NewMuscle83 is offline Member

Does finasteride lower the effectiveness of Winstrol?

It is a DHT blocker, so will taking it make winstrol less effective? If so, what other alternatives out there to take while on winni to decrease hair loss? Rogaine? Nizoral?

UncleD is offline Associate Member
    from what ive heard it just blocks dht at the hair folicial but idk for sure bump for more info for u

peachfuzz is offline Anabolic Member
    not directly...

Quote Originally Posted by peachfuzz View Post
    not directly...
    So....should I not inculde it in my cycle, or will it not make a difference?

UncleD is offline Associate Member
    well all i know is pros who still have there hair and take masteron and its way worse then winny for hair they MUST be takin smthin to stop it from fallin out but they still get show ready so it must not effect it much but idk for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by 48volts View Post
    So....should I not inculde it in my cycle, or will it not make a difference?
    it will help lower overall DHT levels but will do nothing to help any hairloss that is a direct result of the winny. I personally would not run it. why run a DHT and a DHT blocker?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleD View Post
    well all i know is pros who still have there hair and take masteron and its way worse then winny for hair they MUST be takin smthin to stop it from fallin out but they still get show ready so it must not effect it much but idk for sure...
    or they are not prone to MPB...

Angel of death is offline Senior Member
    Winny is like taking a hairloss pill basically
    Dont use it if you want your hair

Tjelle is offline Associate Member
    how about anavar , i know it's a dht too, but will it be as hard on my beautiful hair line:P?

Gears is offline Member
    My strength usually takes a dump when I take a DHT blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by tjelle83 View Post
    how about anavar, i know it's a dht too, but will it be as hard on my beautiful hair line:P?
    I've used Anavar before, and it did little to nothing to my hairline.

Tjelle is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 48volts View Post
    I've used Anavar before, and it did little to nothing to my hairline.
    great, im gonna use anavar for the first time this cycle, have heard good things so im looking forward too it..
    I used winny for my last 2 cycles but never with finastride tho, i also heard it will be bad for the stength gains..

yup anavar gives me no problems...

nicnitro is offline Junior Member
    My sister in law has her PhD in Pharmacy from University of RI and is now the managing director of an international pharmaceutical firm that specializes in consulting on drug interactions.

I asked about the long term effects of Avodart/Propecia and the hormonal effect on testosterone , etc. Here is her response:

Since Avodart is also used to treat enlarged prostate, it does have similar side effects as Propecia. Detailed below:

* Since it is used to treat enlarged prostate it would most likely alter your PSA levels, which is a measurement specific to your prostate. (when your prostate is enlarged, the PSA is higher and results in urinary retention and other symptoms. Also, elevated PSA is often a marker for prostate cancer, so when you use Avodart for enlarged prostate it helps relieve the urinary retention and decreases the PSA).
    * Guidelines recommend that you DO NOT donate blood while taking Avodart or for at least 6 months after discontinuation due to risk of fetal harm (birth defects) for pregnant women who receive transfusions with the blood. Also, I don't think that you're planning on having any more babies () but just in case Avodart is contraindicated due to the risk of fetal harm
    * Possible sexual dysfunction problems and breast enlargement (based on effects on testosterone). (The drug works by inhibiting the enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT). In clinical trials, it did not have a statistically significant effect on estrogen levels, cholesterol levels or bone mineral density (ie. Test for osteoporosis); however, it did have significant effects on testosterone and TSH (a thyroid hormone)- Your doctor could test this with a simple blood test to ensure it is not altered. After discontinuation of Avodart/Propecia, these blood levels returned to normal.
    * It is heavily metabolized through the liver so could be concerns with long-term use (no data seems alarming and they don't recommend any blood test for monitoring, but it could be of concern- since you were asking for long-term risks). (Also, lots of drug interactions so if you ever take any other medications ask the pharmacist/doctor about possible interactions)

I couldn't find anything on fluid retention and based on the drug's mechanism of action it shouldn't cause a problem. There are rare reactions that can cause localized edema (swelling) but you would have already experienced that if it were going to happen.

