Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    20gauge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    71

    "muscle memory" and gear

    After speaking to a workmate about muscle memory and gains brought on by gear I thought I'd run it by the forum just to see how accurate it was.

    Basically my workmate claims that any gain in muscle strength or size that is kept after a cycle will NOT come back if (for example), you got sick or didn't train and lost size because of it. So once you lose it it's lost forever until you naturally get back to that muscle size/strength.

    So say I was 90kg went on a cycle and gained 5kg of pure muscle after the cycle. Then after a few months I was hit by a car and couldn't train for a few months. My weight drops down to 80kg. His theory is that I can get back to 85kg because thats how much muscle I had prior to my cycle but that extra 5kg I gained will never come back until I naturally gain that muscle because its "different" to AAS gained muscle. I.e "gear muscle" is hard to maintain.

    Is this true or is my workmate pulling my leg. He's a PT but I have my doubts about alot of things he says.
    Last edited by 20gauge; 11-07-2008 at 11:37 PM.

  2. #2
    redz's Avatar
    redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My HOME GYM
    Posts
    13,109
    Not true, It will be harder to regain that extra mass but it is clearly not impossible it would just be harder without gear.

  3. #3
    richtries's Avatar
    richtries is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    388
    depends . . . if you have reached your genetic max, anything you gain after that through cycling is impossible to regain naturally once you´ve lost it.

    For instance, your current weight is 90kg, lets say that this is your genetic max, after you cycle you gain 5kg, then due to illness you lose 10kg so your weight drops back to 85kg, you will only be able to regain 5kg because your natural testosterone levels restrict the amount of muscle mass your body can maintain. You can only make gains/maintain a weight above your genetic max through continued use of aas, some say that hgh can give permanent gains becuase it actually creates new muscle cells, but i´ve been told this is bullshit.

    Think you´ll find the following two previous threads quite interesting . . .

    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=363290

    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=364373

  4. #4
    magic32's Avatar
    magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    6,155
    Firstly the term “muscle memory” shouldn’t be applied here as it has much more to with the neuropathways involved in muscle movements than the capacity for reaquiring muscle mass. That aside, your question essentially appears to be “If one lost (for whatever reason) his/her cycle gained muscle, can it be regained naturally?” The theory inherent here is that since new muscle capacity (both size and strength were attained) it should be possible to reacquire said gains without another cycle. However, as mentioned above (assuming genetic potential was met pre-cycle) the limits placed on genetic potential supersede the precedent set by the cycle gained muscle. In other words, “No”, it is not possible to regain your cycle imposed muscle without another cycle. Logical arguments/experiences to the contrary are, as always welcomed, but I don’t have time to pull up any physio-related materials now…gotta fly!
    Master Pai Mei of the White Lotus Clan



    My motto: SAFETY & RESPECT (for drugs and others).

    I AM NOT A SOURCE, I DO NOT GIVE OUT SOURCES, OR PROVIDE SOURCE CHECKS.
    I DO NOT SUPPORT ANY UGL's OR ANY ORGANIZATION DEALING WITH THE DISTRIBUTION OF ILLEGAL NARCOTICS/SUBSTANCES!


    Difference between Drugs & Poisons
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=317700


    Half-lives explained
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...inal+half+life


    DNP like Chemotherapy, can be a useful poison, but both are still POISONS
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=306144


    BE CAREFUL!

  5. #5
    T_Own's Avatar
    T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    pistolvania
    Posts
    3,850
    sounds like 189s situation lol.

  6. #6
    JiGGaMaN's Avatar
    JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Own View Post
    sounds like 189s situation lol.
    good call. whatever personal trainers say tend to be bullshit.

  7. #7
    MuscleScience is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    11,619
    Blog Entries
    6
    I see my work here will never end.....

    I dont really follow what your mate is saying. Nor is there any validity to what he is saying. The basics of it is this, gaining of muscle mass in nothing more than the muscle holding more protein in the contractile and structural filaments. True being on gear will change the physiology of the muscle and it will be much easier to gain back lost muscle mass with AAS.

    But you could in theory get to 100kg on or off gear from your post accident weight. All you have to do is stimulate the muscle to increase protein synthesis.

