Pac Man is offline Senior Member

Excessive RBC vs blood doping?

What's the difference between having excessive red blood cells and blood doping? Seems like the same concept to me.
    As I recall excessive RBC causes the viscosity of your blood to increase and AAS contribute to this, so donating blood is beneficial for the most part.
    Lets say you have a upcoming run or competition of some sort, would it be best to run with high RBC count or to donate a few weeks prior?

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    depends on what the competition is... if its a endurance thing then keep the rbc's... if not endurance then its personal preference

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    yeah, the rbc is what carries the oxygen, so more is better, although it does strain your heart more to be pushing around more viscous blood.

blood doping is when you take out say 1 pint a month before your event, and let your body make the pint again in that time, so you're back to normal, then a couple days prior to the event you inject the pint back into you, so now you have more blood than normal (for the rbc) so along the same lines but slightly different

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    there was a video about blood doping/ excessive rbcs and such... ill try to find it...

Thread Information