So far, it seems like you are not experiencing the sexual side effects experienced with Propecia and usually if these side effects are going to happen it occurs in the beginning and resolves by 3-6 months. If you are concerned about your general practitioner monitoring any blood levels, they could test your PSA, TSH, testosterone and liver enzymes to make you feel better about any risks it may potentially have on blood levels.

So I followed up with this question to which you will see her response:

"however, it did have significant effects on testosterone and TSH (a thyroid hormone)"

The effects on testosterone: did it lower the testosterone level ? and what did it do to the TSH ? How will this impact me ? If my testosterone level is lower I think my sense of overall well being is altered and my workouts will be impacted as well ?

Response:

Decreases testosterone thus effects on libido and sexual dysfunction. I would think could effect your stamina/energy for workouts. If you experience a decreases in TSH could make you feel tired and could also make you end up gaining weight but TSH changes are less common.

MgpGator is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicnitro View Post
    My sister in law has her PhD in Pharmacy from University of RI and is now the managing director of an international pharmaceutical firm that specializes in consulting on drug interactions.

I asked about the long term effects of Avodart/Propecia and the hormonal effect on testosterone , etc. Here is her response:

Since Avodart is also used to treat enlarged prostate, it does have similar side effects as Propecia. Detailed below:

* Since it is used to treat enlarged prostate it would most likely alter your PSA levels, which is a measurement specific to your prostate. (when your prostate is enlarged, the PSA is higher and results in urinary retention and other symptoms. Also, elevated PSA is often a marker for prostate cancer, so when you use Avodart for enlarged prostate it helps relieve the urinary retention and decreases the PSA).
    * Guidelines recommend that you DO NOT donate blood while taking Avodart or for at least 6 months after discontinuation due to risk of fetal harm (birth defects) for pregnant women who receive transfusions with the blood. Also, I don't think that you're planning on having any more babies () but just in case Avodart is contraindicated due to the risk of fetal harm
    * Possible sexual dysfunction problems and breast enlargement (based on effects on testosterone). (The drug works by inhibiting the enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT). In clinical trials, it did not have a statistically significant effect on estrogen levels, cholesterol levels or bone mineral density (ie. Test for osteoporosis); however, it did have significant effects on testosterone and TSH (a thyroid hormone)- Your doctor could test this with a simple blood test to ensure it is not altered. After discontinuation of Avodart/Propecia, these blood levels returned to normal.
    * It is heavily metabolized through the liver so could be concerns with long-term use (no data seems alarming and they don't recommend any blood test for monitoring, but it could be of concern- since you were asking for long-term risks). (Also, lots of drug interactions so if you ever take any other medications ask the pharmacist/doctor about possible interactions)

I couldn't find anything on fluid retention and based on the drug's mechanism of action it shouldn't cause a problem. There are rare reactions that can cause localized edema (swelling) but you would have already experienced that if it were going to happen.

So far, it seems like you are not experiencing the sexual side effects experienced with Propecia and usually if these side effects are going to happen it occurs in the beginning and resolves by 3-6 months. If you are concerned about your general practitioner monitoring any blood levels, they could test your PSA, TSH, testosterone and liver enzymes to make you feel better about any risks it may potentially have on blood levels.

So I followed up with this question to which you will see her response:

"however, it did have significant effects on testosterone and TSH (a thyroid hormone)"

The effects on testosterone: did it lower the testosterone level ? and what did it do to the TSH ? How will this impact me ? If my testosterone level is lower I think my sense of overall well being is altered and my workouts will be impacted as well ?

something about sexual dysfunction

I would think could effect your stamina/energy for workouts. If you experience a decreases in TSH could make you feel tired and could also make you end up gaining weight but TSH changes are less common.

I have highlighted the utterly useless parts of this post. the rest is just useless except for a sentence or two about sexual dysfunction. I dont want to flame you but you just wasted a good 20 mins of my life and I learned nothing. Does ur sister write the back of the pharma warning label? This answered no ones question and pretty much ended the duscussion on the topic

Thread Information