    Practically the only thing you retain from previously being weight trained is the neuromuscular component of training. The motor patterns never really go away, think of once you know how to ride a bike you never forget.

  8. #8
    Iceman69's Avatar
    Iceman69 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    324
    Before I ever took AAS my max weight was around 205. No matter what I did I just couldn't get bigger than that.

    After few cycles I got up to 250lbs.

    Now....no matter what happens to me...sickness, not training for a month.....I can ALWAYs get back to 230-240 almost at will.

    Keep in mind I graduated high school 6'3 and 156lbs.

    I truly believe that somehow I've modified my genetics. =)

    I could be totally crazy of course.

    Iceman

  9. #9
    20gauge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by JiGGaMaN View Post
    good call. whatever personal trainers say tend to be bullshit.
    Lol, true true. This dude is ur typical PT. He's right, your wrong and so is the rest of the world. I just keep telling him "everyones a personal trainer"
    Last edited by 20gauge; 11-06-2008 at 11:08 PM.

  10. #10
    Iceman69's Avatar
    Iceman69 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    324
    Most personal trainers I see are ****ing skinny little bitches who need to shut the **** up and go eat some protein.

    I actually had this 160lb personal trainer to convince me I needed to sign up for his personal training....I wanted to rip his balls off. (Granted I was on 500mg Test E and 400mg Deca with Dbol kick start at the time.)

    Now if some 275lb jacked up personal trainer asked me if I wanted to train with him...I'd think about it.

    But I've yet to meet one of those.

    Iceman

  11. #11
    MuscleScience is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    11,619
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69 View Post
    Most personal trainers I see are ****ing skinny little bitches who need to shut the **** up and go eat some protein.

    I actually had this 160lb personal trainer to convince me I needed to sign up for his personal training....I wanted to rip his balls off. (Granted I was on 500mg Test E and 400mg Deca with Dbol kick start at the time.)

    Now if some 275lb jacked up personal trainer asked me if I wanted to train with him...I'd think about it.

    But I've yet to meet one of those.

    Iceman

    You think thats bad you, I taught majors exercise physiology while in grad school. You would not believe the number of PT's that I had to flunk out of the class, or would get barely a passing grade.

    Granted some of them where bigger than me......

  12. #12
    20gauge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    I see my work here will never end.....

    I dont really follow what your mate is saying. Nor is there any validity to what he is saying. The basics of it is this, gaining of muscle mass in nothing more than the muscle holding more protein in the contractile and structural filaments. True being on gear will change the physiology of the muscle and it will be much easier to gain back lost muscle mass with AAS.

    But you could in theory get to 100kg on or off gear from your post accident weight. All you have to do is stimulate the muscle to increase protein synthesis.

    Practically the only thing you retain from previously being weight trained is the neuromuscular component of training. The motor patterns never really go away, think of once you know how to ride a bike you never forget.
    Yeh that sounds right. My understanding of "muscle memory" was that because you do the same repetitive motion over time your muscle becomes accustomed to that, to the point where it becomes an unconscious process. So like for example a baby learning to walk has no fewer motor neurons to control their walking, but through trial and error and with more connections between brain and muscle the baby eventually learns to walk, their stabilizer muscles and primary muscles become stronger and gain more and more motor neurons. I would assume this would be the same whether you took a steroid or did it naturally. His theory is that there is no "muscle memory" for muscle that was gained through AAS, in other words that extra increase, if you got sick would be as though it never even happened.
    Last edited by 20gauge; 11-06-2008 at 11:11 PM.

  13. #13
    20gauge is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    71
    If I tell you what he wanted me to do for my training you would piss your pants!!

  14. #14
    MuscleScience is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    11,619
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by 20gauge View Post
    Yeh that sounds right. My understanding of "muscle memory" was that because you do the same repetitive motion over time your muscle becomes accustomed to that, to the point where it becomes an unconscious process. So like for example a baby learning to walk has no fewer motor neurons to control their walking, but through trial and error and with more connections between brain and muscle the baby eventually learns to walk. I would assume this would be the same whether you took a steroid or did it naturally. His theory is that there is no "muscle memory" for muscle that was gained through AAS, in other words that extra increase, if you got sick would be as though it never even happened.
    I am sure depending on how long a lay off a person took there would be residual in the structural parts of the muscle. It takes a rather long time for the muscle to strip itself of structural proteins unless the muscle is completely immobilized through trauma. I think full detraining takes a few years I am not sure what the current amount of time is now. It use to be a year but then some pretty smart people designed some damn cool experiments that showed that it may not be in that short of time.

