Grof is offline New Member

bulking @ 48 year

Hi gents,
    I am lifting weights since my 18th with short break-ups. Had couple of competition when I was in 20-es.
    Now I am 48 , at 255 with 20% bf. height is 6'1. I can say am still strong bench 345, dead lift over 400, squat over 300... so I have never used AAS. Would I gain anything at this age , how about health risks, can someone more knowledgeable explain pros, or cons. I would like to do bulking cycle. tnx

FranciscoG is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grof View Post
    Hi gents,
    I am lifting weights since my 18th with short break-ups. Had couple of competition when I was in 20-es.
    Now I am 48 , at 255 with 20% bf. height is 6'1. I can say am still strong bench 345, dead lift over 400, squat over 300... so I have never used AAS. Would I gain anything at this age , how about health risks, can someone more knowledgeable explain pros, or cons. I would like to do bulking cycle. tnx
    First step is to go get blood work done. In most countried you can get lab work done and have answers within a week. Most doc´s offices will tell you over the phone how much lab work will run (usually pretty cheap)

As for the pros and cons what all do you want to know?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Bulking at 20% BF is a great way to go from out of shape to obese. I would not recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmDoc-Cyrus View Post
    First step is to go get blood work done. In most countried you can get lab work done and have answers within a week. Most doc´s offices will tell you over the phone how much lab work will run (usually pretty cheap)

As for the pros and cons what all do you want to know?
    why do I need blood work , went couple of days for a checkup and all is in normal.
    for pros and cons I would like to know much as possible.
    tnx

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    Bulking at 20% BF is a great way to go from out of shape to obese. I would not recommend it.
    so what is your suggestion, to have cycle for cutting?
    give me more info , why or why not.
    tnx

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    so what is your suggestion, to have cycle for cutting?
    give me more info , why or why not.
    tnx
    Whether you "cut" or "bulk" (not a fan of either term) will be determined by your diet not what you choose to run with it as far as AAS goes. As far as "why"...20% bodyfat is already at an unhealthy level and will leave you more prone to estrogenic side effects if you increase it. Not to mention the next person who looks better @ 20% BF compared to under 15% will be the first.

BIG_GUNS_21 is offline Member
    Most will suggest you cut down to 15% bf or lower before you cycle...And doing so with diet and cardio.

The reason is that fat aids in the conversion of testosterone to estrogen and can amplify the bad side effects such as gyno, water retention, acne, BP and cholestorol.

Personally I think that if you use some test while you diet with a good AI like armidex it does help to maintain focus, strength and muscle mass while you lose the BF. I definatly would not bulk at the point you are at now...I would get your diet in check, do some cardio and research....Then look at maybe 400mg/week test c and .25mg/day dex to maintain what you have. WHen you get below 14-15%BF then think of the bulk.

Its always good to get blood work and BP done to see where you start from (like a base line) and also at 48 get your testosterone checked...Never know you may qulify for TRT and get your insurance to pay for part of your cycle.

smiler is offline Senior Member
    well i respectfully disagree with several here. nothing at all wrong with bulking with plenty of bf imho. not to be Mr "o" but just to be huge... no worries. yes i agree with all the sides you gotta watch for and YES do your cardio! i look at it this way... if noone was bulking at over 20% bf our beloved NFL defensive linemen would all be way way less "large" most bros here are bodybuilders so when a guy says 20% bf most of us just think of a fat slob eating bigmacs all day. furthermore its very easy at your age to get on TRT. find a good doc who wont mind giving you a nice dose and go for it bro! watch your blood pressure, take your arimidex and go bust your nuttts in the gym! good luck bro! i would love to see you get with it and update us. again absolutely no disrespect to anyone else who gave advice whatsoever this is simply my 2cents

I will have to agree with smiler. There are benefits to being below 15% bf when you cycle, but there is no set % for safety. Many people like nfl players who use gear on a regular basis. You just have to watch for the sides that fireguy mentioned. With the right chems to help prevent these, there is no reason you can't cycle safely. Just make sure your diet is in check and you do plenty cardio.

Blood work is a must, even if you are 25 and in great shape. You can never be sure that your liver may not want to work after you cycle. Or kidneys, or anything that could go wrong. Its better safe than sorry i'm sure. But nobody can make you get the lab work. Its just advice

good luck,

"dirty d"

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Side effects aren't the only reason not to cycle at a higher body fat.

It's significantly harder to build quality muscle the higher your body fat is, for numerous reasons.

As far as the power lifters and NFL players who use at a higher body fat: most users here are not professional athletes.

I think it's pretty safe to say that most users on this site are after the aesthetic benefits of AAS.

And if that's what you're after, you won't get it with a BF over 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    Side effects aren't the only reason not to cycle at a higher body fat.

It's significantly harder to build quality muscle the higher your body fat is, for numerous reasons.

As far as the power lifters and NFL players who use at a higher body fat: most users here are not professional athletes.

I think it's pretty safe to say that most users on this site are after the aesthetic benefits of AAS.

And if that's what you're after, you won't get it with a BF over 15%.
    i guess it all depends on ones determination. im not saying he is in the NFL i was simply saying higher BF will not prevent use of AAS from working. i actually think this guy at 48 with years in and out of the gym is prolly a much better candidate than a very large portion of bros on here. at 48yr higher BF at least hes not a 16 year old kid jumping in with both feet. now if we were talking 35+ BF that's different just due to med reasons. as i said many many older dudes are on TRT which on its own will reduce BF. so again just my opinion..go for it. start with test hopefully script, clean up diet get with cardio and see how it works for you. i think a bit of test, lots of hard work, he might be thrilled at the mirror in 3 or 4 months.

and just to add something a bit silly but worth thinking about.... if you have ever watched the tv show "biggest loser" can you imagine what 4 or 500mg test ew would have added to some of those guys? not saying start the 1st week or 2 but with that kinda work.... just something to think about bro

thanks guys got some info from you, but I will do more reading before I do anything.
    First I am going to get lean 15% bf. and after I will see .
    tnx

thanks guys got some info from you, but I will do more reading before I do anything.
    First I am going to get lean 15% bf. and after I will see .
    tnx
    holly crap! i applaud you! the man says thanx and gonna do some more reading/ research. one of the best replies I've seen on any board! peace

Thread Information