big palo is offline New Member

How do u sterilise a bottle for juice?

just wondering how to properely sterilise an ampule or other bottle in order to store juice in it? another thread suggested boiling was not enough, any ideas?
    peace

rudy is offline New Member
    I would assume alcohol.

In a similar question, if one were to sterilize a small 200cc empty bottle (say of some OTC cold syrup), partially fill it with aprox 90cc of juice (originally from their individual amps) carefully, and cap it, would it remain usable or would it go bad from the air in the bottle ?

kizer_soce is offline Retired Moderator
    Clean with tektrol (not sure where to get that anymore) then soak in methanol b/c isopropyl alcohol is diluted with water. MAKE SURE IT IS DRY you DON'T want methanol in your gear. Then baking after that if you feel the need to.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Get a pressure cooker. At 212 F, you'll get most bacteria and viruses but leave some of the spores. At 251 F (boiling water at 15 psi) for half an hour, won't be any living thing left. Sanitary as it'll ever get.
    If you're not able to get a pressure cooker, you can boil an object, then let it sit a day, then boil again, then sit a day, and boil again. What this does (in theory, anyway) is kill off most of the bacteria, and encourage any remaining spores to hatch upon cooling down. When they hatch, ya boil 'em, and they're zapped. Repeat the cycle a few times for compete extermination.
    As far as sterilizing with alcohol goes, I've read that 70% isopropyl (common witch hazel) is ok for SANITIZING only (leaves some bacteria) and 99% isopropyl or 70% to 85% ethyl (everclear) is what you gotta use for good STERILIZATION. Personally, I'd have more confidence in the pressure cooker method.

jon rock is offline Associate Member
    I just thought of something. why not get a large needle and withdraw the contents of a insulin ampule then inject anabolic back in ,the trace amount of insulin will not harm you ,it may even help. plus nothing touches the air.

Lightning is offline New Member
    i wouldnt recomend isoprpyl (ethanol AKA the stuff in drinks) because the highest grade you can get is 75% (everclear 151) and for true sterilizing that might not be pure enough. i like drinking, and i like experiments, i have distilled my own 95% ethanol from cheap nasty popov vodka, to make much better quality vodka, its fun

i dont know what my point is, but if you are going to disinfect with ethanol heat up the bottle to C.100 afterwards, this will evaporate any traces of ethanol and water. ethanol evaporates without leaving a residue.. water doesnt, keep that in mind, thats why i dont recomend this unless you know the only water in the alcohol is distilled water

LewdTenant is offline Respected Member
    it would go bad from the air and also just from handling it.anything touches the mouth of the jat,lid,juice is going to introduce bacteria.and 200cc's is a lot. you could accidently knock over your opened bottle and bye bye cycle.

Lewd

Originally posted by rudy
    I would assume alcohol.

In a similar question, if one were to sterilize a small 200cc empty bottle (say of some OTC cold syrup), partially fill it with aprox 90cc of juice (originally from their individual amps) carefully, and cap it, would it remain usable or would it go bad from the air in the bottle ?

testman55 is offline Junior Member
    Very simple. Just throw it in oven for 20min @ 250deg. If you wanna rinse then use a little methanol. If the vial is sealed then stick a needle in stopper to release pressure. make sure not to touch lip of vial and stopper. I've done this many times with no problems whatsoever.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I read somewhere (and at ---->
    http://csm.jmu.edu/biology/courses/b...es/DeathN.html )
    that to thoroughly sterilize glass in an oven, ya gotta let it cook at 250 F for 2 - 3 hours. Sez autoclaving (steam sterilization, pressure cookers) are quicker for various technical reasons . . . Is the method used for canning and making shrooms . . . works like a champ . . .

testman55 is offline Junior Member
    It cant get any easier than just throwing it in the oven for 20min at 250deg. Of course the bottle has to be rinsed out with antibacterial agent or methanol to get any particles out. It works. 20min will kill any bacteria in there if any..

Thread Information