sweet is offline Associate Member

How to inject without leakage

Hey guys, I posted this before but it was erased last time the board went down. It is the actual procedure to do IM injections directly out of my nursing textbook. So here it is again, hope it helps somebody.

It is recommended that, when administering IM injections, the Z-track method be used to minimise irritation by sealing the medication in muscle tissue. The nurse selects an IM site, preferably in larger, deeper muscles such as the ventrogluteal muscle. A new needle must be applied to the syringe after preparing the medication so that no solution remains on the needle shaft. After preparing the site with an antiseptic swab, the nurse pulls the overlying skin and subcutaneous tissues approximately 2.5-3.5 cm (1-1.5 in) laterally to the side. Holding the skin taut with the nondominant hand, the nurse injects the needle deep into the muscle. With practice, the nurse learns to hold the syringe and aspirate with one hand. The nurse injects the medication slowly if there is no blood return on aspiration. The needle remains inserted for 10 seconds to allow the medication to disperse evenly. The nurse then releases the skin after withdrawing the needle. This leaves a zig-zag path that seals the needle track where the tissue planes slide across each other. The medication can not escape from the muscle tissue.

Here is the diagram.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to inject without leakage-small.jpg  

Cynical is offline Associate Member
    ive never had problems w/ leakage but still a good post

Farmer is offline Member
    Yeah, they use that method when giving iron shots because the iron can permanently "stain" the skin like a tatoo in the sense...good post though..

peace

skii96 is offline Member
    Also injecting slower will help with leakage.

FKNMONSTER is offline Junior Member
    me never have leakage, make sure to bury it in deep and as skii96 said, inject slowly with patients and steady...

TheRequiem is offline Junior Member
    Very interesting.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    One thing I see wrong with this, if you are self injecting, it is a pain in the arse to hold the skin taunt and inject with the other hand. I mean it can be done, but personally I would rather leave my other hand to help control the syringe.
    To me there is nothing more painful than trying to manuver a syringe once it has been inserted into the muscle. I don't know about you guys but that hurts, and also I notice I am sorer the next day when this happens. When I use the other hand to help control the syringe, I can stop the pin and the syringe from moving around, and keep it stable. I don't know maybe I am not a pro yet? I am speaking of mostly thigh shots here, which are my favorite.
    I have just a little bit of blood that usually comes out of the skin after I inject, no big deal to me, i just pad it with alcohol and put a bandaid on it.
    Good post though, very informative.

dickhead is offline New Member
    great info. make alot of sense.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Thanks for posting and uploading the illustration - great info!

I'll give ya a big BUMP too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to inject without leakage-bump.gif  

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin
    nice post, i saw that picture in my friends nursing text also. stretching the skin also has the added effect of making the actual penetration of the needle hurt less (initial prick) because the skin breaks easier under the needle when it is stretched taut.

goos post... BUMP

wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver
    Good ass info i need to remember that for my next cycle

xhybridx is offline New Member
    seriously, i had a few times where the shit started coming back out like pus -=/ now i know why. thanks sweet.

bump!

Originally posted by Sicilian30
    One thing I see wrong with this, if you are self injecting, it is a pain in the arse to hold the skin taunt and inject with the other hand.
    Well, I tried it for my saturday morning quad shot and it works well, but don't let go of the skin you stretched while the pin is still in!!! Ouch!

The hand you are using to stretcth the skin is commited to that and cannot help stabilise the dart so I'll try and see if I cannot find another way to stretch the skin... with a wide hemostat maybe?

Oh and a good BUMP to a great thread.

Red

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    I had leakage just today! About a drop ran out. It's odd cause the injection was VERY slow. Took me about 2 whole minutes to shoot it!

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    but don't let go of the skin you stretched while the pin is still in!!! Ouch!
    Ya I tried this method before and the skin slipped away from me. The needle did a full sweep. Ouch! It was the only "bad" glute shot I ever had. I'm curious about leakage becaues I've never had any that I could notice. I inject slowly and usually use a 1 or 1.5 inch dart. Are you guys getting leakage from 5/8 darts or from longer ones also?

Good info to post buds. People should master the one handed shot, IMO.

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    Havent had leakage yet and I hope i dont

good post though

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Good post!

Keep this one healthy for all the premed students on AR

I heard that to minimize leakage you have to avoid products with Olestra in them, er, oh no never mind, it't not that kind of leakage!

Red

Andy is offline Associate Member
    Good post

bump for CrazyMan

Red

Thread Information