View Poll Results: What are the number of times/wk you like to hit each muscle on cycle?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once per week

55 70.51%
  • Twice per week

16 20.51%
  • Whatever I gain better with naturally

2 2.56%
  • as many times as I can (more than twice)

5 6.41%
    BBall6 is offline Associate Member

How many times a wk do you work each muscle on cycle?

My specific cycle is going to be a prop cycle, but I have seen a whole range of ideas on what people like to do.

Off cycle I personally prefer to work each muscle twice a week and judging by the mirror test, my body responds better to that method.

I typically do a MTTF workout as follows:

M: chest/shoulders tris (emphasis on chest tris)
    T: legs/back/bis (emphasis on back bis)
    Th: chest/shoulders tris (emphasis on shoulders/tris)
    F: legs/back/bis (emphasis on back bis)

About every 8 wks or so I'll change it up and go to a once a week per muscle workout for about a month.

I'm just trying to get the maximum benifit out of my cycle and know from yrs of lifting that diet and training have the largest impact and know it won't be any different while on cycle.

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    once or twice depending on what it is. usually just once though.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    usually once but if something is lagging behind I will do an extra workout on that muscle group.

jstraw428 is offline Anabolic Member
    Once per week for most bodyparts....might hit lagging bodyparts twice (calves, forearms)

Quote Originally Posted by T_Own View Post
    once or twice depending on what it is. usually just once though.
    Is that b/c you feel your muscles need the extra rest or do you feel you just need the time for your joints etc.

I ask b/c the reason I do a light emphasis chest day with just reps to try and get a pump and stretch is that if I go heavy twice a week for too long I start to get shoulder pain and it feels more like I am just straining muscle/joints and tendons and quit getting a nice pump.

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    Once per week works for me. Remember, there is lot of crossover. On chest day, shoulders and tri's are hit. Back hits bi's again. etc.

coast is offline New Member
    I do full body workouts out's eod. This is the case when training naturally and also while on my first cycle.
    IMO it's a waste of time just training bicep's one day, tricep's the next when you are wanting to build strength and size.
    The only other option's i personally see viable are a push/pull/leg's split or upper/lower split.
    Squating or deadlifting eod is a must hahaha

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I do full body workouts out's eod. This is the case when training naturally and also while on my first cycle.
    IMO it's a waste of time just training bicep's one day, tricep's the next when you are wanting to build strength and size.
    The only other option's i personally see viable are a push/pull/leg's split or upper/lower split.
    Either you are not doing complete workouts or you are overtaining. You should split more than that. Full body eod is a dumb idea.

Andro9 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    ^^^you have alot to learn

Andro9 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    Either you are not doing complete workouts or you are overtaining. You should split more than that. Full body eod is a dumb idea.
    not only that but deads and squats eod?! must not put alot of effort into working out because i cant walk for a couple days after leg day

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    When I was small (weaker) I could workout much more frequently too because I was not putting as much of a strain on my central nervous system. When you start to really lift heavy you will not be able to train that way.

Charger527 is offline Senior Member
    I do every muscle group once a week and have a "target area" every 4 weeks and do extra work on that muscle eg calfs, traps, etc

I did do two weeks of double sessions (am/pm) workouts which where full workouts and besides taking up more of my time i did not notice much of a difference, it was a good body shock though. but i pretty much could not walk for the two weeks because as soon as my legs stopped hurting i did them again.

Quote Originally Posted by BBall6 View Post
    Is that b/c you feel your muscles need the extra rest or do you feel you just need the time for your joints etc.

I ask b/c the reason I do a light emphasis chest day with just reps to try and get a pump and stretch is that if I go heavy twice a week for too long I start to get shoulder pain and it feels more like I am just straining muscle/joints and tendons and quit getting a nice pump.
    i'm 18 if i have joint problems its much bigger than working out too much.

if i don't get a full day in the gym or if i just go in and do a few sets on something, i'll do it again later in the week, but when i get a full day on something its hard enough working out an entirely other body part the next day, let alone doing it all over. i think everyone will agree with that.

especially legs. that makes driving an entirely new sport some days, working the clutch when your legs are on fire is a good time

merciless83 is offline Junior Member
    Once a week works for me, however I always workout the same muscle on monday and friday these are alternating muscle groups every week.

