Aodha is offline Associate Member

Heart and steroids?

I have a freind that was planning on running a first cycle with me sometime soon. I talked to him today and he says that he went to the doctor "today" and the doc says his heart isn't in the best shape. So he says he's not gonna run a cycle yet.
    I was just wondering from those that know, in general can steroids effect the heart negatively?
    He never said exactly what the doc said was bad when I asked. Keep in mind he is the type to kind of back out of things. I kinda think he's just saying this cause he read something bad on steroids or something. Don't worry, I'm not pressuring him or anything, I just wanna know about steroids and the effect it might have on the heart.

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    smart guy.

if one has a heart problem it would be smart to avoid AAS.

peachfuzz is offline Anabolic Member
    agreed

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    agree as well. i would just take his word for it, instaed of trying to talk him into it and possibly causing him some serious damage.

Moto

Quote Originally Posted by MotoLifter View Post
    agree as well. i would just take his word for it, instaed of trying to talk him into it and possibly causing him some serious damage.

Moto
    Yep, that's why I said I'm not pressuring him.

Ripped Mass is offline Associate Member
    I'm not sure what pathway but it can do damage to the left ventricle. AAS can raise cholesterol levels and blood pressure as well, your heart starts pumping more blood than it is used to with the extra fluids running through your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Aodha View Post
    Yep, that's why I said I'm not pressuring him.

Interesting. Thanks.

love2liftiron is offline Junior Member
    agreed.....and putting alot of weight on in a short peroid can add stress to the heart....im not in shape yet,but im doin cardio for this reason and all the others.....good luck!!!

corsa5000 is offline Associate Member
    i can always feel an increased heart rate while on cycle, i imagine if someone with heart problems experienced this it could cause some damage if their heart couldnt handle it

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Steriod 's have been proved to be great for HEALTHY adult males.....

I wouldn't chance it.

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Steriod 's have been proved to be great for HEALTHY adult males.....

I wouldn't chance it.
    Have they been proven to be great at the doses a lot of us run them at?

Im not disagreeing, just wondering if those studies have been done. Most studies Ive seen are at lower dosing, more in line with HRT. Im HRT X 5 or more.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by chamberman1979 View Post
    I'm not sure what pathway but it can do damage to the left ventricle. AAS can raise cholesterol levels and blood pressure as well, your heart starts pumping more blood than it is used to with the extra fluids running through your body.
    Correct.

AAS have been recorded too cause left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH), hypertension, impaired diastolic filling, arrhythmia, erythrocytosis, altered lipoprotein profile and thrombosis. All directly or indirectly effect the heart and its function.

Quote Originally Posted by cgb6810 View Post

Im not disagreeing, just wondering if those studies have been done. Most studies Ive seen are at lower dosing, more in line with HRT. Im HRT X 5 or more.
    HRT is in general good for males. Continued exogenous testosterone administration in doses above 100-150mg/wk, is not.

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    Thanks for the info Swifto.

As a masters competitor this makes me ponder my future. I have no problem with HRT later, as long as there is a later. Better get to the Dr for a check up, its been a while.

Thanks for the info Swifto.

As a masters competitor this makes me ponder my future. I have no problem with HRT later, as long as there is a later. Better get to the Dr for a check up, its been a while.
    If you get regular BW, use conservative doses, eat well and do sufficient cardio. I dont see a problem.

BW is key. Get your heart checked completely too.

Your heart isnt something you should be ****ing with. You only get one shot with it IMHO.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

From what i see members on here run ? Hell no.
    I never ran over 500 of test and i don't feel i will ever need to. Thats just me.

Immortal Soldier is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifto View Post
    Correct.

AAS have been recorded too cause left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH), hypertension, impaired diastolic filling, arrhythmia, erythrocytosis, altered lipoprotein profile and thrombosis. All directly or indirectly effect the heart and its function.
    Basically what Swifto is trying to say is by the time were 50 years old we are going to need heart surgery like Arnold did

i find this interesting-

The debate on the effect of anabolic substances on the structure of the heart reached another phase, since Finnish scientists studied twenty local bodybuilders who had just finished their cycles. Steroids don’t damage the heart, the researchers found. But the combination of steroids and growth hormone does.

In 2001 Australian physicians found the hypertrophy in clean strength athletes and postulated that this condition was caused by weight training, not steroid use . They also found that the hypertrophy didn’t impair their subjects’ health.

Some more info from an article i was reading. This is also an interesting point.

Ok last one- this shows the differnce in values between a placebo group, a steroid use group and a steroid + Growth hormone group. It is interesting to see the effects the varoius drugs have on the heart.

Control Steroids Steroids + GH

Heart rate 66 bpm 65 bpm 65 bpm
    Systolic blood pressure 131 mmHg 131 mmHg 130 mmHg
    Diastolic blood pressure 77 mmHg 76 mmHg 89 mmHg
    Left ventricular weight 167 g 257 g 342 g
    Ratio left ventricular weight: length 93 g/m 141 g/m 191 g/m
    Relative wall thinkness 0,37 0,42 0,53

FranciscoG is offline Anabolic Member
    ^ How old are you? Age does make a difference on the blood work. The tests look ok.

Any genetic predisposition for cardiomyopathy will be exacerbated by use of excessive amounts of aas. The cadiomyopathy should be addressed prior to even use of HRT.

FranciscoG is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by corsa5000 View Post
    In 2001 Australian physicians found the hypertrophy in clean strength athletes and postulated that this condition was caused by weight training, not steroid use . They also found that the hypertrophy didn’t impair their subjects’ health.

Some more info from an article i was reading. This is also an interesting point.
    Thats true. Although, if the hypertrophy manifested prior to use, then the subject will have a problem.

Thread Information