Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!

Soy - Testosterone Levels and Sperm Concentrations

I dont like Soy, never have, probably never will after these findings...

Some argue its fine, others do not. Its not part of my diet, so I guess that explains my standpoint on it.

Soy Foods Are Associated With Lower Sperm Concentrations

ScienceDaily (July 24, 2008) — Men who eat an average of half a serving of soy food a day have lower concentrations of sperm than men who do not eat soy foods, according to new research. The association was particularly marked in men who were overweight or obese, the study found.

In the largest study in humans to examine the relationship between semen quality and phytoestrogens (plant compounds that can behave like the hormone, oestrogen), Dr Jorge Chavarro, a research fellow in the department of nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, USA, and his colleagues found that men who ate the most soy food had 41 million sperm per millilitre less than men who did not consume soy products. (The "normal" sperm concentration for men ranges between 80-120 million/ml).

Isoflavones (daidzein, genistein and glycitein) are plant-derived compounds with oestrogenic effects that are found mainly in soy beans and soy-derived products. Animal studies have linked the high consumption of isoflavones with infertility in animals, but so far there has been little evidence of their effect in humans.

Dr Chavarro and his colleagues analysed the intake of 15 soy-based foods in 99 men who had attended a fertility clinic with their partners to be evaluated for sub-fertility between 2000 and 2006. They asked them how often and how much they had eaten in the previous three months; the foods included tofu, tempeh, tofu or soy sausages, bacon, burgers and mince, soy milk, cheese, yoghurt and ice cream, and other soy products such as roasted nuts, drinks, powders and energy bars.

Different foods have different levels of isoflavones in them, and so the researchers related the size of the serving to the particular food. For instance, a standard serving of tofu was 115g and for soy milk it was one cup (240 millilitres).

The men were divided into four groups according to their intake of soy foods and isoflavones. After adjusting for factors such as age, abstinence time, body mass index (BMI), alcohol and caffeine intake and smoking, Dr Chavarro found that men in the highest intake category had, on average, 41 million sperm/ml less than men who did not eat soy foods. "Men in the highest intake group had a mean soy food intake of half a serving per day: in terms of their isoflavone content that is comparable to having one cup of soy milk or one serving of tofu, tempeh or soy burgers every other day," he said.

"It is important to highlight that the figure of half a serving a day is the average intake for men in the highest intake group. Some men in this group had intakes of soy foods as high as nearly four servings per day."

The researchers found evidence that the association between soy food intake and sperm concentrations were stronger in men who were overweight or obese (and 72% of them were). They also found the relationship between soy foods and sperm concentration was strongest in men with the higher sperm concentrations. "The implication is that men who have normal or high sperm counts may be more susceptible to soy foods than men with low sperm counts, but this remains to be evaluated," explained Dr Chavarro.

The study does not reveal why soy foods have this effect on sperm, but Dr Chavarro speculates that increased oestrogenic activity may have an adverse effect on the production of sperm by interfering with other hormonal signals. This effect could be strengthened further in overweight and obese men because men with high levels of body fat produce more oestrogen than slimmer men, leading to high overall levels of oestrogen in the body and reproductive organs.

Soy foods are the most important source of phytoestrogens in people in the Western world, and the researchers say they were able to comprehensively assess the men's soy intake. They did not assess intake of isoflavones from other sources, such as bakery products made with soy flour. "However, the most likely effect of not assessing intake of these foods is that the associations reported in this study are attenuated," said Dr Chavarro.

The researchers say that the clinical significance of their research remains to be determined, and further randomised trials are needed.

This is the real killer for me.

Clinical and biological activity of soy protein powder supplementation in healthy male volunteers.

Goodin S, Shen F, Shih WJ, Dave N, Kane MP, Medina P, Lambert GH, Aisner J, Gallo M, DiPaola RS.

Department of Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey/Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ 08***-2681, USA. [email protected]

PURPOSE: To determine if a commonly used soy protein supplement exhibits biological activity in vivo and in vitro, we evaluated an over-the-counter soy protein powder supplement using blood from healthy male volunteers and in an estrogen receptor in vitro assay. SUBJECTS AND METHODS: We recruited healthy male volunteers 18 years of age or older that were in good health. Treatment consisted of consuming two scoops (56 g) of pure soy protein powder (Puritan's Pride, Oakdale, NY) daily for 28 days. Serum testosterone and luteinizing hormone (LH) levels were collected on days -7, 0, 14, and 28 of therapy, and day 42. A reporter estrogen receptor (ER) assay was used to determine the effect on ER-beta and ER-alpha in vitro. RESULTS: Twelve subjects were enrolled with a mean age of 32.25 years (range 25 to 47). Serum testosterone decreased 19%(+/-22%) during the 4-week use of soy protein powder (P = 0.021) and increased within 2 weeks after we discontinued soy protein powder. Serum LH concentrations decreased during the 4-week use of soy protein powder then increased within 2 weeks after we stopped the soy protein powder, but the changes did not reach statistical significance (P = 0.20). Soy protein powder was found to induce agonist activity to ER-beta using a reporter estrogen receptor assay in yeast. CONCLUSION: Soy protein powder decreases serum testosterone levels in healthy men and acts as an ER-beta agonist; the significance of this biological effect with respect to cancer prevention needs further study.

But there is some good from this study...

Another note to take from this study is this, "...and acts as an ER-beta agonist..". This tells us its good at fighting gyno. ER-beta inhibits proliferation and increases differentiation in cells, which is a good thing for those wanting to reverse gyno or have symtpoms. So its not all bad.

seriousmass is offline Banned
    I can't remember who used to advocate for the inclusion of soy into the diet... It might have been Nark. I was never a fan though! Glad I didn't buy into the hype of it.

yucon92 is offline Junior Member
    do you know what kind of foods have soy in it?

ninesecz is offline AR's Mass Monster
    Blog Entries
    Soy Sucks!

More on Soy...

J Nutr. 2007 Jul;137(7):1769-75.

Isoflavone-rich soy protein isolate suppresses androgen receptor expression.

Hamilton-Reeves JM, Rebello SA, Thomas W, Slaton JW, Kurzer MS.

Department of Food Science and Nutrition, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA

Full study - http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/137/7/1769

J Nutr. 2005 Mar;135(3):584-91

Soy protein isolates of varying isoflavone content exert minor effects on serum reproductive hormones in healthy young men.

Dillingham BL, McVeigh BL, Lampe JW, Duncan AM.

Department of Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada.

Inverse associations between soy and prostate cancer and the contribution of hormones to prostate cancer prompted the current study to determine whether soy protein could alter serum hormones in men. Thirty-five men consumed milk protein isolate (MPI), low-isoflavone soy protein isolate (SPI) (low-iso SPI; 1.64 +/- 0.19 mg isoflavones/d), and high-iso SPI (61.7 +/- 7.35 mg isoflavones/d) for 57 d each in a randomized crossover design. Twenty-four-hour urine samples indicated that urinary isoflavones were significantly increased by the high-iso SPI relative to the low-iso SPI and MPI. Serum collected on d 1, 29, and 57 of each treatment revealed that dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and DHT/testosterone were significantly decreased by the low-iso SPI [9.4% (P = 0.036) and 9.0% (P = 0.004), respectively] and the high-iso SPI [15% (P = 0.047) and 14% (P = 0.013), respectively], compared with the MPI at d 57. Other significant effects included a decrease in testosterone by the low-iso SPI relative to the MPI (P = 0.023) and high-iso SPI (P = 0.020) at d 29; an increase in dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate by the low-iso SPI relative to the MPI at d 29 (P = 0.001) and relative to the MPI (P = 0.0003) and high-iso SPI (P = 0.005) at d 57; and increases in estradiol and estrone by the low-iso SPI relative to the MPI at d 57 (P = 0.010 and P = 0.005, respectively). In conclusion, soy protein, regardless of isoflavone content, decreased DHT and DHT/testosterone with minor effects on other hormones, providing evidence for some effects of soy protein on hormones. The relevance of the magnitude of these effects to future prostate cancer risk requires further investigation.

swol_je is offline Senior Member
    Wow no soy for me. I've only had it about 3 times.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Yeah the hell with soy!

ninesecz is offline AR's Mass Monster
    Blog Entries
    always hated the fact they call their soy milk SILK it aint no damn silk

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Yeah the hell with soy!
    Dam right MS!

cubnlynx is offline Associate Member
    I got a couple a vegeterians at work all they talk about is soy this and soy that. They been training for years and still look the same. soy my A$$ I remember them trying to talk me into drinking soy milk and tofu yuck. I tell them I like my animals dead on a plate then they give me the humans are not supposed to eat meat lecture.

Quote Originally Posted by cubnlynx View Post
    I got a couple a vegeterians at work all they talk about is soy this and soy that. They been training for years and still look the same. soy my A$$ I remember them trying to talk me into drinking soy milk and tofu yuck. I tell them I like my animals dead on a plate then they give me the humans are not supposed to eat meat lecture.
    Tell them there all ****ing sterile!

Then link them to this thread...

cubnlynx is offline Associate Member
    I printed it out for them

*El Diablo* is offline Respected Member
    Ive have bought loads of hemp and from next week ill be adding it to my shake, i read that its a good source of protein... Swifto? Are u familiar with any of thses studies?

gp170 is offline Junior Member
    Whey products have, for some time, maintained their position as the gold standard in protein supplementation - whey is the biggest selling protein supplement by far, due to the powerful anabolic effect it exerts on muscle growth.

Whey is thought to contain the perfect combination of muscle-building amino-acids (the building blocks of protein) and enhance the immune system. It has also shown a rapid utilization capacity, for maximum protein absorption by the muscles (making it perfect as a post-workout drink).

Compared to other forms of protein, Whey is thought to be superior, ideally positioned to render these other formulations obsolete. However, there is an alternative protein source considered to be equally as effective as whey: soy.

Soy protein, much derided in bodybuilding circles as a "feminizing" compound (which, as such, is thought to make it harder to gain muscle), has received a lot of negative press over recent years. Why then, would one replace their tried and tested whey with the much maligned, supposedly inferior, soy?

As is so often the case, when a particular scientific issue is debated, there is another side to the story. In recent years, scientists have been looking closely at the effects soy consumption really has on testosterone , and muscle gain.

Recent studies have suggested soy to be as effective, if not more so, than whey in terms of its ability to promote gains in lean muscle mass.

In this report, the latest 'cutting edge' research on soy supplementation will be presented along with the benefits soy might hold for the bodybuilding population, as a legitimate alternative to the whey protein.

Soy Supplementation
    Is Soy Detrimental?

Studies have suggested that the phytoestrogens4 contained in soy protein lead to both unwanted decreases in testosterone, and increases in the female sex hormone estrogen.
    For example, the isoflavones (a phytoestrogen) found in soy are thought to upset hormone balance, and result in the aforementioned unwanted testosterone and estrogen changes in addition to thyroid problems.

A Case Against Soy!
    For quite some time now I have been against the consumption of soy, especially in the form of protein isolates and phytochemical isolates. Find out why...
    [ Click here to learn more. ]

Some nutritional counselors have begun to suspect that soy may be to blame for the low energy, digestive disturbances, hypothyroidism, infertility, and other ailments they see in clients.
    However, on the other side of the coin, many scientists believe soy to be relatively innocuous, and in fact beneficial for a whole range of physical ailments.

Is Soy Beneficial?

Soy protein, extracted from the annual leguminous soybean plant that has been in the food chain for over 5,000 years, is the only plant-based protein considered to be a high-quality protein, containing all of the essential amino acids in the ratios needed to support growth and development10 11.
    The soybean was introduced to the US in the 1880s, and before then was, and still is, a staple of the Asian diet.

Soybeans In The U.S.
    The first soybeans arrived in America in the early 1800's as ballast aboard a ship! It wasn't until 1879 that a few brave farmers began to plant soybeans as forage for their livestock. The plants flourished in the hot, humid summer weather characteristic of the northeastern North Carolina. In 1904, the famous American chemist, G. W. Carver discovered that soybeans are a valuable source of protein and oil. He encouraged farmers to rotate their crops with soybeans. To the surprise of farmers, this produced a better crop.

Soy is comprised of 30% carbohydrate (15% of this is fibre), 38% protein, 18% oil (85% of this unsaturated), and 14% moisture11. Soy contains all nine essential amino-acids, in the perfect ratio for health and well-being.

Soy's other nutritional functions include providing a respectable amount of potassium, zinc, iron, vitamin-E, phosphorous as well as the full B-complex11.

Used together in an exercise regimen, soy and whey proteins complement each other well. Whey protein, as mentioned, is high in branched chain amino acids, used as an important energy source by the body during exercise, while soy protein has high amounts of the amino acids arginine and glutamine.

Arginine is well known as a stimulant of anabolic hormones that stimulate muscle formation, while glutamine is considered essential during metabolic stress.

How Soybeans Are Processed

The soybean undergoes a number of stages before it can be used for foods and supplements.

The soybeans are cleaned, conditioned, cracked, de-hulled and rolled into flakes.
    The soy oil is then removed from the flakes.
    The flakes are then dried, creating the de-fatted soybean flakes.
    This de-fatted product forms the basis of the three major soy product categories: soy protein concentrate, soy protein isolate and textured soy protein.
    Types Of Soy Protein:

Supplemental soy comes in three types: soy protein concentrate, soy protein isolate and textured soy protein.

Soy Protein Concentrate.
    Soy protein concentrate is what is essentially left at the completion of the de-fatting process. On this moisture-free basis (when all the moisture has been removed from the soy flakes), soy concentrate contains at least 65% protein and most of the carbohydrates contained in the soybeans.
    Soy Protein Isolate.
    As with whey protein isolate, soy protein isolate is the most pure and refined soy available. Soy isolates are made from the de-fatted beans, but with most of the other ingredients removed, leaving almost a pure protein source (at least 90%+ on a moisture-free basis).
    Carbohydrates are removed from soy protein isolates so there is less of a soy-bean taste with this particular form.

Textured Soy Protein.
    Made from soy protein concentrates, the textured soy proteins are what various soy products, such as imitation chicken, pork and steak, are comprised of.

Recent Studies Support Soy's Efficacy
    The latest studies into soy protein suggest it does not decrease testosterone and raise estrogen, as previously thought.

The first of these studies, presented at the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Meeting, May 2004, and sponsored by the US National Dairy Council, found the post-workout consumption of isonitrogenous and isoenergetic soy drink to be statistically significant in hastening mass, fat-bone free mass (FBFM) and increases in strength, when compared to other post-workout formulations (skim milk and maltodextrin beverage), both of which had a similar degree of efficacy6.

This study demonstrated that intact proteins from both soy and milk protein are effective in supporting muscle hypertrophy, lending a degree of support to soy as a legitimate post-workout nutritional beverage.

This studies method involved randomizing 34-subjects to milk (n=12, skim milk), soy beverage (n=11) or maltodextrin beverage (n=11) (note: n= number of subjects per randomized group), using a double-blind allocation process.

What Type Of Protein Has Worked Best For YOU?
    Milk
    Whey
    Casein

Egg
    Soy
    Other

Participants trained 5 days-per-week on a whole body split resistance training program and consumed 500ml of their assigned drink immediately and 1h post-exercise following every training bout.

The most recent study into soy as an effective aid to muscle-building (this study served to help dispel the notion that testosterone decreases in concert with soy consumption), was presented on April 5 2005, and underwritten by the Solae Company.

They found daily supplementation of soy protein, whey or a soy/whey blend resulted in an increase in lean body mass and did not negatively affect testosterone or estradiol levels in 41 male athletes engaging in a weight-training program (9).

