You will want to take readings morning and evening for a week and then average them. If your BP continues to stay elevated don't be afraid to take care of it. I know it is hard to understand what the big deal is, but you won't show symptoms of high BP until damage has been done. I know you said it is usually not high, but know for sure!

Thread Information