Thread: 1rm calculators

ArianBordbar is offline New Member

1rm calculators

My gym partner has been using this 1rm calculator he found online. We did chest today, and he benched 205x8 225x8 245x6. According to the calculator 245x6 should net him a 1rm of 290. After the 245x6 we loaded the bar with 275, and he could not do 1 rep unassisted, and was pretty bummed out. I figured that the calculators must be wrong, but he could have done the 245 for 8 reps, and it sounds to me like someone that can do 245 for 8(hell, even 6) should be able to do 275 for one pretty easily. Now before you come to a verdict, keep in mind the past few months he has stayed in the 6 + rep range(mainly 8-10). He asked a personal trainer at the gym(who's 260lbs with 6 abs showing) and he said it's because he doesnt train in the lower repetitions, so his body wasn't used to the high weight for 1 rep. I still personally think it's muscle fatigue, but what do you guys think?
    Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section.

xephonics is offline Associate Member
    the reps before the max were a bit too high imho, he would have already had muscle fatigue.

and imho, the calcs are just theoretical, so getting bummed over not being able to hit what they say is a bit silly.

ninesecz is offline AR's Mass Monster
    Blog Entries
    You have to remember 1 Rep Max = 1 Rep... Not 1 Rep after doing 3-4 sets!! Try it next time after doing just a warm up set They are also desinged to give you a good idea because with most people, after maxing out, you have ruined your workout!

Here is what I have always gone by and it has always been within 10# for me

225 for 8 = 315 for 1
    315 for 8 = 405 for 1
    405 for 8 = 495 for 1

You can cut these in half and in quarters and get close to where you are! I knpow I just did 365 for 6 and was able to easily do 405 for a couple so again it is really close (for me anyway) good luck!

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I can hit 275 for 8 but havent yet to have gone over 325 for 1...... Something isn`t right I will max out tonight and see where I get too. Maybe it is a fatigue factor......

CMonkey is offline Associate Member
    I think alot of maxing is pure psychological. I was at 295 for 5, could not get 315 up. Seeing those three plates on each side psyched me out. Ended up having my spotter just add 5 and 10's without me seeing what was on there. Worked pretty good, put 330 up.

Blog Entries
    Mental issues can cause you all sorts of problems.. I never think of it like that.. Had a guy put it to me like this once.. adding 15# to the bar is only like adding a gallon of milk to each side.. It helped me.. I never let the mental aspect get in my way anymore.. I just do not ever have anyone give me a "lift off" from the rack anymore.. This can actually screw you up cause they are helping you pick up that weight, you a sense of it being light, then when they let go and put all that extra eight on to you.. It can really screw you up! It did for me 1 time when I was doing 415# so I never ever now have someone help me unrack the weight. I unrack it myself this way I know exactly how much weight I am dealig with before it goes down to my chest!

xephonics is offline Associate Member
    yeah mental issues can kill your lifts VERY easily

Yeah you guys are all right. Thanks so much bros!

Blog Entries
    do you mean that each of us are right (All Right) or do you mean that we are.. "Alright!"
    Just wondering LOL

You are all right(correct) and you're all alright! hahaha

Thread Information