    There is some data out there right now that supports that steroids increase peripheral nervous innervation to the muscle (meaning increase in motor units). I do not keep up on that literature as much as I do on some other stuff out there so I cant speak on it much. That could be a counter argument I guess.

    There is also data to suggest that expression of certain genes may linger or be more able to be expressed when stimuli is presented to them (this is not a technical description in-case anyone was wondering). This I have seen a bit on for endurance athletes particularly women athletes that take off time from training due to pregnancy.

    This is why I love exercise science.

  15. #15
    Steroidman99 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    354
    Some research
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum
    indicates that anabolic steroids markedly stimulate the proliferation of satellite cells into muscle cells, which increases the number of nuclei within a muscle cell and enhances its capacity to grow. They also stimulate the growth of new muscle cells more intensively than normal training. In theory, you should be able to gain all the lost muscle back naturally, although it could last longer.

    In fact, a steroid cycle that has increased the number of nuclei within a muscle cell should enhance your potential as a whole. You should be able to continue in your gains for a certain time naturally.
    Last edited by Steroidman99; 11-07-2008 at 12:27 AM.

  16. #16
    MuscleScience is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    11,619
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Steroidman99 View Post
    Some research
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum
    indicates that anabolic steroids markedly stimulate the proliferation of satellite cells into muscle cells, which increases the number of nuclei within a muscle cell and enhances its capacity to grow. They also stimulate the growth of new muscle cells more intensively than normal training. In theory, you should be able to gain all the lost muscle back naturally, although it could last longer.

    In fact, a steroid cycle that has increased the number of nuclei within a muscle cell should enhance your potential as a whole. You should be able to continue in your gains for a certain time naturally.
    Thats a nice paper, the authors were careful to leave out a key word in their discussion. They never mentioned the work hyperplasia, but they did say new fiber formation. Of course they never mentioned the word metaplasia. This paper made me think of another thread were I talking about satellite cell influence in nuclear increase in muscle cells. It then spurred me to read another paper talking about increase AR expression and it all made sense.

    Thanks for that paper.... Learn something new everyday

  17. #17
    MuscleScience is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    11,619
    Blog Entries
    6
    The more I think on this topic the more glaringly obvious it is.....

  18. #18
    Iceman69's Avatar
    Iceman69 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    The more I think on this topic the more glaringly obvious it is.....
    Please explain bro.

    Because my personal experience has been that after several cycles of AAS my natural "baseline" has been raised.

    Iceman

  19. #19
    Charger527's Avatar
    Charger527 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,259
    intersting topic, im keen to learn more.

  20. #20
    MuscleScience is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    11,619
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69 View Post
    Please explain bro.

    Because my personal experience has been that after several cycles of AAS my natural "baseline" has been raised.

    Iceman
    Well my mind was working and I came to a conclusion from several things. I knew several things one being that when a muscle cell is under stress such as when its being continuously trained the infusion of satellite cells increases. Satellite cell metaplasia adds to the nuclear count of muscle cells. Because muscle cells themselves can not divide because they are so specialized that the mechanisms for cell replication are completely unexpressed. Now if you have an infusion of new nuclei from satellite cells which are basically stem cells that are not nearly as specialized. They can express such things as more Androgen receptors and can add to protein synthesis. The nucleus donated by the satellite cells stays on the outer borders of the muscle cell that it infused with. The satellite cells nucleus does not seem to completely mature to act like a native muscle nucleus. It basically acts like a support cell much like glial cells in the nervous system.

    My conclusion is that AAS dramatically increases satellite cell metaplasia even over trained individuals that train naturally. This increase in permanent or at least is very long lasting. I think or at least one theory is that having this permanent change in the muscles nuclear count is what causes the increase in baseline muscle mass if you will. Keep in mind this is my own conclusion and I have not seen to date anything in the literature that says this is a definite possibility. Everything else not in bold is currently what the literature shows at present.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •