nautica is offline Associate Member

A thought for those being tested - If over 6:1

THE EFFECTS OF STORAGE CONDITIONS ON THE LEVELS OF TESTOSTERONE AND EPITESTOSTERONE IN URINE SAMPLES
    Keith R Williams, Gavin B Trotter
    Laboratory of the Government Chemist, Queens Road, Teddington, Middlesex., TW11 OLY United Kingdom

The effects of various storage conditions on the concentration and the ratio between testosterone and epitestosterone in their free and conjugated forms in a pooled, male urine sample were examined.
    Stage 1 was designed to determine the effects of temperature, time, container type and sterility of the urine sample. The experimental design was based on a Taguchi L16 matrix mirrored to reflect the time variable requiring eight levels.

The second series of experiments examined the effects of light, radiation, agitation, storage under nitrogen and the inclusion of a preservative based on a full factorial design with five factors, each at two levels. For these variables, sterile urine samples were stored in a single container type, at 25°C for seven days prior to analysis.

The concentration of the free and conjugated testosterone and epitestosterone were determined by GC-MS using deuterium labelled internal standards after hydrolysis, C8 solid phase extraction followed by liquid-liquid clean up and enol-derivatisation.

The change in these concentrations and ratios are important as unsuitable storage conditions may result in a testosterone/epitestosterone ratio that may exceed the International Olympic Committee level of 6:1 and result in a ban or legal action.

XBiker is offline Retired Vet

Re: A thought for those being tested - If over 6:1

Originally posted by nautica
    THE EFFECTS OF STORAGE CONDITIONS ON THE LEVELS OF TESTOSTERONE AND EPITESTOSTERONE IN URINE SAMPLES
    Keith R Williams, Gavin B Trotter
    Laboratory of the Government Chemist, Queens Road, Teddington, Middlesex., TW11 OLY United Kingdom

The effects of various storage conditions on the concentration and the ratio between testosterone and epitestosterone in their free and conjugated forms in a pooled, male urine sample were examined.
    Stage 1 was designed to determine the effects of temperature, time, container type and sterility of the urine sample. The experimental design was based on a Taguchi L16 matrix mirrored to reflect the time variable requiring eight levels.

The second series of experiments examined the effects of light, radiation, agitation, storage under nitrogen and the inclusion of a preservative based on a full factorial design with five factors, each at two levels. For these variables, sterile urine samples were stored in a single container type, at 25°C for seven days prior to analysis.

The concentration of the free and conjugated testosterone and epitestosterone were determined by GC-MS using deuterium labelled internal standards after hydrolysis, C8 solid phase extraction followed by liquid-liquid clean up and enol-derivatisation.

The change in these concentrations and ratios are important as unsuitable storage conditions may result in a testosterone/epitestosterone ratio that may exceed the International Olympic Committee level of 6:1 and result in a ban or legal action.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but translation here is this...

If your piss sits around to long in a mayonaise jar, you may test for what would appear to be steroid use ?
    Last edited by XBiker; 11-17-2001 at 11:11 AM.

Re: Re: A thought for those being tested - If over 6:1

Originally posted by XBiker

Correct me if I am wrong, but translation here is this...

If you piss sits around to long in a mayonaise jar, you may test for what would appear to be steroid use?

Basically. But, I know that when college track athletes are tested at a meet. They line up about 100 people. Run them through over about 3-4 hours. Then take the sample put them in a van. Then take the samples to be tested. I would say those test could fall into this category.

Re: A thought for those being tested - If over 6:1

Originally posted by nautica
    A thought for those being tested

[...]

[...]

I would like to see the details of this study. Which factors contributed most to the skewed tests?

If you have a link to this, please post it.

No more info than you posted.

I was curious as to what type of experiment this was.

What factors lead most to the "higher" concentrations of test levels?

Interesting, but I would really like to see the methodology and underlying data set/variable set.

Thread Information