MercyDog is offline Senior Member
    1x.........heavy, always mass for me

hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Somtimes I might hit bi's or tri's twice, but major muscle groups are only done once a week. On cycle I might do them every six days. I go by feel more than anything.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    I didn't really start growing well until I went from 2x to 1x.

With 1x I hit it much harder now as well.

Well, coming from the vast majority, it sounds like I wasn't too far off the right path. I think I will continue to do bis, tris and calves twice a week and just drop the light workout on chest/back and legs to move them to once a week while on cycle.

I agree with the majority on hear about the cns not being able to keep up with two high intensity workouts on each muscle group per week.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Agreed with all the above. I use to do 2 or 3 muscle groups a day and hit them 2 or more times a week back in the day. I have a buddy who has been working out for 20 years religiously, we use to work out together. He still does the same routine of 2 or more times a week. I have only been back in the game for a year but 8 months of really getting in the gym and I already have more size and definition that he does. I'm sure part is just genitics but I do feel routine has a LOT to do with it.

Only thing I ever do more than 1x a week is sometimes bic and Tri but rarely.

THEMEATEATER is offline Associate Member
    Once a week for me. I work one body part per day that way all my energy is going into that one body part, instead of doing say chest & tri's in one workout. I have done it twice per week but it seems to work better just the once.

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    Twice.

LATS60 is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't have weeks, i just workout 2 on 1 off makes no diff what day it is.

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LATS60 View Post
    I don't have weeks, i just workout 2 on 1 off makes no diff what day it is.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    once ... except calves and abs ...them twice

LATS60 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokethedays View Post
    Iv'e never bothered to work it out. Hang on, every 5th or 6th day i work the same muscle, every 18th day it happens on the 5th day but the 6th day doesnt always happen on the opposite day that the 5th day did, which can be 9 or 11 days before, this obviosly depends on whether there was a tuesday in the week.hope this makes it less confusing.

chuckt12345 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    once

abs everytime

Atomini is offline Banned
    I don't do this Roman calendar, 7 weekday bullshit. The human body was not designed around a Roman calendar, and nor was it designed around a weekday system.

I train each muscle once every other day with the exception of 2 days rest between back day and leg day due to deadlifts being really hard on the body before squatting. I do this routine while on cycle (my split is as follows: chest, shoulders, triceps / back, biceps / legs). So a typical routine for me while on cycle would look like:

Chest, shoulders, triceps
    Rest Day
    Back, Biceps
    Rest Day
    Rest Day
    Legs
    Rest day
    etc.

Doesn't matter what day of the week it falls on, I train them when it comes time, and if I don't feel 100% fully recovered before next workout, I will take an extra day's rest off. None of this "OMFG YOU HAVE TO TRAIN X AMOUNT OF TIMES PER WEEK ON X DAYS" obsessive compulsive ritualistic bullshit. 99% of people in gyms need to stop being OCD and ritualistic with their workouts and start listening to their bodies. This is a science, not a religion.

When I am off cycle, I train each bodypart once every TWO days. It's the exact same thing as on-cycle training, only with 2 days of rest inserted between every workout day, AND I remove all isolation exercises for biceps and triceps. There is no possible way one can make meaningful progress off-cycle with the same training protocol they used while on-cycle, unless you are a genetic freak. With the amount of muscle you build up from a cycle and the amount of energy expenditure you are now using and the amount of muscle damage you are doing in your workouts with all that newly grown muscle mass, overtraining becomes VERY easy while off-cycle.

THEMEATEATER is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LATS60 View Post
    Iv'e never bothered to work it out. Hang on, every 5th or 6th day i work the same muscle, every 18th day it happens on the 5th day but the 6th day doesnt always happen on the opposite day that the 5th day did, which can be 9 or 11 days before, this obviosly depends on whether there was a tuesday in the week.hope this makes it less confusing.
    "WHAT"?? You've totally lost me their m8

Quote Originally Posted by THEMEATEATER View Post
    "WHAT"?? You've totally lost me their m8
    i think he means his rotation depends on the day of the week so he might hit chest on wednesday, but tuesday the next week. something like that.

i don't see the point of resting 4 days out of the week.. and hitting big groups together on the same day

playahplayah is offline New Member
    I work certain parts twice...like on back day I work my lower bis with hammers and reverse curl to get up under the bi. This is great since bi are brought in anyway, then I hit bi as far toward end of week as possible. Works great for me.

I don't know how anyone can do a full body eod! Holy shiznits robin, I can't even walk for 3 days after leg day... Hell, I can barely get through a full leg workout without vomiting. I don't think that is a good idea anyway..seems that eventually you'll overwork your body and start decreasing gains.

SuperLift is offline Senior Member
    Half way right..Squatting and deadlifting is definitely a must! BUT DEFINITELY NOT EOD!!!

THORSZ is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Once a week works best for me. More isn't always better.

coast is offline New Member
    Training whole body EOD is just what i prefer and i feel it works best for me. I don't do any isolation exercises, i feel they are a waste of time get in and get out is my rule. But that's just me.
    Some people love spending 2 hours in the gym each talking shit, doing tricep kickback's, hammer curls and crunches, more power too them.

Rugbyboy8 is offline Junior Member
    BBall - can you post your actual workout as i have been looking for a push/pull/push/pull routine like that

jg42058p is offline Member

Squatting or deadlifting EOD????? WTF?

You'll ruin your back alignment if you do it that much!

I know a guy whose only 25 and did that for a while and now he can barely walk and cant lift weights anymore!

chuckt12345 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomini View Post
    I don't do this Roman calendar, 7 weekday bullshit. The human body was not designed around a Roman calendar, and nor was it designed around a weekday system.

I train each muscle once every other day with the exception of 2 days rest between back day and leg day due to deadlifts being really hard on the body before squatting. I do this routine while on cycle (my split is as follows: chest, shoulders, triceps / back, biceps / legs). So a typical routine for me while on cycle would look like:

Rest Day
    Back, Biceps
    Rest Day
    Rest Day
    Legs
    Rest day
    etc.

Doesn't matter what day of the week it falls on, I train them when it comes time, and if I don't feel 100% fully recovered before next workout, I will take an extra day's rest off. None of this "OMFG YOU HAVE TO TRAIN X AMOUNT OF TIMES PER WEEK ON X DAYS" obsessive compulsive ritualistic bullshit. 99% of people in gyms need to stop being OCD and ritualistic with their workouts and start listening to their bodies. This is a science, not a religion.

When I am off cycle, I train each bodypart once every TWO days. It's the exact same thing as on-cycle training, only with 2 days of rest inserted between every workout day, AND I remove all isolation exercises for biceps and triceps. There is no possible way one can make meaningful progress off-cycle with the same training protocol they used while on-cycle, unless you are a genetic freak. With the amount of muscle you build up from a cycle and the amount of energy expenditure you are now using and the amount of muscle damage you are doing in your workouts with all that newly grown muscle mass, overtraining becomes VERY easy while off-cycle.
    Thats 4 days off a week? How long are you in there when you do chest/tri/shoul? Not knockin, just wondering.

Atomini is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckt12345 View Post
    Thats 4 days off a week? How long are you in there when you do chest/tri/shoul? Not knockin, just wondering.
    Usually about 45 mins on average. An hour max. I do Dorian Yates style HIT.

nath78 is offline Associate Member
    I never work just one muscle group,gorra be a waste of time i reckon,why do just chest when you can just stay down there and do chest,arms and back.i know ur arms are ****ed after theyve been flat out and you cant work your chest as good but your still pumping it aint u?next time you go down the gym to do a workout do your chest first then.thats what i do i find that works good because over your cycle your ''chest'' for example has been worked much harder than it would have if youd just concentrated on 1 muscle group a week.but thats everyones diff in they!

nafe.

Thread Information