kites is offline Junior Member

Reached 4.8% BF. Have a slight question.

Ok, had the seven point caliper body fat test done on me. result after 6 weeks of sust and winny cycle. 9.8% down to 4.8%. I couldnt believe the computer screen. Well anyways the thing is bogus anyways because when I look in the mirror I see like 14%. I have good everything, but I dont have abs and I have nice love handles. So whats going on here, where is the discrepency. Oh by the way im 23 209lbs, and I used to be hugely fat 280lbs, before I started my fitness challenge.

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    Good job on the weight loss but if you were truely 4.8% bf you'd see abs.
    How long is your cycle going to run for...or are u done?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    They have a 5 percent give or take. But it largely depends on the trainers ability to use them correctly. Was it the same trainer both times? If it was then you can assume he pinched the same and gather that you lost 5% bodyfat... but your actual bodyfat is is up for debate.

Was the person that did it your trainer? I have seen some pretty rediculous trainers that will clip real high to sell sessions - and then clip low to say they are progressing. It's sales game for many in chain gyms...

But with the same person taking your BF - you can at the least estimate the change in bodyfat. The best way to know your actual bodyfat is Hydrostatic BF Testing - ask them if that is available in your area.

yep it was the same trainer, no i dont pay him to train me, says the discrepency is that my problem area is that my entire fat concentration is in my midsection and my handles, since i was fat before, its going to be hard to lose the accumulated fat. most of my areas, quad, tricep, back, pec, side, are around 3% but my handle measure like 25 on the caliper and that would throw things off. The computer doesnt account for my handles and computes what the normal human being with my weight and height and measurements. It doesnt account for the mutant love handles that I have.

Rastus is offline Associate Member
    4.8% is really low. You should see abs, viens, muscle striations pretty easliy. Even ab veins. I was at about 7-8% a few months ago and I could see all those things. I think it's the user of the calipers. And unfortunately, the mid section is the last area to loose fat. That's still good progress, though. Keep it up.

Ill post pics tomorrow. I look quite good, according to my new girlfriend I could strip, but Im a damn perfectionist unfortunately. I dont see anything but love handles when I look at myself in the mirror. Its a complex that I have, kinda like chicks with their butts.

mmaximus25 is offline Senior Member
    When he did the caliper test did he give you the full scale of rating... meaning the charted number per body section.

Remember that ectomorphs, mesomorph, and endomorphs have different builds and a 9% will look different on all. That percentage is an average... I have to be a 6% to see my abs with out flexing, but at 4 and under, every time I move I seem to flex automatically. I know this concept may be difficult to understand but I have the frame of and endomorph but through consistent training and dieting I resemble a mesomorph. I had to concentrate on my legs…. ok Off track
    Ok plain and simple to me mesomorphs at 9% can see their abs like I can see mine at 6%… With that get the guy to give you your full scale so you can see where you were charted at chest, abdomen, etc. and see if he didn’t make a mistake averaging, you know math… not all of us can multiply and divide…Try and measure your self… this is not very accurate like said above but should give you an estimate. The skin fold test can be very off if dehydrated due to shrunken fat cells…

Thread Information