The study's purpose was to compare the effect of supplementation of 50-grams-per-day of four different protein supplements in combination with resistance training on lean body composition and serum sex hormone changes in males.

The method of this study involved, over a 12-week-period, the 41-subjects consuming protein shakes twice daily and participating in three hypertrophy-oriented sessions per-week.

The protein shakes consisted of either soy protein concentrate (SPC), soy protein isolate (SPI), a soy/whey blend composed of a 50/50 mixture of SPI with whey protein concentrate (WPC) and whey protein isolate (WPI), or whey protein composed of a 50/50 mixture of WPC and WPI.

The Study Found

All of the protein sources resulted in the desired affect of increasing lean body mass. In addition, there was no difference between the supplement sources on changes in testosterone levels .
    The lean muscle mass gains that were demonstrated in this study are consistent with prior research looking at how soy and whey impact lean muscle mass in conjunction with an exercise regimen.
    Discussion

Athletes who incorporate both soy and whey protein in their nutritional regimens may benefit from their different rates of digestion and amino acid absorption. Whey protein digests more quickly, while soy protein digests more gradually.
    Together, they may provide a more prolonged, deliberate release of amino acids to key muscle groups.

In addition, soy protein consumption may provide additional health benefits including a reduced risk of coronary heart disease when combined with a healthy diet. Recent studies also demonstrate that soy protein consumption may reduce the risk of certain kinds of cancer including prostate cancer.
    This study is consistent with other studies, which have demonstrated that soy protein has unique benefits for exercising adults in improving antioxidant status. These findings indicate that soy protein can help combat free radical formation during exercise, which may help speed muscle recovery after exercise.
    The Experts Speak9

Greg Paul, Ph.D., director of health and nutrition for The Solae Company says:
    "The results of this study show that soy protein is just as effective as whey protein in building lean muscle mass as part of a dedicated exercise and nutrition regimen, while contradicting the myth that soy protein may negatively impact testosterone levels in men.
    "These results are consistent with prior studies which have compared the effect of whey protein and soy protein on lean muscle mass, and supports the notion that dedicated athletes may benefit from a nutrition regiment that includes both soy and whey proteins."

Douglas S. Kalman, M.S, R.D., Director of Nutrition & Applied Clinical Research at Miami Research Associates says:

"We believe that this study validates that soy protein is safe and just as effective as whey protein in helping exercising males achieve their fitness goals and supports the development of lean muscle mass."
    Benefits Of Soy Protein

A review of the research into soy consumption for health purposes, uncovered many benefits.

Soy protein has a 1.0 PDCAAS (Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid score) score - the highest possible. The PDCAAS is the standard measurement of protein quality.
    Soy protein increases the nutritional value of other foods due to its complete amino acid profile.
    Soy has been shown to reduce the likelihood of heart disease through its ability to lower cholesterol1 12. Results from a meta-analysis of 38 clinical studies concluded that soy protein consumption may help lower total blood cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol as compared to animal protein consumption.
    In 1999, the FDA determined that four-servings of soy protein per-day could reduce LDL cholesterol (the bad type, HDL being the good) by up to 10%.

Although soy helps to lower LDL, it doesn't effect HDL status, which is also a good thing. The American Heart Association also recommends the consumption of soy protein (with naturally occurring isoflavones) as part of a heart-healthy diet for those with elevated total and LDL cholesterol.

Soy protein is also thought to reduce the risk of other illnesses such as colon, breast and prostate cancer2 3 7, as well as osteoporosis. Research has shown several bioactive compounds found in soybeans (isoflavones being one) to reduce the risk of certain cancers7.
    Soy enhances athletic performance6 8 9. The isoflavones found in soy protein produce antioxidant effects, which speed recovery and reduce muscle soreness and inflammation.
    In addition, soy does supply a full complement of amino acids for the exercising muscles - muscles will become larger and stronger with soy protein. In fact, athletes who incorporate both soy and whey protein in their nutritional regimens may benefit from their different rates of digestion and amino acid absorption.

Whey protein digests more quickly, while soy protein digests more gradually. Together, they may provide a more prolonged, deliberate release of amino acids to key muscle groups.

Cost: one of the biggest benefits to the consumer is the considerable reduction in cost, using soy will present. With whey protein costs soaring, soy might prove to be much less expensive (around two-dollars-per-pound less).
    Beneficial for women's health7. Consuming soy protein has a number of benefits unique to women's health, including the alleviation of symptoms associated with menopause, the protection of bone health and the a reduction of the risk of breast cancer.

Conclusion
    Obviously, more research will need to be done, but if the studies presented here are anything to go by, the future of soy supplementation looks good.

This report is not intended to denounce whey protein or hail soy as the newest miracle product, but, rather, present another side to the whey vs. soy story, with the latest research to help people make more informed choices.

Soy protein could be an excellent anabolic aid, used independently, or in concert with whey protein, to stimulate further gains in muscle.

View Soy Proteins Sorted By Top Sellers.
    View Whey Proteins Sorted By Top Sellers.
    References

Anderson, JW, Johnstone BM, Cook-Newell ME. Meta-analysis of effects of soy protein intake on serum lipids in humans. N Engl J Med 1995; 333:276-282
    Aronson, W.J., Tymchuk, C.N., Elashoff, R.M., McBride, W.H., McLean, C., Wang, H. and Heber, D. (1999) Decreased growth of human prostate LNCaP tumors in SCID mice fed a low-fat, soy protein diet with isoflavones. Nutr Cancer. 35: 130-136.
    Barnes S. The chemopreventive properties of soy isoflavonoids in animal models of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 1997;46:169-179.
    Dwyer JT, Goldin RB, Saul N, Gaultieri L, Barakat S, Adkercreutz H. Tofu and soy drinks contain phytoestrogens. J Am Diet Assoc 1994; 94:739-743.
    Goodman, M.T., Wilkens, L.R., Hankin, J.H., Lyu, L.C., Wu, A.H. and Kolonel, L.N. (1997) Association of soy and fiber consumption with the risk of endometrial cancer. Am J Epidemiol. 46: 294-306.
    Joseph W. Hartman, David Bruinsma, Amy Fullerton, Jenn G. Perco, Randa Lawrence, Jason E. Tang, Sarah B. Wilkinson, Stuart M. Phillips.(2004). The Effect of Differing Post Exercise Macronutrient Consumption on Resistance Training-Induced Adaptations in Novices Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada.
    Messina M. Modern applications for an ancient bean: soybeans and the prevention and treatment of chronic disease. J Nutr 1995; 125:567S-569S.
    Rossi A.,Disilvestro R.A., Blostein-Fugii A. Effects of soy consumption on exercise-induced acute muscle damage and oxidative stress in young adult males. FASEB J 1998:12(5); A653
    Samantha Rubin, Douglas Kalman, Michele Martinez, Diane R. Krieger, Nutrition Miami Research Associates.(2005). A Randomized Double-Blind Clinical Pilot Trial Evaluating the Effect of Protein Source when Combined with Resistance Training on Body Composition and Sex Hormones in Adult Males. Experimental Biology 2005, April 5.
    Segounis, S.(2004). The Scoop on Protein Powders. True Star Health. [Online] http://www.truestarhealth.com/member...12ML3P1A8.html
    The Solae Company.(2004). Soy Essentials. [Online]
    Wilcox JN, Blumenthal BF. Thrombotic mechanisms in atherosclerosis: potential impact of soy proteins. J Nutr 1995; 125:631S-638

RANA is offline 100% American Beef
    Blog Entries
    Never had soy never will, ok I lied, I tried it once and it tasted like shit and yes for all you smart asses I have tasted shit...lol

Aodha is offline Associate Member
    Soy is no good! I heard it started as a big scam, selling the useless parts of the soybean to make more money. And it's not good for bodybuilding, so for that fact alone makes me never wanna touch soy.

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Interesting read.

yungone501 is offline Senior Member
    Soy = gag

Thread Information